Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Off Topic > The Lounge

Old 01-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
frozenfury
Baluchitherium

frozenfury is on a distinguished road

Do you see Music in color?

Donít worry gang, Iím known for starting stupid topics. I was wondering if you folks ever see music in a color. Like when I listen to some songs a color pops into mind. For some reason when ever I listen to ĎHear about it laterí by VH, I always see the color purple lol. What about you?

Old 01-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Missy
I'm a Very Good Girl !

Missy is on a distinguished road
and when again exactly did they let you out of the Nut Farm !!!!!
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
armada1
Backup Artist

armada1 is on a distinguished road
Cool

I see music as colors also

Too under stand modes is to a painter under standing color.

Cmaj mode has no sharps or flats..... CDEFGABC

Cmaj Ionian mode Major chord prog... pop mainly ( happy sound)

Dmin Dorian mode Minor chord prog.... Blues early metal (ratt,dokken, scorpians)

Emin Phrygian mode Minor chord prog... spanish flavor (Ingwie kills on this)

Fmaj Lydian mode major really jazzy outside stuff

Gmaj Mixalydian major mode Clapton, Satch, country good stuff

A minor the Natural minor most use rock metal mode, next to penetonic

B Locrian dark minor flated 2nd and flated 5th the darkest evil mode known to manthis mode is newer metals darkest all.

Now all these modes are the same scale. (NO SHARPS OR FLATS) Just different root notes. But the color that you paint with Happy or dark.... paints the color you want.

Think if Piccaso only had 3 colors .

Now do not forget Maj & Minor Penetoinics, Blues scales(there are 6), dimished, Harmonic minor, augmented, melodic minor, chromatic minor penetonic with chromatic connecting notes, chromatic and all the variations off the Major modes to include Gypsie, Egyption and Hungarian minors. Plus 1000s more. They are all colors .

Choose your color the canvas is yours....Never say I never shared nothing, this lesson if comprehended will open your whole music universe!

Peace choose your colors to reflect how you feel!!!

Last edited by armada1; 01-16-2005 at 09:13 AM.
armada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
jimihendrix
101 Guru

jimihendrix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfury
Don’t worry gang, I’m known for starting stupid topics. I was wondering if you folks ever see music in a color. Like when I listen to some songs a color pops into mind. For some reason when ever I listen to ‘Hear about it later’ by VH, I always see the color purple lol. What about you?

hey there...do you own one of those canvas jackets that buckle up in the back?...you know...the white ones that come with all the fancy straps and shiney buckles?...just wonderin'....hee hee haw haw... (they're coming to take me away...they're coming to take me away....)
jimihendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
MattM
Arena Artist

MattM is on a distinguished road
whenever i listen to VH, i see red black and white stripes.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Ipecac
Backup Artist

Ipecac is on a distinguished road
No this dude aint crazy or on the loose. its just the way it is for some. People do think your crazy when you speak of it. As long as I can remember thats just the way I heard/visualized music. Its a weird abstract concept that the majority of people just dont have a fuckin' clue what your talking about. Individual notes or combined notes are colours and different chords are like shades of those colours. When I hear music or play a note I get a feeling/colour in my melon. its not something you sit down and say ok every time I hear a C im gonna see blue. It could like a very strong color or weak colours or I get like a splash of colours or a scenery (desert, ocean like) in my head when I hear music or any noise really. Different notes have different qualities. For instance when I hear an F# I hear/see RED - its a very bold note ( the boldest, sharpest) - A is Yellow ( bold but not quite like the F#) - C is Orange - D is beige/brown - G is Green - Eflat is very mellow like bluish purple. Hope this helps you out. I wont even get into the spirits that are swirling around you that help you pick the notes to play and allow music to come thru you from the fourth dimension. Hey I said he wasnt crazy, not I wasn't..........lol
Ipecac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
BB
Guy who says Habutashi

