Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music General > The Guitar Rack

Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Rhoads' Student

What pickups does Jimmy Page use?

I know this may be in the wrong section for this question, but what pickups has Jimmy Pages used through the years. I am crazy for his 70's tone as well as his Outrider tone. I know part of his tone has to do with him using those damned Marshall 100 Watt tubes (I prefer solidstate Marshalls because of their clean sound), but I also know that pickups have a hell of alot to do with tone. I would really like to match his clean tone...
Old 07-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Rhoads' Student

Well?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Mike M
Backup Artist

Mike M is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, I'm not sure which pups he used but I do know that tone involves a lot more than just equipment - a lot of any great player's tone comes from the way HE'S made: bones, skin, muscle, sinew.

I think you'll be only a small part of the way to finding what you want when you find out the tech-spec.

Check this out: http://www.gibson.com/products/gibso...JimmyPage.html
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Rhoads' Student

Yeah I know about "finger tone", but I still don't see much difference in the sound... I know certain people hit the strings a certain way (Like how hard you press the note, how you pick, how close you get to the frets). I don't see alot of difference in Jimmy's tone between 70 and 79, except that he was on herion in 79 and he didn't solo as well. I did notice change in his Since I've been Lovin' you tone in 79! He totally used too much treble and he screwed up his showcase! John Paul Jones had to cover up his playing by playing the piano parts louder and more like the guitar line! Anyway... Thanks for the link to that site! Personally I think that the pickups have to do with the tone alot more than your fingers do, because of personal experience. Just listen to the difference to Fender Strat pickups and Seymour Duncans in your strat! You get sweeter clean tone with the Duncans. I am still debating on what to put in my Gibson SG though... Jimmy Page's ceramics or Zakk Wyldes EMGs? I am crazy for clean tone, and so crazy that I only care about the guitar's clean tone. It would be easier for a guy like me if all the descriptions for pickups wouldn't just talk about the distortion! I like Jimmy's clean sound (even though Marshall tube amps clean sound is bad) and I figured it had to do with his pickups.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
TRox
Famous Artist

TRox is on a distinguished road
HUH???^^^^ I have several guitars with different p/u's. sd's are okay for the bridge(hot rails in my blackie, and a Phil in my Tele). Fenders are just fine in a strat. Gibson 57 reissue and a Dimarzio Super Distortion will give you any Page sound and even close to the Tele sound in the middle position.

In your fingers...Jeeze. Page didn't find his fingers until he turned 50.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Rhoads' Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRox
HUH???^^^^ I have several guitars with different p/u's. sd's are okay for the bridge(hot rails in my blackie, and a Phil in my Tele). Fenders are just fine in a strat. Gibson 57 reissue and a Dimarzio Super Distortion will give you any Page sound and even close to the Tele sound in the middle position.

In your fingers...Jeeze. Page didn't find his fingers until he turned 50.
Well, I hate the pick ups that most strats come with! I can't even get that great Dire Straits tone with my Fender Strat, and probably because the pickups make it sound like something Kurt Cobain would of used on Bleach. (Not really something Mark would like for his Sultans of Swing tone!) I think that the pickups that my Gibson L6-S are great, and they sort of match Page's clean tone but they are even better! (Hey, Bill Lawerence designed the L6-S, what would you expect?) My SG's pickups are fine, but I want more butter and sweetness added to them, so I was just wondering about Jimmy Page like pickups or maybe Zakk Wylde's EMGs.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Rhoads' Student

Oh, here is another question... How does Jimmy get such good clean sound from those Marshalls? Is it his amp settings or his pickups?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
TRox
Famous Artist

That flew like a Lead Zepplin. Page played Teles in the studio. Most likely stock p/us and Fender or Vox amps. His LP Had a 57 in the neck and most likely a p/u simular to a Dimarzio SD1. I can recreate his exact concert tone with my p/u configuration, but my axe is in tune. Gibson 57 Reissue in the neck, Dimarzio Super Distortion 1 in the bridge.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
kashmir
Starving Artist

kashmir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads' Student
Oh, here is another question... How does Jimmy get such good clean sound from those Marshalls? Is it his amp settings or his pickups?
That were "Marshall Majors" 200 Watt beasts! They have a very special sound which you don't find on any other Marshall...

