Van Halen - Dallas, TX 26.01.2008 (Eddie's 53rd B-day!) - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music Files > Bootlegs > Van Halen Bootlegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
101 Guru

criss is on a distinguished road
Van Halen - Dallas, TX 26.01.2008 (Eddie's 53rd B-day!)

Van Halen
01/26/2008
American Airlines Center
Dallas, TX

================================================== =====================================
Source: CoreSoundBinaurals > BatteryBox > 1/8">1/4"TRSjacksAdapter > MicroTrack 24/96 (16/44.1) WAV
Transfer: WAV > Steinberg WaveLab(Edit/Normalize) > CDWav(Track) > WAV > TradersLittleHelper > FLAC > MP3
Location: Platinum Level, 213, Back Right, even with stacks - Taped/Transfer: dmeyer2004@charter.net
================================================== =====================================

Disc One
========
01. Intro/Tunings
02. You Really Got Me
03. I'm the One
04. Runnin' With the Devil
05. Romeo Delight >
06. Happy Birthday to Eddie! >
07. Magic Bus Jam* >
08. Romeo Delight (Reprise)
09. Somebody Get Me a Doctor >
10. Spoonful ** >
11. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
12. Beautiful Girls
13. Dance the Night Away
14. Atomic Punk
15. Everybody Wants Some
16. So This Is Love?
17. Mean Street
18. Pretty Woman
19. Drum Solo
20. Drums / Bass / Keys Jam (Outta Love Again)

Disc Two:
========
01. Unchained
02. I'll Wait
03. And the Cradle Will Rock
04. Hot for Teacher
05. Little Dreamer
06. Little Guitars
07. Jamie's Cryin'
08. Dave's Storytellin' >
09. Ice Cream Man
10. Panama
11. Guitar Solo
12. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Encore:
======
13. 1984
14. Jump

Notes:
- Eddie Van Halen's 53rd Birthday (01/26/2008)
* - The Who Cover
** - Willie Dixon Cover (Blues Traditional)

================================================== ===

Also included in torrent file are local paper reviews / photos and CD jewelcase artwork.

It's been 15 years since I last saw Van Halen and more than 20 yeers since I first saw them with Sammy. Glad to see Dave and Eddie carrying the torch again! Enjoy!!!

dave.

Dallas Morning News
http://www.guidelive.com/sharedconte...1.3381ef7.html

Roth and Van Halen reunite for brilliant AAC show
08:37 AM CST on Sunday, January 27, 2008
By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News
tchristensen@dallasnews.com

In the 23 years after David Lee Roth left Van Halen, it was easy to forget what a dynamic duo he and Eddie Van Halen made: hard rock's most lovable loon, paired with one of its most spectacular guitarists.

That old magic quickly came rushing back Saturday night as the band's reunion tour stopped at the American Airlines Center. Mr. Roth – decked out in sequins and top-hat and looking like Tom Jones in Alice in Wonderland –grinned from ear to ear as he jujitsu-kicked his way across stage and twirled his mike stand like it was a giant baton.

Meanwhile, Mr. Van Halen let his fingers handle the showmanship. He's been through a lot over the years – throat cancer, hip replacement, alcoholism – but he still played with the exact same pyrotechnic swagger he had when he uncorked "Eruption" in '78.

Together, Mssrs. Roth and Van Halen ad-libbed the show's best moments. Four songs into the set, they rammed the Who's "Magic Bus" into "Romeo Delight" with brilliant results. Next, they jazzed up "Somebody Call Me a Doctor" with call-and-response blues (shades of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page) and jolted "Everybody Wants Some" with a bit where Mr. Roth imitated a car engine and Mr. Van Halen mimicked his imitation.

After bad-mouthing each other for decades, the two seemed truly happy to be back together. When Mr. Roth led a chorus of "Happy Birthday" to mark Mr. Van Halen's 53rd, the guitarist leaned over and gave the singer a kiss, a display of affection that never happened on the Police's recent reunion tour.

But as warm and nostalgic as the evening got, it wasn't without rough patches.

The big question mark going into the tour was Mr. Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang, who replaced the recently fired bassist and backing singer Michael Anthony. On bass, young Wolfie was adequate, but as a vocalist, he failed to hit the high harmonies that are key to so many of the group's songs, from "Runnin' with the Devil" to "Panama."

Mr. Roth, 53, had vocal trouble of his own, straining for the high notes and missing them in a half-dozen songs like "Jamie's Cryin' " and "Dance the Night Away." Granted, he was never Pavarotti to begin with. But every little flaw in his voice was on display Saturday.

Still, it barely mattered. You come mainly to see David Lee Roth entertain, which he did with gusto whether he was salsa dancing through "Beautiful Girls," spinning yarns in "Ice Cream Man" or carrying a giant inflatable microphone (wink, wink) through a storm of confetti in the show-ending "Jump."

"Are you guys having half as much fun as we are up here?" he asked, prompting a roar from the capacity audience. A huge chunk of the crowd was 40 and up, but there was also plenty of fans who weren't even born when Van Halen II first blasted from every Pontiac Trans Am in America.

