Easy Tool songs? - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > Lessons and Tab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Harmonics1978 is on a distinguished road
Easy Tool songs?

I've been playing alot of van halen and quite abit of zep and in all been playing for 2 1/2 years but I've been trying to get into some drop D songs. To be honest its mainly Tool that I've been getting into lately and have been wanting to learn some of their songs. I a while back attempted lateralus but the timing of the song threw me completely off, I've always wanted to learn H. and stinkfist but never new where to start, when it came to doing drop D riffs and timing and such it just was very differnt from standard or half step down, can anyone suggest a two songs by Tool that are good for someone getting into there stuff? I have all there albums and dont mind what song although I'm not looking for super complicated riffs or things of that nature ( and would rather the song not be The Grudge, its just to repeative to my opionion). Anyone have an idea of two easy songs by them?
Harmonics1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Famous Artist

The Shredder89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonics1978
I've been playing alot of van halen and quite abit of zep and in all been playing for 2 1/2 years but I've been trying to get into some drop D songs. To be honest its mainly Tool that I've been getting into lately and have been wanting to learn some of their songs. I a while back attempted lateralus but the timing of the song threw me completely off, I've always wanted to learn H. and stinkfist but never new where to start, when it came to doing drop D riffs and timing and such it just was very differnt from standard or half step down, can anyone suggest a two songs by Tool that are good for someone getting into there stuff? I have all there albums and dont mind what song although I'm not looking for super complicated riffs or things of that nature ( and would rather the song not be The Grudge, its just to repeative to my opionion). Anyone have an idea of two easy songs by them?
No offense, but Tool isn't THAT hard compared to VH . Their music is still amazing though .

There is a lot of syncopations and odd timing in there music. One thing i can suggest with that is to take something like a five or seven note pattern and play it all with standard 16th notes. Something like this:

E:-8--5-----------8--5-----------
B:-------8--5-----------8--5-----
G:-------------7--------------7---

The second pattern falls differently on the beat and gives the line a rhythmically interesting sound similar to some of the Tool stuff.

A good song of theirs that is pretty easy is "The Patient" (on the Lateralus album i think ). It has a cool riff that has alot of variations throughout the song and it goes something like this:
-----Palm mute----
E:-----------------------------------
B:----------------------------------
G:-----------------------------------
D:----------------------------------
A:---0--5--7--0--5--7-----7-----7--
E:----------------------8-----5-----

At least that is how i do it. Good luck
The Shredder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Arpeggio is on a distinguished road
Zep and VH got some drop D stuff. Kashmir is a very cool song and VH's infamous unchained comes to mind. Those would be my fav drop D along with King's X its love backing riff and Zakk wyldes Loosin' your mind.
Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Starving Artist

FreeTacoSunday is on a distinguished road
hmm
FreeTacoSunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
van halen, zakk wylde