Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

Old 06-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
guitar_kid
Famous Artist

guitar_kid is on a distinguished road

Samick VS. Epiphone

I finally have enough money for a new guitar but I'm not sure if I want an Epiphone Vintage G-400 or a Samick TR-2 Torino. The Epi is around $400 and the Samick I can get for $319. When comparing all specs the Samick seems like the better buy for the money. I dunno how good the pups on the epi are, but the Samick has duncan designed pups which are supposed to be pretty decent. I just want to gather some opinions on which seems better.

On another note after I buy my new guitar I will have another $200 by the end of the summer. I am thinkin on how to spend it and the following are what I thought of.

1.Mod my strat copy...New neck, Black hardware(Black pickguard, black knobs, black tremolo cover), New tuners, New Carvin AP-11 Pickups.

2.Buy a Carvin SX200C 100 watt 2x12 solid state amp.

3.Buy another guitar like an Agile AL2500 or a Schecter Damien-6

4.Save up for a small tube combo...like a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Hot rod Deluxe

I dunno If I would need a tube amp since I won't be gigging anytime soon. Right now am leaning towards buying the Samick and then Modding my Strat Copy.

Any suggestions on both or either issues will be greatly appreciated!
Fender Pedal Tuner
Bad Monkey Overdrive
Dunlop 95Q Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Analog Chorus
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo
guitar_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Edenbridge
**Set This World Ablaze**

Edenbridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Samick? there not very good.....from what i have tried.......for 400 id prob get a Ibanez or Jackson......quality of a samick can no way compare to the quality of an Ibanez........you can get a pretty good Ibanez for 400.....Jackson as well at that price.....also check into ESP and LTD's...

ESP M-200FM at 419......check this thing out

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/516679/

BUT it also depends on the style you want and like of course.....i would def like a an Epiphone over a Samick......but in my opinion a Jackson and Ibanez are better for the price.

Gear

1983 BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock
2006 Ibanez RG370DX
1999 Ibanez RG320QS
Ibanez RG270
2005 Ibanez SA160WBR
2006 Dean Evo Xm
Digitech RP100
DOD Death Metal Distortion
DOD Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive
Behringer V-ampire LX210

Last edited by Edenbridge; 06-25-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Edenbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
Mr. Pod
Famous Artist

Mr. Pod is on a distinguished road
Go with the epiphone.I played one in a store before its was setup very nicely.Dont know about the sound of the pickups because i wasnt plugged in.Good luck
Old 06-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
VHF
Unleash the Fookin Fury

VHF is on a distinguished road
I bought an EPI LP and it had great sounding PUP's. I did replace them with some EMG's, but I like them so much I am putting them back into an Ibanez. They were stamped "Gibson PAF Hot" on the back of them. They sound as good or better than any duncan designed ones I have owned.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
VHF
Unleash the Fookin Fury

VHF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHfanOU812
I bought an EPI LP and it had great sounding PUP's. I did replace them with some EMG's, but I like them so much I am putting them back into an Ibanez. They were stamped "Gibson PAF Hot" on the back of them. They sound as good or better than any duncan designed ones I have owned.
Hell I have a pair of Duncan designed humbuckers I pulled out of a Jackson Dinky....I'll sell them for $40/both plus $5 shipping....just send me a P.M.

Or I have a set of Ibanex V7/V8 humbuckers out of an RG1570...same deal.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
guitar_kid
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenbridge
Samick? there not very good.....from what i have tried.......for 400 id prob get a Ibanez or Jackson......quality of a samick can no way compare to the quality of an Ibanez........you can get a pretty good Ibanez for 400.....Jackson as well at that price.....also check into ESP and LTD's...

ESP M-200FM at 419......check this thing out

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/516679/

BUT it also depends on the style you want and like of course.....i would def like a an Epiphone over a Samick......but in my opinion a Jackson and Ibanez are better for the price.
I played the samick a lil unplugged and it felt really nice. I haven't had a chance to play the epi yet. I dunno how the samick can be ALOT worse than the epi if they have almost the exact same specs...Except the Samick has a quilted top. I will probably play both the epi and the samick side by side to make my final judgement. I have looked into Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP and I might try an ESP ltd but most Jackson's and Ibanez's in my price range all have locking tremolo and I don't want that.
Fender Pedal Tuner
Bad Monkey Overdrive
Dunlop 95Q Wah
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo
Old 06-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
JSD
Starving Artist

JSD is on a distinguished road
Another option in the same price range, just to add to your confusion is the Tokai model.... Very nice quality.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Elysian
Famous Artist

