Is Metal Music Dangerous? - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Off Topic > The Lounge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
101 Guru

guitarwizard2003 is on a distinguished road
Is Metal Music Dangerous?

Katie Vrabel of ValleyAdvocate.com reports:

The onstage murder of DAMAGEPLAN guitarist Dimebag Darrell Abbott on Dec. 8 turned a spotlight on the metal community. The former PANTERA guitarist was shot shortly after his new band hit the stage Dec. 8 at the Alrosa Villa club in Columbus, Ohio. He and four others (including crew and audience members) were killed. The shooter was a 25-year old ex-Marine, Nathan Gale, an apparently obsessed PANTERA fan, and a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic whose mother had legally provided him with the gun.

Overall, the media treatment was respectful, but it also soon became clear that metal remains a black sheep. And maybe we like it that way, but sometimes the insults go too far. I'm a metalhead, so I take it personally. But in light of recent events (Abbott murdered; SATYRICON's touring guitarists accused of rape; two stabbed at a CRADLE OF FILTH concert) I've had to ask: Is metal really dangerous?

After the shooting, a lot of writers suggested that the shooting and the style of music bore some connection. In his "Deconstructing the past of an isolated man," Newsday.com's John Riley after explaining that Gale was a weirdly obsessed fan went on to describe Gale as typical of metal fans.

Meanwhile, on the most offensive end of the spectrum, conservative satirist William Grim resurrected the myth of heavy metal's "culture of hatred and death." He further suggested that heavy metal makes you dumber.

This isn't the first time critics have tried to forge a link between metal and violence. In 1984 a 19-year old Ozzy Osbourne fan shot and killed himself while listening to Osbourne's music. His parents filed suit against the artist and the label. The suit was initially dismissed; on appeal it was determined that the music was constitutionally protected speech.

In 1985 the Parental Music Resource Center was formed in Washington, led by then-Senator Al Gore's wife Tipper. In hearings held by the PMRC that fall, psychologists testified about the specific supposed threats of heavy metal subliminal messages, glorification of violence, a link to substance abuse, and Satanism. Though the PMRC called for self-censorship, printed lyrics and a labeling system, all they got the music industry to agree to was voluntary "parental guidance" labels.

When the case against metal actually makes it to court, the findings are generally in favor of the music and freedom of expression. But that hasn't cleared metal's dangerous and destructive reputation.

Concerts which have resulted in violence are not metal concerts exclusively. In 1999 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND concertgoers made riot headlines in Hartford and fans of that decidedly metal-free band have made it an annual tradition. Two fans were stabbed, one fatally, after a NELLY concert near San Diego.

The science is on our side when it comes to the effects of "violent" music on daily life as well. Douglas Gentile, in his 2003 book, "Media Violence and Children", concludes that listening to music has less of an effect on aggression than watching television and playing video games. He points out what should be obvious: that in cases where a metalhead commits an act of violence or suicide, real factors (depression, substance abuse, etc.), rather than musical taste, are to "blame." He notes that the majority of fans are not troublesome or troubled. Read more
I'll never satisfy youuuuuu

My New Sites:

http://www.Don-Moore.com

http://www.myspace.com/paguitarist2002

http://groups.msn.com/TheOfficialFanClubOfDonMoore
guitarwizard2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
101 Guru

El_jalepeno is on a distinguished road
LMFAO. Metal is full of a bunch of pussies compared to Athletes if this article has any foundation to what is dangerous! Artest and Bryant to name a couple. I am sure we can dig up a hell of a lot more athletes if anyone still questions how dangerous Metal is.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
101 Guru

guitarwizard2003 is on a distinguished road
you know how it goes EJ.. everytime somethin bad happens they wanna blame it on metal,, if you brought up athletes they would just say well they listened to metal thats why they did it
I'll never satisfy youuuuuu

My New Sites:

http://www.Don-Moore.com

http://www.myspace.com/paguitarist2002

http://groups.msn.com/TheOfficialFanClubOfDonMoore
guitarwizard2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ready for Takeoff!

axeshredder is on a distinguished road
im so tired of metal being the scapegoat to Brain Damage
Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Arena Artist

metalnick is on a distinguished road
Irked

What a crock of shit... I don't need to listen to metal to be dangerous-ITS MY NATURAL STATE!!!!!!
metalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Some Heads are gonna Roll

Riff Addict is on a distinguished road
The only thing metal music has made me do is to wanna play guitar. Some of my metal-head friends are very intelligent, successful business people who wouldn't hurt a fly. I've been a metal fan since I was about 10 years old and I've never wanted to kill or harm anyone and I've never done drugs either. Ok so I drink a bit...no biggie.

I don't think I would be a level headed normal person if not for Metal. Amen.

http://www.judaspriest.com
Rockin' the World since 1973.

http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/
Halford/Priest Forums
Riff Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Ziggs65 is on a distinguished road
There's been more deaths due to politics than all forms of music combined. If they want to blame anything, blame politics. If they want to ban something, then they should ban politicians.

