Help: volume knob on Strat driving me crazy... - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Backup Artist

ArizonaBlues is on a distinguished road
Help: volume knob on Strat driving me crazy...

The problem is where the volume knob resides on a Strat. It is too close to the first string for me and it is driving me nuts. I'd like to get a new pickguard that will move the volume knob down one and then probably remove the second tone control. Probably both tone controls, don't know. As it is, I don't believe in tone controls that much. The tone controls are always turned all the way up. In fact, having any tone control probably adds some kind of resistance.

Anyone know if such a monster exists or will I have to make one?
ArizonaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Starving Artist

parrotheada1a is on a distinguished road
Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's a DIY job for sure. And not a simple one unless you have the skills & tools. I might be wrong, but most replacement pickguards have all the holes already pre drilled. Thing is, about the only thing you can do is move the pot down towards the selector switch, or closer to the tone pots. To do any of that, you would need to fabricate and drill a new pickguard from scratch. A somewhat easier method might be to drill another pot hole and cover the original with a sticker or something thin. This assumes you know how to work with plastic. In any case, you're not going to move the pot very much at all, mebbe an inch in any direction. If that isn't enough to make a difference, you are looking at re-routing the body itself to make more space inside the guitar.
Pedal whore :biggthump:
parrotheada1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Local Artist

WildeStarr is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBlues
The problem is where the volume knob resides on a Strat. It is too close to the first string for me and it is driving me nuts. I'd like to get a new pickguard that will move the volume knob down one and then probably remove the second tone control. Probably both tone controls, don't know. As it is, I don't believe in tone controls that much. The tone controls are always turned all the way up. In fact, having any tone control probably adds some kind of resistance.

Anyone know if such a monster exists or will I have to make one?
Contact the folks at pickguard heaven, all they do is custom pickguards.

Pickguard Heaven: Pickguards for Every Guitar

They made this mirror one for my ESP. Just the 3 way, and one volume knob. Thats all I need. Nice and clean.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp stratpg.bmp (379.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
VHF
Unleash the Fookin Fury

VHF is on a distinguished road
Looks like Wilde has a good solution. On the subject of tone knobs I also have never found a use for them. All I ever did was make sure they were all the way up.....so I started experimenting by taking them out. All you have to do is clip the main wire going to them and they are disabled. Very easy to put back also....or ot A/B them for comparison.

I have a few guitars....and on most it made a very noticable improvement in volume and bite when removed.
VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Local Artist

Smile

I read somewhere a long time ago, that the presence of a tone control in the circuit effects the sound.... even if the tone control is all the way up. I don't know if that is actually true or not, but I never use the damn things anyway. They are just in my way.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Backup Artist

ArizonaBlues is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link.

Next, I've run into another problem. Possibly because of my right hand technique, my pick keeps getting caught on the single coil poles. Some of them are staggered and well, that is driving me nuts, too.

Strange, I had a Strat behind in the 80s and I don't rremember having all these ergonomic type problems. However, moving the volume knob and removing one of the tone controls may be my biggest ticket to more comfortable play for me. Of course, I'm going to keep the current pickguard so if a time comes to re-sell, I can have the Strat in original condition.
ArizonaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Starving Artist

parrotheada1a is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm..... I stand corrected. That is a better way than I suggested. Probably be more professional looking too. WTG Wilde.
Pedal whore :biggthump:
parrotheada1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Local Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheada1a
Hmmmm..... I stand corrected. That is a better way than I suggested. Probably be more professional looking too. WTG Wilde.

Thanks. The only problem with my post is the reflection of the smoke detector in the pickguard.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Starving Artist

rockabilly.antique is on a distinguished road
it's all about location

Arizona's got a point. I never bought a strat, and that was the key reason why. It's uncomfortable to play. I have a tele, sg-pro, custom gretch, and a few others and they all have controls that are out of the way, but easy to adjust on the fly. However, I saw a video the other night of Pete Townsend playing a gold strat that had the volume knob located behind the bridge. That would work out well, but I can't find it anywhere else. If you work close to the bridge, rest on the bridge or like to pick close to the bridge instead of strum a few inches away, the volume control will likely get in the way. The two tone controls could also be relocated, probably in a slight arc configuration. The controls would be easy to adjust, and would still fit within the "lines" of the instrument. ...Anyone know where to find such a beast?
Bill
rockabilly.antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Starving Artist

c2rex is on a distinguished road
c2rex

Warmoth, go to their website and click the pickguard TAB.

The site shows pickguard combinations, but you are not limited to these. I had one made without the nearest hole. Just fill out the form on their site and put comments explaining what you want.
c2rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Local Artist

beavershit is on a distinguished road
http://www.terrapinisland.com/

all they do is custom pickgaurds from scratch
beavershit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Starving Artist

straycat113 is on a distinguished road
Arizona,I can understand what you are going through as I have had the same issues.I played teles for so long that when I got my first strat I hated it for the same reason.I play with my palm on the bridge most of the time and the knob always got in the way of playing comfort there is really nothing you can do about it.How I overcame it is my pinky goes between the volume and the tone knob as i got used to this the problam went away and now I am very comfortable.As for your second problem I had that to but that you can fix in seconds . I read Richie Blackmore and Yngwie had the same problem of the pick hitting the middle pickup so I did what they did on there strats I SUNK IT.Just get a screwdriver and lower thw pickup till it is flat with the pickguard problam solved and as I play 90% of the time on the neck or bridge it has no effect on my playing,I have just got into peavey Wolfgangs and am having the same problem with where the knob is,Eddie picks with his thumb and middle finger and if you pick like that the knob is not in the way,but I dont and am trying to find the most comfortable way to pick.Since Peavey discontinued the Wolfgang they now have the HP special which is a kick as guitar 80% wolfgang with great added feature of coil split on humbuckers and a lock that lets the floyd be set or float anyway I have the custom shop building me one with the knobs is a tele configuration so there out of my way.Check out an ibanez PAUL GILBERT or Ernie Ball John Petrucci and look how far away they like there controls from the bridge .post and let me know if what I said helped at all for you /ROCK ON
straycat113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Starving Artist

AGsoloproject is on a distinguished road
Dude tone knobs are shit lol who uses em', listen, go to guitarfetish.com and get a new pickguard for like 12 bucks, and just take the tones out. HOpe this helps.
~Angelo
AGsoloproject is offline   Reply With Quote