Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

Old 04-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
drejr77
Starving Artist

drejr77 is on a distinguished road

Mick Mars Guitar Tone?

Overrated? Underrated? Personally, I think Mick Mars guitar tone on most of the Crue albums (especially 'Dr. Feelgood and 'Shout At The Devil') was very heavy and inspiring. Say what you will about his technique, but the guy's tone was massive at times. I guess this could have mostly been due to studio EQ, though. I've heard some bootlegs, and wasn't all that impressed. By the way, what the hell was he mumbling at the end of the second solo in "Dr. Feelgood" anyway?
drejr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Warped
Arena Artist

Warped is on a distinguished road
I personally like his tone and maybe he isnt the most technical player he gets the job done in a big way! No matter what you think of him he's made a hell of a lot more money being a middle of the road player than we'll make in our lifetimes!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
VHF
Unleash the Fookin Fury

VHF is on a distinguished road
When I think of great guitar players...or legendary tone, Mick never comes to mind. Motley in general.....Vince (not the greatest singer), Sixx (not the best bass player)....Tommy was about the best of the bunch on his drums. However they all did their thing and put on a fun live show.

Mick did get the job done for the most part and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I did like the riffs in "take a walk on the wild side" and "girls"
Old 04-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
KC_ArtRocker
Jeff McDonald

KC_ArtRocker is on a distinguished road
Yes, one thing that could be said about Mick was that he did have a unique tone, something to be proud of in the overly-indulgent hair-metal days of the mid- to late-80s. i read that he really worked hard to find "his" tone (as in, something unique, to separate him from the drones of clone guitarists at the time). He's no guitar god, but like Elliott Easton from The Cars, he really did a fantastic job as guitarist for the band as a whole.

KC_ArtRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
drejr77
Starving Artist

drejr77 is on a distinguished road

Right On...

All right everybody, thanks for backing me up on this one. Yeah, his phrasing wasn't bad, either.
drejr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
T.A.Z
Shredding it up!!!

T.A.Z is on a distinguished road
Personally i love Mick and Motley, yeah granted they arent the best band technically speaking, but hell they know how to have fun with what they do and they know how to write great tunes which is the most important thing really being in a band.

Mick definately got the job done and he did it properly, tone wise im still undecided. I think he definately has a 'unique' tone and a 'unique' approach to getting it on the records i mentioned in another thread about he uses the worst guitar he can find through the worst amp he can find and record a rhythm track with it to add to the grunginess of the sound. Which is certainly unique haha after seeing the Crue live i can say that i like his natural tone aswell so im not sure. There was a couple of tracks that i cant stand his tone on though.
T.A.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Schafrocks
Starving Artist

Schafrocks is on a distinguished road
I saw the Crue a few years ago. I really wasn't expecting that much out of him. But as it turned out, he is a very solid player. And when everyone was playing blazing solos in the 80s, he incorporate slide on many of his songs. Kinda unique. I like his tone as well, but according to this site his setup is anything but simple. Check this out. http://guitargeek.com/rigview/269/

Later.

Schaf
Schafrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
biggus dikkus
101 Guru

biggus dikkus is on a distinguished road
1972 Les Paul Custom and Marshall amplification, not exactly what overdrive unit he used. Guy detuned his gtrs a whole step down to D for added weight of tone. The guys who rag on his ass probably havent earned 2% of Mars has earned, you can sweep all day long and earn frig all , a good tune will always prevail and Mars certainly knew how to write memorable hooks and riffs..............guy is ok in my books.

BD
biggus dikkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Evhmoon
MOON RULES!

Evhmoon is on a distinguished road
Mick Rawks!
Evhmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
T.A.Z
Shredding it up!!!

T.A.Z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus dikkus
1972 Les Paul Custom and Marshall amplification, not exactly what overdrive unit he used. Guy detuned his gtrs a whole step down to D for added weight of tone. The guys who rag on his ass probably havent earned 2% of Mars has earned, you can sweep all day long and earn frig all , a good tune will always prevail and Mars certainly knew how to write memorable hooks and riffs..............guy is ok in my books.

BD

Couldn't have said it any better really!!
T.A.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
formulaet
Famous Artist

Location: 100 miles South of the United States Grand Prix 2006
formulaet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drejr77
Overrated? Underrated? Personally, I think Mick Mars guitar tone on most of the Crue albums (especially 'Dr. Feelgood and 'Shout At The Devil') was very heavy and inspiring. Say what you will about his technique, but the guy's tone was massive at times. I guess this could have mostly been due to studio EQ, though. I've heard some bootlegs, and wasn't all that impressed. By the way, what the hell was he mumbling at the end of the second solo in "Dr. Feelgood" anyway?
Motley was probably the Loudest concert ever!!!!!
He was using a row of Soldano SLO100's,,,booohhooohooo!! Damn I miss my old amp!!! Yeah, he gets a monster sound!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
Riff Addict
Some Heads are gonna Roll

Riff Addict is on a distinguished road
It was fine...I liked it.....its just rock and roll. The "tonal perfectionists" or maybe I should say "anal perfectionists" on the board will always say that most rock and metal tones were terrible and bands like that do nothing for them, yadda, yadda. Its all opinion.

I liked the tone of the first album the best and some hate it.

http://www.judaspriest.com
Rockin' the World since 1973.

http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/
Halford/Priest Forums
Riff Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
SteveS235
Yankees Suck!

SteveS235 is on a distinguished road
A big part of his sound is the Eventide H3000 (back then) and H8000 (now) units.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
brooksoguitar
Starving Artist

brooksoguitar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHF
When I think of great guitar players...or legendary tone, Mick never comes to mind. Motley in general.....Vince (not the greatest singer), Sixx (not the best bass player)....Tommy was about the best of the bunch on his drums. However they all did their thing and put on a fun live show.

Mick did get the job done for the most part and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I did like the riffs in "take a walk on the wild side" and "girls"
I recently put on Album #1 Too Fast for Love baby and even though I have had it since 1982 I feel it's the first times I am actually Realy Listening to it and Although your dead on about Vince (I don't know how they make him sound tollerable) Both Mick And Nikki Tore it up on that album, Mick plays some weird stuff!
My 2 cents
brooksoguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
thebeggar
Starving Artist

thebeggar is on a distinguished road

mick

The part mick growls he says something like "Listen Gentlemen come play with Dr Feelgood".

I'm a massive Crue fan. I first heard Shout at devil when I was about 12 and it blew me away. It started my obsession with 80's metal.

Mick was certainly never one of the heavyweights of the scene but I guess he transcended more than just blistering skill.

I think one of the reasons the Crue became so popular is that there was not one standout performer in the band(although Tommy does shine and really holds thing together). But vince was never a good singer and worse live, nikki was just a bass player and mick certainly wasn't george lynch or warren demartini but certainly had a tone and style that was his.

I think some of micks best work is on the theater of pain album. I went through a phase where i wasn't impressed with micks work and thought he was average at best, but i was listening to theater one day without really listening to it. By that i mean i was doing something else while not fully concentrating on the music so maybe i was subconciously approaching it without any preconceived ideas and couldn't help but realise how much i was enjoying his work on this album. The stuff he plays fits in perfectly with each song without overshadowing anyone else in the band, which i think is a real credit to him.

Anyway that's my motley rant for the day. (best not get me started)

One last thing if you want tone check out Motley Crue's self titled 1994 album. UNBELEIVABLE guitar tone and AWESOME album.
thebeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggus dikkus, def leppard, george lynch, les paul, les paul custom, mick mars, motley crue, sweep picking, warren demartini