Different Pickups and their tones - Page 2 - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Satchmo72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partition1
I just got some Dimarzio EVO's and a question.When you are mounting them in what way faces toward the bridge.Seems like they should put a sticker on the back or something. There is a F on the back on one side.It seems like the wire sould go directly in the hole to the controls.Well who knows about these things?I got the wiring figured out,I think..but the guitar it tore down now, im soldering now.I can turn them whatever way later.I guess the question is so simple I cant figure it out.

So what way do they go? What way is standerd?
Dimarzio's website explains that the orientation on the Evo's (and others) does not matter. I was curious too since I just put one in my 540 Radius.

That is one hot pickup, almost too hot and harsh. I may exchange it for a Breed. I also did not get the F-spaced which I should have. The guys at Samash had no clue.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Starving Artist

FloridaNative is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread. I really like the sound clips. I love the Sesame Street one. lol

Let me ask you guys a question. What would be the best pickups to get a sound like Blue Oyster Cult's Donald Roeser on Godzilla and Don't Fear the Reaper?? Is there a modern setup that will give that sound or would I need to buy something vintage? Thanks in advance to all who reply.
FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Auburn RSX-S is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams
Wood doesnt affect tone in a solidbody guitar. Theres not enough difference in tone to matter. Blindfold yourself and take a test. The only tonewood that has anything to do with a guitar is an acoustic guitars top.
Since guitar pickups are all built nearly exactly the same within each type I dont believe they sound differently from each other . Sensitivity varies and people classify that difference as sounding different. You can take a vintage PAF humbucker that measures 9K ohms resistance that some fool on ebay is trying to sell for $1000 and a no name $5 pickup that has the same resistance. Compare their sound and it will be so close that you cant tell them apart when blindfolded. Theres a limited amount of components in a magnetic pickup therefore there aint much that you can do to change the way they sound. Wire guage,magnet type,slugs and a bobbin. Wire guage is probably the most important factor but it seems to me like everybody is using the same size or damned close to it. I've read from various sources that the most any magnetic pickup ( besides a horseshoe) can cost in parts is around $3.50. The pickup buisness has got to be the biggest scam in history.
This isnt meant to cause an argument. Its just my own observations . You have your own. Post them if youre old enough to read and write and not bound to a silence clause in your life contract
This is about the most hilarious thing I've read all day long. You are so misinformed. Body wood plays a HUGE role in the tone of an instrument. If you don't believe me, go play a squier strat with your pickups of choice and then play a top of the line american strat with those same pickups and you'll realize just how wrong you are.

It's called tone wood for a reason. If it had no effect on the tone, luthiers wouldn't go out of their way to buy top quality wood for their instruments.

I think the only real exception to this rule would be if the player has a cheap amp or using so much overdrive that tone doesn't apply anymore. If you think wood and pickups have no impact on sound, try plugging into a REAL amp and you'll quickly realize what a difference different pickups and wood make.

I've even gone so far as to swap magnets in some of my pickups and noticed a huge difference in brightness and sensitivity.

the guys who pay big bucks for high quality guitars made of top quality wood and pay big bucks for high quality pickups with highly sought after winding and components do so becuase they're using world class amps that don't mask the sound of the instrument. With cheap amps, it doesn't matter what you plug into it, it's going to sound relatively the same so I think I'm understanding where you're coming from but once you ditch the line 6 Spider or Behringer and plug into a real amp, you'll notice that the good amps bring out the individual characteristics of different pickups and tone shaping qualities of different woods.

All of my guitars sound TOTALLY different. My C66 is made of alder which is a brighter tone wood. Combined with the dimarzio Evolution pickups, it is a dream for lead guitar work as the wood/pickup combination yields a very clear and articulate sound. I can have the gain maxed out on my V3 and still hear every note ring out individually in large complex chords and solos rip through a heavy band. The low end is very tight and defined and doesn't work well for deep metal playing that requires a big huge chugging low end.

My Ibanez S470 is made of Mahogany which is a much thicker sounding wood with accentuated lower midrange. This is why Les pauls have that meaty fat lower midrange. It's the mahogany doing it. Regarless of what pickups you put in a les paul, it's always going to retain that lower midrange growl. The pickups will only emphasize other frequencies. Bright pickups will make the sound sparkle and fatter pickups will give the tone a really thick rich vintage tone with smoother softer high end.

anyways, the S470 is mahogany and has a dimarzio tone zone/air norton set in it and it's great for fat chunky rythems and thick soloing. Not nearly as defined as the C66 but is better suited for that heavy chugging rythem work.

