Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Lou Reed - 1974-10-27 - Dayton, OH (SBD/FLAC)

Tags
lou reed
16K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  Patrick2Dark 
#1 · (Edited)
Lou Reed - 1974-10-27 - Dayton, OH
(Soundboard FLAC)

"....when you flip out on Thorazine and crystal smoke, you CHOKE like a son of a gun....."

WARNING: this is probably the best Lou Reed live recording you will ever hear - play LOUD!

Palace Theatre

(with some tracks from the Felt Forum, New York, 09 October 1974)

lineage:
CDr - (EAC, secure mode) - wav - flac (level 8) - you

disc 1
01 Tuning* 1.26
02 Intro* 2.38
03 Sweet Jane* 5.21
04 Vicious* 6.26
05 Ride Sally Ride 4.24
06 Heroin 11.13
07 Kill Your Sons 7.35
08 NY Stars 5.00

disc 2
01 Animal Language 3.08
02 Waiting For The Man/Sally Can't Dance 9.38
03 Bass Solo 3.46
04 Walk On The Wild Side* 4.26
05 White Light White Heat 5.40
06 NY Telephone Conversation/Goodnight Ladies 1.44
07 Rock And Roll 12.38

Tracks D101, D102, D103, D104 and D204 are MONO soundboard recordings from the Felt Forum, New York, 09 October 1974
The remaining tracks are STEREO soundboard recordings from the Palace Theatre, Dayton, 27 October 1974

Lou Reed: vocals. amphetamines, foul language
Danny Weiss: guitar
Prakash John: bass (definitely tracks D101, D102, D103, D104, D204 and possibly all the others)
Peter Hodgeson (?): bass (possibly the tracks recorded at Dayton)
Michael Fonfara: keyboards
Peter "Mouse" Johnson: drums

The late 1974 US tour to promote "Sally Can't Dance" was Lou's amphetamine and alcohol - fuelled assault on the unsuspecting youth of North America. The RCA publicity machine had moved into top gear, but Lou was speeding way, way ahead of them. While they were pushing him as a user-friendly glam-rock/white soul superstar, he was dying iron crosses in his hair, living with a half-Mexican transsexual called Rachel and (simulating) shooting up on stage. The new LP and 45 were being being heavily promoted via nationwide TV ads featuring our man in trademark leather jacket, blonde hair and shades (...follow the bouncing ball and sing along with Lou.....). Whatever RCA were doing, it worked, and "Sally" was in the US top 10 LP chart. Lou was later quoted as saying "....I slept through that LP - whatever they suggested I said yes....". It seemed that the further Lou descended into self-parody, the more records he sold, and the more pressure RCA put on him to produce even more "product". This would ultimately backfire in mid 1975, when he vomited up "Metal Machine Music" and then had a very public breakdown during the Australian leg of the '75 world tour. Lou wouldn't perform in public again until late 1976.

I think this is a simply outstanding show. Lou may be out of it, but the band most certainly are not. I love the way you can hear Lou slapping the mic stand at the end of "Vicious". The vocals alternate between detached and manic throughout this set, but are particularly expressive during "Kill Your Sons" (surely the best EVER live version of this song). It's as if he's standing on the edge of a cliff and he's just about to jump off because he KNOWS he can fly. This tour was the only outing for "NY Stars" and "Animal Language" - these live renditions sound better than the studio versions to me. You can hear him sneering as he spits out the words to "NY Stars". It sounds as if someone broke a string during "Animal Language": the band start a loose jam while it's being replaced. Lou starts vamping the words to "Waiting" during the jam, and just continues singing it when the band move on to the "Sally Can't Dance" riff. The end result is a unique medley of "Waiting" and "Sally" (you have to wonder how long it took Lou to realise he was singing the wrong song - he did pretty much the same at the Chalmette show in November, singing "Vicious" while the band played "Sweet Jane"). "White Light White Heat" is a heavy metal prototype for every late 1970s punk band. "Goodnight Ladies" is a gas, with the whole band gathering round the microphone - you can (just) hear someone in the background asking where the "Jacks" (Jack Daniels) is.....they were having a good time. "Rock And Roll" is simply sublime.

The stereo recording made at Dayton was missing "Intro/Sweet Jane" and part of "Vicious" and there was a tape break during "Wild Side": mono soundboard recordings from the New York concert have been used to replace those songs.

Scans included with torrent files:

1: US Press Kit for "Sally Can't Dance"
2: US "Sally Can't Dance" 1974 tour itinerary
3: Ticket stubs - New York 09 October 1974 and Dayton 27 October 1974

mirror:

mirror:

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi! This rendition of Walk on the Wild Side is taken from the LP Lou Reed Live. It was recorded live at the Howard Stein's Academy of Music in NYC on the 21st of december of 1973. This concert was used to fill two single LP's. It first appeared partially (5 songs) in RocK'nRoll Animal (1974) and then, one year later, due to the great success of Rock'n´Roll Animal, in Lou Reed Live (1975) which included 6 other songs. Two other songs were not included in neither LP.
You can download the whole concert in flac and 5+ (excellent, soundboard quality) from the following Link:

http://bootblogger-lyoko.blogspot.com.es/2011/12/lou-reed-academy-of-music-19731221.html

