Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
65K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  robertde12e 
G
#1 ·
Can someone suggest 5 easy to learn VH songs on guitar ?

#2 ·
Dude Van Halen and easy guitar songs is an oxymoron lol:D here are some of the easier ones for me to play ( I doubt if I can give ya five lol) but keep in mind this is just IMO, for me they are still not all that easy lol

1.You Really Got Me
2.Ain't Talkin Bout Love (except for the solo for me it's a bitch to play lol)
3.Little Dreamer (main riff I can do rest of it not soo much lol)

#4 · (Edited)
5 Easy VH songs that I find pretty easy that anybody could porbably play are

1. Seventh Seal
2. Unchained
3. Ain't Talking bout Love
4. Running With the Devil
5. When It's Love

Actually all Van Halen is fairly simple. first when you start playing learn main riffs then go to another song cause learning one full Van Halen song is a platefull. I'd learn the intor Ain't Talking bout love then the intro to Humans Being. then I'd try to learn more. But I find the earlier Van Halen stuff easier to play that the Sammy Stuff. I'd also like to add that I have been playing guitar for 1 yr and I got 7 out of the 11 songs on the first album done. Not trying to show off but it doesn't matter how long you have been playing you just have to start thinking the way Eddie would. Once you start playing enough VH you will start to think and play like EVH, you will be able to improvise and add parts that you'd think Eddie would add. I wouldn't rather play anything else other than Van Halen.

#7 ·
Stiglar said:
dude unchained sounds easy but nailing the feel and timing of that pre chorus and even the chorus is pretty damn hard !
You got that right Stiglar, I can play the chords to Panama and Unchained but it doesn't sound anything like Ed. :lol: I can't get the damn brown sound either and those are the main reasons I don't cover VH songs and post 'em cause even though I can pull 'em off...the magic just ain't there.:ball:

#10 ·
POD GOD said:
1. You Really Got me
2. Unchained
3. Ain't Talking bout Love
4. Running With the Devil
5. Eruption.....:lol:
Eruption..:lol: :lol: I tried to play eruption once and it was friggin' comedy. I laughed at myself for several minutes while trying and just gave up.

#11 ·
Riff Addict said:
You got that right Stiglar, I can play the chords to Panama and Unchained but it doesn't sound anything like Ed. :lol: I can't get the damn brown sound either and those are the main reasons I don't cover VH songs and post 'em cause even though I can pull 'em off...the magic just ain't there.:ball:
when you play Panama and songs like Unchained upstroke the into. It might sound better. It takes some getting used to but it helps. go to this site, jfrocks.com, it will help you with all your VH needs. It did for me!

#12 ·
Hmm, thanks I'll take a look at the website. I wish I could get Ed's sound out of my Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Tube amp. I don't have alot of effects, just basic chorus/delay pedals and I've also tried to get his sound with Guitar Port with no luck. If it ain't just right, his songs sound rediculous.

#15 ·
They are all deceptively easy but, with out Edward's flair and the wonderful short cuts he discovered, his stuff sounds silly when played by other guitarists. Ain't Talkin' Bout Love is very difficult to make sound right without the proper application of delay! That song has something in common with the Edge's playing on the Joshuah Tree album. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

#17 ·

ain't talkin bout love

pretty woman

dance the night away.

to get his early sound-well the general direction is to-have a hot rod tube amp
use an mxr flange w/ rate at zero and depth halfway, don't over-distort use mid-gain level, use humbucker gtrs-wolfgangs are nice, or a hot rodded jackson w/ a good p/u. Then use the delay and reverb at 100% and pan 100% left or right.

#25 ·
Come on guys don't take this so seriously, Evergrey took a swipe at Eruption and I just had to respond. After all this thread was about easy VH riffs to learn. Now Evergrey is banned!?!? As for my tastes, the only guitarist worth arguing for is Holdsworth so, forget my Satch and Vai comments above. Though there are some pretty damn good guitarist on this site!

#26 ·
Evergrey was another eternal clone that's why he was banned ...

vai and satch are indeed off this planet , but i don't know i still wouldn't consider eruption something for a beginner .... that crazy picking style is impossible to emulate i don't care what anyone says !

as for holdsworth .. i don't even wanna think about learning some of his tunes lol i just dont have the technique for that hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.