My Carvin DC135 is a neck through guitar which is a totally different ballgame. With neck through guitars, the neck wood is the primary source of sound and in this case, it's maple so it's got a nice bright attack. The body wings are alder which also lend to a tight bright sound. The guitar came with a bright pickup which was great for soloing and what not but it was too harsh so I installed a peavey wolfgang bridge pickup which has a lower output and uses a lower power magnet. The result was a much fatter tone and a smoother sound when doing leads. No more ice pick piercing highs. I also swapped a texas special single coil from the neck and went to a higher output carvin twin blade mini humbucker which really gave the neck pickup lead soloing work a lot more punch and clarity. The texas special was decent but fast soloing got slurred as the pickup didn't have enough definition and clarity when lots of gain was present.

On the other hand, for blues and lower gain stuff, the texas special whips the twin blade. It's lower output and sensitivity really gets a fatter deeper tone for blues work.

I hope you are catching on to what I'm talking about with this stuff. I'm only trying to educate you on these things. It's easy for someone who's ears haven't experienced these things for themselves to think the way you are thinking but once you expereinces these much higher quality tube amps and guitars for yourself, you'll see just how massive a difference these details actually do make.

To further my point, go to youtube and do a serch for "Guthrie Govan". Helluva player and has an incredible tone. He now endorses surh guitars (a boutique guitar company).

Then go to this thread on his forum and you'll read via "Alex Kahn"'s posts what sort of tonal differences their models have. He builds the Surh's for Guthrie and he describes what makes each one different simply from the different woods used.

http://www.online-discussion.com/Gut...pic.php?t=1077

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partition1
I just got some Dimarzio EVO's and a question.When you are mounting them in what way faces toward the bridge.Seems like they should put a sticker on the back or something. There is a F on the back on one side.It seems like the wire sould go directly in the hole to the controls.Well who knows about these things?I got the wiring figured out,I think..but the guitar it tore down now, im soldering now.I can turn them whatever way later.I guess the question is so simple I cant figure it out.

So what way do they go? What way is standerd?
Unless you're going to be doing coil splitting, it doesn't matter. I have a pair in my C66 and I have the neck pickup oriented so that when split, the active coil is closest to the neck for the most authentic "strat" sound I can get. Still not a true singlecoil strat sound but it's mighty close.

The bridge pickup is oriented so that when it's split, the active coil is pointing towards the middle pikcup. I did this because I want that single coil squacky sound but I didn't want the super bright thinness that typically comes with having a single coil that close to the bridge. It worked well as it has a hair extra punch to it but still works great for the thin chickin pickin country stuff if I need it.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Isa
Starving Artist

Isa is on a distinguished road
As far as the tonal woods affecting electric guitar controversy goes, I was wondering if anyone has really done a controlled test of the issue?

ONE: Use the exact same pups/pots/electrical wires/and hardware, do tonal tests, remove all of the above and install them in the same make of guitar body, but with different tonal wood, and test again. Repeat with each tonal wood.

TWO: Just to see how much difference there is in the pups themselves. Use the same make and model of pups, swap them out on the same guitar and see if or how much variance in sound there can be even within the the same make and model of pups.

To me it seems that there are sooooo many things that can affect the sound of the guitar, and that variations in each variable can still come together to make a huge difference. So it is hard to determine what one thing is making THE difference (with in reason of course).

Variables that can change: player (day to day, pick, finger style, finger picks etc.), amp, effects, strings, pups, pots, grounding, amps, body tonal wood, neck tonal wood, fingerboard tonal wood, type of bridge, type of tuners, type of nut, type of fret, age of guitar, even weather, etc. etc.. And each has its own affect on the sound of a guitar.

With that said though, it seems that the lion share of change would come from AMP and PUPS and on-board preamp.
Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa
As far as the tonal woods affecting electric guitar controversy goes, I was wondering if anyone has really done a controlled test of the issue?

ONE: Use the exact same pups/pots/electrical wires/and hardware, do tonal tests, remove all of the above and install them in the same make of guitar body, but with different tonal wood, and test again. Repeat with each tonal wood.

TWO: Just to see how much difference there is in the pups themselves. Use the same make and model of pups, swap them out on the same guitar and see if or how much variance in sound there can be even within the the same make and model of pups.

To me it seems that there are sooooo many things that can affect the sound of the guitar, and that variations in each variable can still come together to make a huge difference. So it is hard to determine what one thing is making THE difference (with in reason of course).

