Different Pickups and their tones - Page 3 - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Starving Artist

tonyguitarguy is on a distinguished road
Emgs!!!
tonyguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Starving Artist

i need 10 posts!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Starving Artist

I have emg hz's. I want the 81's. anyone know about these?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
Starving Artist

are hz's for jazz or something. can they be used for metal?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Starving Artist

gsgh
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Starving Artist

ill post some pics as soon as i get 10 posts!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Before The Plagues!!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Starving Artist

myspace.com/beforetheplagues
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #39 (permalink)
Starving Artist

panicden is on a distinguished road
Installing Pickups on Semi Hollow - no back plate

Hi, does anyone know of any online instructionsm preferably with good pics on how to replace Pickups on a semi hollow that does NOT have a back plate. My Guitar is a Raven West RG450 Semi Hollow body. Thx
panicden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Local Artist

JohnnyRoxx is on a distinguished road
I have used many different pickups. Here is my rundown;

Seymour Duncan JB;
My favorite pickup. Nice midrange, full bottom, cutting top-end that doesn't peirce the ears. This pickup needs a great peice of wood to sound good in. Doesn't work well in a crap guitar.

Dimarzio ToneZone;
Second fave. Nice mids, like the JB, fuller bottom end, will get muddy if not careful with tone setting on the amp, cutting high end that is smooth. Again, needs a nice guitar to work well with.

EMG's: I've used the 81 and 85 models. To me, these will make a shitty guitar sound good because they have a mind of their own. The pickup is where the sound comes from with these. Unless the guitar has zero sustain, they'll sound good in anything. More of a metal pickup though.

Seymour Duncan BlackBacks;

Over-rated in my opinion. I A/B'd this with my JBs and the JBs are way better.

Seymour Custom Custom; Great pickup! I had a Washburn Idol with them and it was a lot like JB, just a little more mid growl.

Seymour Duncan Invader; I had a BC Rich Ironbird in the 80s with one. It was my main guitar. Nice distortion and not fuzzy at all. Chunky and rich!
JohnnyRoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Woodrow swillson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicden View Post
Hi, does anyone know of any online instructionsm preferably with good pics on how to replace Pickups on a semi hollow that does NOT have a back plate. My Guitar is a Raven West RG450 Semi Hollow body. Thx
I've never heard of an electric guitar without a backplate. There HAS to be one, or else the company wouldnt be able to screw the pots into it. Can you post a pic of the back of your guitar? I looked up Raven west rg450's and they all had backplates. What kind of pups are you putting in it? I heard semihollows are VERY touchy about pups (feedbacky), though I've never had one myself.

Edit. I just saw how old the post is.
Woodrow swillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #42 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Auburn RSX-S is on a distinguished road
I had to do the same thing for a friend of mine. It's tricky but not too bad. Easier if you're replacing pickups as you have larger area to fanagle wires.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...guitar-251515/
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #43 (permalink)
Starving Artist

sockdolager is on a distinguished road
i have not done this test but i do have three ibanez s540ltd all with the same pickups (stock) and each one plays and sounds a bit different
sockdolager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #44 (permalink)
Starving Artist

sockdolager is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa View Post
As far as the tonal woods affecting electric guitar controversy goes, I was wondering if anyone has really done a controlled test of the issue?

ONE: Use the exact same pups/pots/electrical wires/and hardware, do tonal tests, remove all of the above and install them in the same make of guitar body, but with different tonal wood, and test again. Repeat with each tonal wood.

TWO: Just to see how much difference there is in the pups themselves. Use the same make and model of pups, swap them out on the same guitar and see if or how much variance in sound there can be even within the the same make and model of pups.

To me it seems that there are sooooo many things that can affect the sound of the guitar, and that variations in each variable can still come together to make a huge difference. So it is hard to determine what one thing is making THE difference (with in reason of course).

Variables that can change: player (day to day, pick, finger style, finger picks etc.), amp, effects, strings, pups, pots, grounding, amps, body tonal wood, neck tonal wood, fingerboard tonal wood, type of bridge, type of tuners, type of nut, type of fret, age of guitar, even weather, etc. etc.. And each has its own affect on the sound of a guitar.

With that said though, it seems that the lion share of change would come from AMP and PUPS and on-board preamp.
i have not done this test but i can tell you i have three ibanez s540ltd all with the same stock pickups these guitars have mahogany bodies and each one sounds a little bit different, even the same kind of wood can have different tonal qualities
sockdolager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
Starving Artist

rdclmn7 is on a distinguished road
Wood and Mvolts.

You can take a look at any given brand, and not avoid the situation where one out of dozen guitars, you will fine one that sounds the way you want.
With 30 years playing guitars and other instruments, my experience reflets this.
At the same time, Dimarzio shows power ratings for their pickups;
from 170 Mv which is ultraclean, to the 200 MV PAF. it just gets hotter until surpassing 400+Mv.
My 225Mv actually sounded as clean as my middle pickup, and I actually had to raise it to balance its overall volume.
That same guitar has a moderately hot pickup@ some 250+Mv, a good combination.
Recently I got fed up with my stock Gibson rhythm pickup, and I replaced it with a PAF @ 200Mv, clearer and more manageable.
rdclmn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic guitar, alder body, blue oyster, blue oyster cult, bridge pickup, electric guitar, fender strat, floyd rose, guthrie govan, les paul, les pauls, locking nut, maple neck, neck pickup, oyster cult, peavey wolfgang, pinch harmonics, seymour duncan, squier strat, tube amps