If you missed Saturday's show, the group returns to the AAC on March 3.

Pagasus News Online
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008...y-mani-marley/

Eddie Van Halen's birthday in Big D
Sunday, January 27, 2008
By Ron Dempesmeier
Concert review: Van Halen / Ky-Mani Marley

DALLAS — Even at 53 years of age, Eddie Van Halen and his band can still incite a riotous reaction from an arena full of fans. The reunited (minus bassist Michael Anthony) Van Halen Mk. I came to Dallas on Eddie’s big day and gave the ravenous crowd a present they’ll long remember.

2007 (when this current tour began) saw the reunions of some of the most beloved bands of the Seventies. The Police, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen with original lead singer David Lee Roth were all thought never to tread the boards together again, but they proved us wrong. Too bad Zeppelin’s reunion was a one-off in London, but getting to see Van Halen a second time around with the flamboyant front man Roth was an opportunity not to be missed.

The band kicked off their set with their remake of the classic Kinks’ rocker “You Really Got Me.” They quickly went into their early catalog with songs like “I’m the One,” “Runnin’ with the Devil” and “Romeo Delight” (which had a brief section by Roth and the audience to serenade Eddie with a rendition of “Happy Birthday” and then a bit of The Who’s “Magic Bus”). When they performed “Somebody Get Me a Doctor” the band incorporated Humble Pie’s “I Don’t Need No Doctor” and Cream’s remake of the blues classic “Spoonful” as homage to acts that influenced the young Van Halen and Roth.

Van Halen was always a band that had serious hard rock chops, but it also had a penchant for writing pure pop gems like “Beautiful Girls” and “Dance the Night Away” from their second album. These songs provide a bit of relief from the relentless rocking and the proficient manner in which the show was presented. When the band got to “Everybody Wants Some!!” from their Women and Children first album, the entire show felt like another gear had been reached. This was probably due to the primal, tribal beat that drummer Alex Van Halen uses to drive the song and the slightly lascivious spoken middle section in which the ever ready Roth tries to talk sexy to an imaginary girl.

When Van Halen went into Fair Warning’s “Mean Streets,” Roth swung his microphone stand like a crazed baton twirler. After a quick run-through of the their great remake of Roy Orbison’s “Pretty Woman,” Alex Van Halen got to demonstrate his percussion skills during a rather tidy (and not tedious!) drum solo. Somewhere offstage extra keyboard sounds were added to spice up the sound.

This led into an energetic “Unchained” and the first song off of their 1984 album: “I’ll Wait.” During that tour, Eddie insisted on playing the keyboard parts on stage instead of guitar, but in this one they were either pre-recorded or piped in from offstage. The harmony vocals also seemed a bit suspect on this song (formally handled by ex-bassist Michael Anthony and EVH, but now “sung” by EVH and his son Wolfgang), but there was no doubt that DLR was putting his all into the performance.

Going from the punkish/ultra macho “And the Cradle Will Rock…” and “Hot for Teacher” and the sublime “Little Guitars” showed the range of this re-energized quartet. Roth came out with an acoustic guitar and strummed while reminiscing about his days as a teenager in suburban Southern California. He claimed to have had a friend that actually drove an ice cream truck which they emptied out and stored beer for weekend parties and smoked herb with a neighborhood kid named “Kenny” while listening to Pink Floyd. This led into the Van Halen I classic “Ice Cream Man.” When Van Halen performed “Panama” the entire audience joyously joined in on the single word chorus.

Finally, the audience was treated to Edward’s wizardry on guitar during a 10-12 minute guitar solo. Van Halen started while sitting on the slope of the near “figure 8” stage and with a bit of flamenco/classical style picking. He then went into a distorted Hendrix-like section before going into the soothing, pipe organ-like sounds of his “Cathedral” solo from 1982’s Diver Down. The final movement of the solo was his seminal double handed tapping “Eruption” which whipped the crowd into frenzy. The only song that could possibly follow this display of genius was the ferocious “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love.”

After a brief exodus from the stage, Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang Van Halen and David Lee Roth came back on stage with the synthesized strains of “1984.” They launched into the buoyant, crowd-pleasing “Jump” and all the stage props like David’s 4th top hat of the evening, a giant, inflated microphone and showers of confetti came out. Roth even managed to do more drum major twirling and his highest jumping karate kick of the evening (he didn’t do one of those splits jumps from the drum riser, but he’s not 29 anymore either). There was no doubt that Van Halen could still deliver the goods. Actually, this was better than the last time I saw this version of the band because they were not on speaking terms then and Roth seemed to have taken a few too many drinks before the show and kept forgetting lyrics.

Finally, the opening act for this great show was Ky-Mani Marley, son of deceased Reggae superstar Bob Marley. He fronted a band very similar to his father’s in that he had female background singers with who he could rely on for excellent support. The music he performed was a mix of his own and his father’s (“No Woman No Cry” and “I Shot the Sheriff”). It was rather interesting to have an act whose music was so different from the headliner’s style. He was very grateful for the opportunity to tour with Van Halen. Like his brothers (Ziggy, Damian, etc.) it will take a bit of luck (and some amazing songs) for him to ever stand outside his father's large shadow. I hope for their sake this will happen some day!