LLL (Long live Lou!) :tu:

#8 ·
:bowdown: I'm confused - I've just re-read your post and understood that you actually reply to 99% of my questions above.... sorry

thanks a lot for the link- this is an outstanding show (SQ awesome) and performance is a veritable tuerie (the guitar solo on Lady Day... :shock: OMFG !) - is there a fan artwork around for this show (highres quality) ?

talking about Walks On The Wild Side but on the jazzy side... I have a concert I'd like to ID and find in FLAC which is jazzy and has a fantastic performance of Walk On The Wide Side with Don Cherry.
Do you have any idea of the gig and title of this CD ? My guess it that it would be around 1976 era... it was at the time with the snail-mail trade, no inkjet deluxe artwork (and I was too lazy to put a post-it on it with the title... still a chance I can listen to it !)

#9 ·
This show you mention most probably comes from the 1976 "Rock'n'Roll Heart" american tour. Don Cherry played in several shows of that tour and the most circulated bootleg from that tour is the one recorded at Los Angeles on the 1.12.76, I believe. My guess is your concert corresponds to that gig, although it might come from several others. You can download some of these 76's gigs from this page:

http://bootblogger-lyoko.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Lou Reed 1976

LLL (Long live Lou!) :icon_thum

#11 ·
I'm not so sure this show took place at the Palace Theatre in Dayton as it appears that this venue was last used for music in the late 1960s. From an article titled When Dayton Went to the Movies from Dayton History Books online:

Palace (1927-68)

1125 W. Fifth

On Christmas Day in 1927 the Palace opened to an overflowing crowd of theater-goers. Patrons were greeted by Clifford Smith playing music on the new $25,000 Wurlitzer organ that had been installed. The ceiling and dome of the main auditorium was decorated with clouds and shooting stars that glowed in the electric lighting. Iron gates and expensive drapes reminded one visitor of "the days when kings and queens built their stately castles high upon the cliffs."

The theater had a seating capacity of 1300 in the main section and 500 in the balcony, making the show house one of the largest in the Midwest at the time. In back of the forty foot stage were individual dressing rooms with shower baths and other facilities for the actors that would appear under the theater’s spotlights. The new building, which also had an attached ballroom that could hold 1000 people, represented an outlay of over half a million dollars and stock was sold to patrons who were anxious to become owners of "The Pride of the West Side".

Built by the Dayton West Side Amusement Corporation, the Palace was planned as an "amusement center" for the black population of Dayton, who, at that time, were barred from downtown theaters. Dr. Lloyd H. Cox was responsible for the original idea, saying that he believed that the project would fill a great want in that section of the city.

A vaudeville circuit called the T.O.B.A. was hired to provide entertainment. T.O.B.A., which stood for Theatre Owners Booking Association, was also nicknamed Toby, or Tough On Black Actors, by its all black cast of performers, because it paid so little money.

For those performers with top billing, though, the association paid very well. Bessie Smith was a headliner, as were Butterbeans and Susie, Wilbur Seatland and his clarinet, S. H. Dudley and his mule, Hamtree Harrington, Sweet Mama Stringbean, and operatic soprano Fannie Wise to name just a few. Unfortunately, the Depression meant the death of the organization and the loss of many great actors who had to leave the business and find work elsewhere.

Around 1937 the building came to be owned by the Franklin Building and Loan Association. They, in turn, sold the theater in 1941 to the Palace Amusement Co., a Columbus group headed by Ethel Miles, for $74,000. The theater was completely remodeled with 1,100 seats, new carpet and the installation of air conditioning.

Up to this point, most of the movies had been either action or western films. The new owners expanded on the themes of the movies being shown,adding more romance and adventure films. The bill also included the usual serial chapter and bonus cartoons.

RMC Co. bought property from Palace Amusement in 1965. In May 1968 the theater was reported by a local newspaper as being in bad shape and in need of improvements. Patrons to the theater complained that the food was stale and Kool-Aid was being served instead of soft drinks. The theater closed later that year.

In 1972 the building was nicknamed the Ghetto Palace and was in use for a short time as a 20 bed dormitory for the homeless. Since that time it has remained empty.

The old building still exists, as does the marquee, although both are in need of major repair. The street and sidewalk in front of the building have been closed off, probably to prevent anyone from being hurt by the pieces that are falling from the crumbling structure. Another piece of Dayton’s history is slowly turning to dust. Fortunately, the city is learning. Hopes have been raised that perhaps the building might become part of a plan to renovate the area. Perhaps, in a few years, music will once again be heard in the historical, and irreplaceable, old Palace theater.

#16 ·
Hi Edge --I got it tonight--maybe it was the new links you posted...anyway could you check my comments on Pearl Jam Chicago 95 regarding my being unable to unzip / extract the files and if you have any suggestions let me know.
Again your work here and on TUBE is awesome. Thank you and everyone out there who recognizes how important music is and are willing to share it...we all get it!!! Too bad there are so many that don't.

#17 ·
For those that like this show, I urge to you to seek out the may 14 1974 show from Sweden. I'm sorry I don't have link, but I believe it's on this site. It's also known as " what happened to dick and Steve" .. It's a great show with excellent quality. It has the funkiest intro to sweet Jane ever.