Variables that can change: player (day to day, pick, finger style, finger picks etc.), amp, effects, strings, pups, pots, grounding, amps, body tonal wood, neck tonal wood, fingerboard tonal wood, type of bridge, type of tuners, type of nut, type of fret, age of guitar, even weather, etc. etc.. And each has its own affect on the sound of a guitar.

With that said though, it seems that the lion share of change would come from AMP and PUPS and on-board preamp.

Well... it's a rather complicated formula as far as how every component fits into the grand scheme of things but I'll do my best to explain it the way I see things.

The wood of the instrument is going to be the foundation of whatever sound you're going for. No pickup/amp/eq is going to change or remove the tonal properties that the wood delivers. There's simply no way around it and is one of the key reasons why people pay so much money for choice pieces of wood.

Pickups are like the seasoning on the steak (the steak being the guitar's wood). You will always be able to taste the meat itself but the seasoning adds a little extra flavor on top of that meat. You can add whatever seasonings you like according to your personal tastes but regardless of which seasoning you add, the original taste of the meat will ALWAYS be there. You can't make steak taste like pork or chicken and vice versa so think of the different woods like different meats.

Strings, hands, picks, etc will certainly change things a little but the original foundation of the tone will always be there.

The amp's job is to merely amplify the sound that the guitar makes (obviously) but think of it as just another seasoning added to the meat. Or as sauce or something. No matter what amp you plug that guitar into, you will always hear the underlying tone that that guitar has and then the pickups of course will add to that in their own unique way.

The beauty of all of this diversity is that once you plug into high quality tube amps, the differences that the wood/pickups and construction of the guitar will become even more apparent. When playing cheap amps, most guitars you plug in will sound relatively the same. High quality amps really accell at bringing out all the little tonal nuances that each instrument has. With a decent amp, you can plug in a cheap strat, a good american strat and a vintage collectors strat and one who knows these instruments will be able to tell the differences like night and day. (which is why those who have developed ears for these things demand top dollar components).
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Melody maker

Arndee is on a distinguished road
Fender DH1 pickup dirty

Fender Floyd Rose strat, alder body, one-piece maple neck, and a Fender DH1 pickup in the bridge (not stock).

I used the Marshall "modern" amp setting and UK T75 "cab" on my Vox tonelab, with a bit of reverb and I changed the EQ (bass: 7/mids 9/treble: 6).

http://media.putfile.com/Fender-DH1-clip

(Sorry for having to use a link for you to hear it; I can't seem to upload anything!)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Melody maker

Arndee is on a distinguished road
Fender DH1 pickup clean

using the "Nashville" setting on my Vox tonelab (4:1), unaltered.

http://media.putfile.com/DH1-clean-clip
Old 06-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Backup Artist

RobinHood is on a distinguished road
how come i cant get this clip to play?...it just shows the clip's name :-(
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Files sent to putfile.com are only temporary. The file is probably expired.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Local Artist

Valveking is on a distinguished road
I own a Peavey Valveking Half-Stack (hence the screen name) and a Squier Strat and I want to put some Seymour Duncan JB pups in it and eventually a Floyd Rose Original Bridge. Is this a good idea or should I consider more pups?
I am looking for a Diary of a Madman sound, but more crunch.
Valveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Local Artist

Valveking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_jalepeno View Post
Floyd Rose bridge, alder body, maple neck. Recorded with my VAmp2 B2 for distortion.
Dude, I'm not trying to make a rouge statement but, you might need to consider getting your bridge reset. I've listened to both your tracks and your a damn good picker but I can tell you were getting out of tune.
Valveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
I own a Peavey Valveking Half-Stack (hence the screen name) and a Squier Strat and I want to put some Seymour Duncan JB pups in it and eventually a Floyd Rose Original Bridge. Is this a good idea or should I consider more pups?
I am looking for a Diary of a Madman sound, but more crunch.
Pickups would be ok but if you want a floyd rose, buy a guitar that comes with one. retro fitting one on and getting the locking nut on correctly is a HUGE undertaking.

Other option would be to buy a new strat replacement body from warmoth with the floyd body routing and also getting a neck from them that's routed for a floyd rose locking nut then just transferring all the hardware from one instrument to the other..
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Starving Artist

jabba is on a distinguished road
agree
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Starving Artist

tonyguitarguy is on a distinguished road
EMGs!!!
tonyguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic guitar, alder body, blue oyster, blue oyster cult, bridge pickup, electric guitar, fender strat, floyd rose, guthrie govan, les paul, les pauls, locking nut, maple neck, neck pickup, oyster cult, peavey wolfgang, pinch harmonics, seymour duncan, squier strat, tube amps