Van Halen setlist

You Really Got Me | I'm the One | Runnin' with the Devil | Romeo Delight | Somebody Get Me a Doctor | Beautiful Girls | Dance the Night Away | Atomic Punk | Everybody Wants Some!! | So This Is Love? | Mean Streets | Pretty Woman | Drum Solo | Unchained | I'll Wait | And the Cradle Will Rock... | Hot for Teacher | Little Dreamer | Little Guitars | Jamie's Cryin' | Ice Cream Man | Panama | Guitar Solo | Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Encores: 1984/Jump

This story was submitted by a member of the Pegasus News community.

Fort Worth Star Telegram
http://www.star-telegram.com/live/story/435030.html

Van Halen review: A concert worth waiting decades for
By MALCOLM MAYHEW
Special to the Star-Telegram
Their long hair is gone, but David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen proved Saturday that they still have their chops.

DALLAS -- Van Halen's fans have certainly been through a lot over the past several years, from enduring changing-of-the-guard lead singers to wading through some fairly awful albums to waiting out the constant infighting that has kept the original lineup off the road for more than 20 years.

The payoff, however, came Saturday night when the California-reared rock band returned to Dallas, its original lineup mostly intact. Playing to a sold-out American Airlines Center, the band was a far cry from its MTV image. Singer David Lee Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen have short hair now, and neither of them zoomed around the stage as they did 20 years ago.

In a way, though, age has worked to their advantage, at least for this tour. It forced them, and their fans, to focus solely on the music. Instead of trotting out hit after hit, they punctuated their 20-song-plus set with a number of lesser-known songs -- I'm the One, Somebody Get Me a Doctor -- that seemed to further prove that the music was just as important as the money.

Eddie and drummer brother Alex Van Halen played exceptionally well. Any thought that the legendary guitarist, who turned 53 on Saturday, might have lost his touch was wiped away as he peeled off solos from Romeo's Delight and Runnin' With the Devil with grit, ease and his signature two-handed tapping.

In the center of it all was Roth, clowning and kicking. What he lacked in stamina, he more than made up for with a robust voice and his jester's smile. Actually, they were all smiling -- it's about time.

http://rapidshare.com/files/87953933...2008.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/87957618...2008.part2.rar

enjoy it
criss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Arena Artist

blackdeath is on a distinguished road
Certainly a monster of a show......thanks
blackdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Starving Artist

DrRich is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing!!
DrRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Backup Artist

ZootMcVout is on a distinguished road
Thanx!!!
ZootMcVout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Enry-D is on a distinguished road
Cool Thanks

Thanks For This...
Enry-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Starving Artist

good rabbit is on a distinguished road
part 2 corrupt !

Hi ! I'm really frustrated, i was NOT able to download Part 2 of Ed's birthday, some error message was desplaied, maybe someone can help ?
Have you all been able to download it ?
thank you !
S.
good rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Backup Artist

Killing Hand is on a distinguished road
Thanks
Killing Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Need Help !

Hi all !
I'm still NOT able to download Part 2 of Ed's birthday, some error message was desplayed after i tried to open the downloaded file !
Maybe someone can help ?
Or am i the only one with this problem ???
Have you all been able to download it ???

Thank you !
S.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Backup Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by good rabbit View Post
Hi all !
I'm still NOT able to download Part 2 of Ed's birthday, some error message was desplayed after i tried to open the downloaded file !
Maybe someone can help ?
Or am i the only one with this problem ???
Have you all been able to download it ???

Thank you !
S.
Huh! I didn't have a problem last night. After opening the part 1 file, both files actually emptied onto my My Music folder I have. If you have both files double click on the part 1 file, hopefully everything is there.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Kh -> You Are King !

wow, thanks for this !
I didn't notice this yesterday, but...today, yes, it works.
I just opened the first part + i have both parts there ! You saved my day, thank you very much, now...let's BURN,
domo arigato !
S.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Backup Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by good rabbit View Post
wow, thanks for this !
I didn't notice this yesterday, but...today, yes, it works.
I just opened the first part + i have both parts there ! You saved my day, thank you very much, now...let's BURN,
domo arigato !
S.

awesome. This is a good concert, don't miss out on it.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Arena Artist

jdallenx is on a distinguished road
Killer; Thrilled to have some 2008 VH

Going to see them tomorrow night!!!!!!!
jdallenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Famous Artist

rotovator is on a distinguished road
Great post - cheers
rotovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Arena Artist

Geo Sav is on a distinguished road
great post bro.Can't wait to hear it thanx,
Geo Sav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic guitar, alex van halen, atomic punk, bob marley, david lee, david lee roth, drum solo, eddie van halen, guitar solo, humble pie, jimmy page, led zep, led zepp, led zeppelin, lee roth, magic bus, michael anthony, pink floyd, robert plant, romeo delight, tom jones, van halen