As for music causing people to do weird stuff, I think it was Frank Zappa who said something along the lines of "There are more love songs than anything else.
If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another."
Ziggs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
101 Guru

El_jalepeno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs65
There's been more deaths due to politics than all forms of music combined. If they want to blame anything, blame politics. If they want to ban something, then they should ban politicians.

As for music causing people to do weird stuff, I think it was Frank Zappa who said something along the lines of "There are more love songs than anything else.
If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another."
Well, this coming from a guy who played The Bicycle
Old 01-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tx boy stuck n yankeeland

skydog911 is on a distinguished road
that IS a load of shit, i've seen more bloodshed at country music shows than at any metal concerts i've been to.......Hank Williams Jr. being the worst one of the bunch, lot of drunk rednecks

not to forget the rap/hiphop/gangsta garbage
Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Backup Artist

vh resurrected is on a distinguished road
Another case of people judging a book by its cover. The company I work for sells 'dirty' jeans. They're made to look that way because that's what a lot of our customers want. Does that mean they're dirty? Not at all. On the flip side, I'm a clean cut, semi-preppy, nice guy with short hair and I listen to metal. So what? It's just my preference. I liked what Ozzy had to say when the whole Suicide Solution issue went to court. To paraphrase: 'Why would I want people to kill themselves after listening to my music? Who would buy my records?'
vh resurrected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Some Heads are gonna Roll

Riff Addict is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh resurrected
Another case of people judging a book by its cover. The company I work for sells 'dirty' jeans. They're made to look that way because that's what a lot of our customers want. Does that mean they're dirty? Not at all. On the flip side, I'm a clean cut, semi-preppy, nice guy with short hair and I listen to metal. So what? It's just my preference. I liked what Ozzy had to say when the whole Suicide Solution issue went to court. To paraphrase: 'Why would I want people to kill themselves after listening to my music? Who would buy my records?'
Exactly..well put. If 100 million people listen to metal music but 2 of them blow their brains out or kill someone...yep, must be the music!

http://www.judaspriest.com
Rockin' the World since 1973.

http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/
Halford/Priest Forums
Riff Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
excess to requirements

Goport will become famous soon enough
I wonder what his thoughts are on rap then.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Airborne Warrior

tony4552 is on a distinguished road
metal is dangerous what a load of bollocks, how many 'Trendies' have awesome shows that amaze and blow people away. I went to Maidens last gig in England and I went on my own, The whole fucking coach went in as one huge posse, I went to Download when Maiden where headlining people where buzzing off eachother at the atmosphere when Metallica did the surprise gig was heavenly. What I am trying to say is there is more a family type scenerio attached to metal/rock than what there'll ever be in other forms of music
tony4552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Backup Artist

armada1 is on a distinguished road
If Metal is dangerous... I am public enemy #1. Maiden rules, they are great in concert. I love metal And I havent killed a soul in weeks. No beheadings, or shootings at point blank range. I guess I am getting lazy. Damm I havent tied any weak minded fools and carvered my intials in them for a long time. Also when I submitt MP3s do not play them backwards. Those messages are for the delusional... tree huggars. What would Terrible Ted Nugent say. Shut up and turn it louder!!!

Hey man, only joking. There are people that are prejudice against Metal, some are against christians. Some people just want to control other people because they are so narrow minded. If you are not white or black or yellow or red someone will hate you. For one reason Or another we will all step on some prejudice mided individuals toes. We all have issues that plauge our souls. Hey it takes all kinds of folks and as long as they leave me alone I will let them live. So they can express themselfs and I can live my life.

Last edited by armada1; 01-09-2005 at 10:32 PM..
armada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Local Artist

SDJ218 is on a distinguished road

First of all, allow me to make it crystal clear that I don't believe any genre of music can physically "make" anyone do anything, but music is indeed influential to a degree.

Let me throw out something to ponder...

I'm sure we've all heard inspiring stories of the positive and profound impact music has made in someone's life.

For example, I remember years ago hearing about a woman who was about to commit suicide, but heard Garth Brook's song "The Dance" on the radio and decided she wanted to live after hearing it.

Now ask yourself, is it realistic or fair to believe that music influences in *only* a positive manner?

However, I believe it's asinine to hold an artist accountable for the actions of a fan. If a parent feels that their child shouldn't listen to a specific genre of music or artist out of fear of the influence it may have, then it's ultimately up to them to keep the child away from it.

By no means am I suggesting that I'm in favor of censorship or that listening to a specific genre of music will lead to guaranteed mind corruption, but with nearly everything, there's always two sides to take into consideration.
SDJ218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach boys, brain damage, death metal, dimebag darrell, frank zappa, george harrison, heavy metal, hip hop, iron maiden, john lennon, judas priest, marilyn manson, mercyful fate, ozzy osbourne, suicide solution