Elysian is on a distinguished road
do u guys not realize samick makes epiphones? they also make a ton of ibanez's, etc, they outsource to everyone.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
LesPaul870
Local Artist

LesPaul870 is on a distinguished road
I got a Epiphone Les Paul and its got a great range of sound. It can play that smooth sound to a nice crunch. I would recomend gettin an epi. but from what i heard the jacksons and ESP are pretty sweet
LesPaul870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
guitar_kid
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
do u guys not realize samick makes epiphones? they also make a ton of ibanez's, etc, they outsource to everyone.
Yes I knew that and that is why I feel that the Samick would just be the better buy. I think I heard somewhere that almost every guitar neck is made by the samick factory.
Fender Pedal Tuner
Bad Monkey Overdrive
Dunlop 95Q Wah
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo
Old 06-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
MattM
Arena Artist

MattM is on a distinguished road
the g 400 is a fine instrument...my friend curt has one. great vintage tone. only thing about them is theyre top heavy... neck weighs more than the body. will fall to the ground if you dont hang on lol.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
mrr3000gt

Sammmmack!!!

If it was me, I'd buy the Samick if I wanted a good playing guitar. If I wanted something to sell later for something else, I'd buy the Epi.

Have you seen Samicks??? I cannot believe the attention to detail and the high quality finish on most of the Samick line. Whats more astounding: binding on both the neck and body for a guitar under 500.00 bucks!

I have a collegue who has played as long as I have (since around 1982), and this guy swears by Samick. He has the Les Paul copy, and the PRS copy and is in the process of getting a third. He is a professional guitar player, and can use just about what he wants. While I would use a 4500.00 Les Paul is I was doing what he is doing, nothing can get him away from the Samick Les Paul clone. I can way Im impressed totally. The Samick folks know how to build a high quality guitar that makes Gibson cry. If I was not soooo big into the Strats and Jacksons, I'd have one.

Samick is NOT a minor player: those Koreans have finally figured out how to build a high quality instrument (and at an unbelievably cheap price).
Old 06-27-2005, 07:56 AM   #13
guitar_kid
Famous Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr3000gt
If it was me, I'd buy the Samick if I wanted a good playing guitar. If I wanted something to sell later for something else, I'd buy the Epi.

Have you seen Samicks??? I cannot believe the attention to detail and the high quality finish on most of the Samick line. Whats more astounding: binding on both the neck and body for a guitar under 500.00 bucks!

I have a collegue who has played as long as I have (since around 1982), and this guy swears by Samick. He has the Les Paul copy, and the PRS copy and is in the process of getting a third. He is a professional guitar player, and can use just about what he wants. While I would use a 4500.00 Les Paul is I was doing what he is doing, nothing can get him away from the Samick Les Paul clone. I can way Im impressed totally. The Samick folks know how to build a high quality guitar that makes Gibson cry. If I was not soooo big into the Strats and Jacksons, I'd have one.

Samick is NOT a minor player: those Koreans have finally figured out how to build a high quality instrument (and at an unbelievably cheap price).
Is what makes me buying a Korean made guitar funny is that I'm half korean(My mom is korean).
Fender Pedal Tuner
Bad Monkey Overdrive
Dunlop 95Q Wah
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo
Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 AM   #14
LegatoVibrato
Local Artist

LegatoVibrato is on a distinguished road
I would never buy a guitar based on the stock pickups, because they never sound as good as what you can get from Dimarzio or Duncan. Believe me, those "Duncan Designed" are nothing special.

Instead, just focus on the materials, the specs, and how it feels. Part of the problem for me is that the guitars in the shops are never set up, so they all tend to play almost, but not completely unlike crap.

For that reason, I like to buy from Guitar Center. They have the 30 day return policy, so I can set up the guitar and see what it really plays like.

Hope that helps.

-Legato
LegatoVibrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #15
stingx
Napoleon Dynamite

stingx is on a distinguished road
You buy the one that you like best...the one that plays and sounds best to you.

People really oughtta know better than to ask questions like this in a forum. You will only get more confused because most people will tout THEIR favorite make and also cuz you get some really stupid answers as well.

As was mentioned, Samick manufactures the guitars for many companies. They are the NUMBER ONE (LARGEST) guitar manufacturer in the world. The vast majority of guitars you see in the stores are re-badged Samick-made guitars. For anyone to say they "suck" only shows ignorance on their part.

Good luck in whatever you choose

Musicians Online Collaboration Website
stingx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epiphone les paul, les paul, peavey classic