Different Pickups and their tones - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
101 Guru

El_jalepeno is on a distinguished road
Different Pickups and their tones

I have seen many posts where people are asking for pickup suggestions. As many of you realize, we can talk until we are blue in the face, but actually hearing the pickup is much better than anything else.

The object of this thread is for you to put the guitar and pickup in the subject of your post, then post an audio clip. Try to keep your information short and concise in your post regarding the pickup, but tell us the wood of your guitar (if known) your amp to record with or amp simulator and the setting, and the pickup itself. If you want to list more info, please do, but keep it concise. Preferably a distorted audio clip, and a clean clip (can be combined in one clip), a couple of pinch harmonics and the likes. Nothing fancy, just something to show the tonal qualities of the pickup.

Keep your posts limited to one guitar each post so it is easier for people to skim through this thread to find what they seek.

Take discussions outside this thread or they will be deleted. Again, for sake of keeping things organized
Old 06-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
101 Guru

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 on modded Strat

Floyd Rose bridge, alder body, maple neck. Dirty and Clean. Recorded with my VAmp2 B2 for distortion, B1 for clean.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 sd.mp3 (1.30 MB, 578 views)
Old 06-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
101 Guru

Gibson Dirty Fingers on Custom LP

Epiphone Custom LP. Dirty and Clean. Recorded with my VAmp2 B2 for distortion, B1 for clean.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 dirtyfing.mp3 (1.25 MB, 319 views)

Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yeah, so what?

BleedingPinky is on a distinguished road
Gibson PAFs on Epiphone DOT

original pup on my guitar, both of them on, done through a POD, Im not sure if you can call this distorted, but heavily effected for sure! :P. BTW, j/k, Ill take it down later on if needed,
EDIT: I forgot to write it was done with my Epiphone DOT, with (if I remember correctly) gibson PAFs, and a patch I tweaked a little from one I found that tries to emulate an organ

Last edited by BleedingPinky; 11-29-2009 at 08:31 AM..
BleedingPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
VHF
Unleash the Fookin Fury

VHF is on a distinguished road
This is a LP with active EMGs. clean then totally overdriven. Everyone knows they work well dirty...I guess I'm showing that they work clean also.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 EMG clean dirty.mp3 (1.17 MB, 355 views)
VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Famous Artist

TRox is on a distinguished road
Fender MIM stock neck. Some o/d and a hair of phase through a Hotrod.

Last edited by TRox; 08-06-2006 at 04:38 PM..
TRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
101 Guru

Seymour Duncan JB on Wayne Guitar

Floyd Rose bridge, alder body, maple neck. Recorded with my VAmp2 B2 for distortion.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 charvel1.mp3 (2.13 MB, 256 views)
Old 07-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Starving Artist

kashmir is on a distinguished road
Okay here we go:

Fender Strat with Lace Sensor Gold pups through Engl Screamer amp

Sorry mates for the mistakes, been playing for 2 and a half yrs.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 LCG-clean.mp3 (707.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: mp3 LCG-Dirty.mp3 (1.78 MB, 162 views)
Old 12-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Starving Artist

heem6 is on a distinguished road
Motherbucker

Swamp Ash body, Maple/Rosewood neck, Floyd Rose, Mighty Mite Motherbucker, POD 2.0 - Customized Treadplate setting, BOSS EQ, Behringer UltraFEX.

http://media.putfile.com/Firefly-33
heem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Starving Artist

Partition1 is on a distinguished road
Dimarzio pickup question

I just got some Dimarzio EVO's and a question.When you are mounting them in what way faces toward the bridge.Seems like they should put a sticker on the back or something. There is a F on the back on one side.It seems like the wire sould go directly in the hole to the controls.Well who knows about these things?I got the wiring figured out,I think..but the guitar it tore down now, im soldering now.I can turn them whatever way later.I guess the question is so simple I cant figure it out.

So what way do they go? What way is standerd?
Partition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Arena Artist

Warped is on a distinguished road
F most likely means "F-spaced'. Floyds have a tad wider string spacing than say a standard stop tail bridge. Otherwise I wouldn't think orientation matters much. If ya don't like it, switch it around the other way.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Badams has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Wood doesnt affect tone in a solidbody guitar. Theres not enough difference in tone to matter. Blindfold yourself and take a test. The only tonewood that has anything to do with a guitar is an acoustic guitars top.
Since guitar pickups are all built nearly exactly the same within each type I dont believe they sound differently from each other . Sensitivity varies and people classify that difference as sounding different. You can take a vintage PAF humbucker that measures 9K ohms resistance that some fool on ebay is trying to sell for $1000 and a no name $5 pickup that has the same resistance. Compare their sound and it will be so close that you cant tell them apart when blindfolded. Theres a limited amount of components in a magnetic pickup therefore there aint much that you can do to change the way they sound. Wire guage,magnet type,slugs and a bobbin. Wire guage is probably the most important factor but it seems to me like everybody is using the same size or damned close to it. I've read from various sources that the most any magnetic pickup ( besides a horseshoe) can cost in parts is around $3.50. The pickup buisness has got to be the biggest scam in history.
This isnt meant to cause an argument. Its just my own observations . You have your own. Post them if youre old enough to read and write and not bound to a silence clause in your life contract
Badams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Starving Artist

heem6 is on a distinguished road
The side with the screw pieces faces the bridge.
heem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Famous Artist

Joe King is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams
Wood doesnt affect tone in a solidbody guitar. Theres not enough difference in tone to matter.

I couldn't disagree more. There are a lot instances where body tone is closely matched between guitars, but I had 3 guitar all made with the same construction (Ibanez), all three had (at one time) the same pickups (Evos), and all three sounded remarkably different.

One is a Jem made with alder, one is a Jem made from basswood, and one is an RG 520 QS with a mahogany body.

I recently switched out the Evos on the basswood Jem to "Breed" pickups.

The Alder and basswood Jems varied in tone color. The basswood is darker, and fatter. But the mahogany is the biggest difference. It's a great guitar for live work because it cuts like a knife, but the recorded tone is hard to work with as it's very brittle and almost thin sounding.

I use an ADA MP-2 preamp into an M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard for recording. It was a HUGE difference that is very, very, obvious using the same preamp settings.

I'll post some clips later.

I also have a Schecter made from Alder, and it sounds COMPLETELY different than the Jem made from alder. I put Seymours in it because the Evos were too brittle sounding.

Just another opinion, I ain't trying to start an argument either.

:P

Jay

http://iacmusic.com/artist.aspx?ID=10497
Joe King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
101 Guru

strat78 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams
.....and not bound to a silence clause in your life contract
strat78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic guitar, alder body, blue oyster, blue oyster cult, bridge pickup, electric guitar, fender strat, floyd rose, guthrie govan, les paul, les pauls, locking nut, maple neck, neck pickup, oyster cult, peavey wolfgang, pinch harmonics, seymour duncan, squier strat, tube amps