BB is on a distinguished road
When I listen to Right Now I see Red. When I listen to Eruption I see Black. When I listen to Jump I see white. When I listen to Finish What Ya Started I see Green. Is this what you are talking about? I have always wondered about this myself.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
Stiglar
Crazy Admin

Stiglar is on a distinguished road
I'd say most people visualise music a fair bit .. it's just the way the brain works ... they may not realise it .. but they do it ...doing ear training and recognising chords and scales i had a pretty accurate system going in my brain fora while .. prolly not as good now ... but you'll findmost people have the ability to do it they just don't realise it .
Stiglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
rayality

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfury
For some reason when ever I listen to ĎHear about it laterí by VH, I always see the color purple lol. What about you?

Not sure if it's coincidence, but before I finished reading this post the 1st color that popped into my mind for Hear About it Later was purple .
. I guess you can treat it kind of like a mood ring in your mind. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
Stiglar
Crazy Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by armada1
Too under stand modes is to a painter under standing color.

Cmaj mode has no sharps or flats..... CDEFGABC

Cmaj Ionian mode Major chord prog... pop mainly ( happy sound)
theres no such thing as the Cmaj mode .. it's only the ionian mode which is the same as the major scale .

other than that nice post some modes really can open your playing
Old 01-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
armada1
Backup Artist

yeah when I play a song in c major it is Ionian mode you #^^%$*^% creaton. blow me. You know for a moderator and a studied musician my word mode... is Appropriate in the context it was used. Like I said if you are in a pro setting and some said I will play c maj mode(Scale) are you gonna ask do you want Ionian or Mixilydian or Lydian. No you will not. I and all the pros I have jammed and played for say c major it is Ionian mode. I have never in my life have been asked to play a C ionian. I always have beem asked to play C major and I knew it was the first degree of the modes!!!. So please before you criticize a person make sure you understand the full context. Other then that you had a nice reply.

Anyway Peace

Last edited by armada1; 01-16-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Stiglar
Crazy Admin

Hey Hey ,

Just because i misread what you were getting across in your post doesn't mean you have to be a dickknob about it ,

My point was theres no such thing as Cmaj mode .. which is what you referred it to at the start so just chill out dude !
Old 01-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
armada1
Backup Artist

I am chilled sorry bout that... but I strongly disagree.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
Stiglar
Crazy Admin

The context you used it in is different though ... you said the Cmajor mode has no sharps or flats ...

then you said the Ionian mode straight after like they were different things .. you don't ask someone to play in ionian . .you say cmajor obviously .. but if your explaining something to someone like in that situation .. it can cause confusion . It would've been more appropriate to say: there are 8 modes , and in the Key of cmajor (with no sharps of flats they would be the following : blah blah

i'm sorry mate , i'm not an anal kinda guy .. i'm usually not picky about crap like this it wasn't my intention to get into the stupid little nitty gritty .. it just sounded to me in the post you were referring to them as different things ... i'm sure you have lots of musical experience etc .. so we'll leave it there ...

Peace

Stig
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
rjfoster
GUIT - AR - DUN!!!!

rjfoster is on a distinguished road
Anyway, back to that colors thing.

WellI think the colors I see when I listen to music varies. IE it depends on what kinda drugs I am on at the time. hehehe Just kidding. I do know what you mean though - I guess everyone does make some sort of associations with sounds / music. There is something that I can do that is kinda weird - If I go in to a dark, very quiet room and concentrate, I can literally "hear" music in my head and have used this technique to write songs / solos in the past. If I really concentrate I can even "hear" multiple parts like bass, drums and guitar at the same time, and then can make them "play" what I want - but its not easy.

Just my .o2

Rj

Guitar Amplifier
s ---------> CLICK
Electric Guitars ----------> CLICK
Bass Guitars --------------> CLICK
General Music Equipment ---> CLICK
Famous Rock Bands ---------> CLICK
rjfoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic rock, harmonic minor, thin lizzy, van halen, van halen song, van halen songs, white stripes