cheers

kashmir
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
bluesplayer
Valhalla is coming !!!!!

bluesplayer is on a distinguished road
I'm no expert on Pages sound but what little info i have is yours . I'm pretty sure page used stock pickups on his early Telecaster ( flowery thing ) and in his Les Paul's up to maybe 74 when I'm pretty sure he would of jumped on the Dimarzio bandwagon .Strat pickups are all stock and thats probably because Strat pickups were good anyway . I did have the briefest of chats with the most Holy God Messiah (JP) and i asked him what he used for his sound , but things been what they were ( packed rock club , hustle bustle , noise ) i got a very quick reply most of which i never heard , but i nodded agreeably . then i was ushered away clueless , if only i could lipread . I have had the good fortune to play a JP relic , it has about 35 different pickup combinations , most of which are very very cool . Its a copy of his most famous Les Paul given to him by Joe Walsh back in 72 i believe .It has modifications like a different input socket and the slimmest , and i kid you not , the slimmest of necks , so good a Pygmy could wrap his hand round it twice .............
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
TRox
Famous Artist

Really? That is cool! I got to jam with Rob Kendrick(Trapeezz) back in the mid 70's. He was on the Strat/Vox trip. My older brother gave him my 65 15 watt Vox tube amp that I almost killed him because of it. I played a Fender Super Quad Reverb back then. Best amp I ever played through.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #12
Dave Owens
Starving Artist

Dave Owens is on a distinguished road
I am a HUGE Page fan and I'm sure you could find more about the tech side of his tone by finding some sites surrounding his new Gibson Signature guitar they recently released (not the 90s one!). They usually explain how they got to the repro of it and would most likely list the pups he was using...especially since his primary guitar was that LP Std.

One thing to also think about it that he used Teles quite a bit. Many people don't know that he used a Tele on the Stairway solo. He's also an amazing producer/sound engineer and if you're going for the tones off his recording then I'd suggest looking into what amps he was recording with at the time. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he rarely used the Marshalls in the studio...

And of course...tone does come from the fingers. Hendrix is a great example of that...he would play a strat for awhile...then switch over to a flyin' V and you could barely tell the difference. Eric Johnson (of all people haha) also says that many people get so wrapped up in how to achieve a certain kind of tone and they don't realize that its all about how they approach the guitar and the little things like picks and such.

Hope that helps a little!

~Dave
Dave Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
3fingers
I am a meat popsicle

3fingers is on a distinguished road
Wow at Bluesy's post...it thought HE was Jimmy for a long while. I think the tones on the albums are various magical tricks Page was famous for. I know he did use a Telecaster and did some things with a wah wha pedal...depressed or open for some leads. I don't think it was the pickups as opposed to studio techniques he pioneered. Live, his tone is different, but great imo. That i think is the big question. What did he use there? I agree I have read about the Marshall Major's and Orange amps he has used, but something perhaps in the wood, or pickups of an old 58 LP as well as finger tonality. He was just a master at getting tones!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
TRox
Famous Artist

You are right with the fingers thing. I own 5 guitars one being acoustic. I have been playing for 43 years. Most of them lead. Everyone of my 4 electrics have different tones but they sound simular. Imagine that! All different and different configurations.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Rhoads' Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Owens
I am a HUGE Page fan and I'm sure you could find more about the tech side of his tone by finding some sites surrounding his new Gibson Signature guitar they recently released (not the 90s one!). They usually explain how they got to the repro of it and would most likely list the pups he was using...especially since his primary guitar was that LP Std.

One thing to also think about it that he used Teles quite a bit. Many people don't know that he used a Tele on the Stairway solo. He's also an amazing producer/sound engineer and if you're going for the tones off his recording then I'd suggest looking into what amps he was recording with at the time. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he rarely used the Marshalls in the studio...

And of course...tone does come from the fingers. Hendrix is a great example of that...he would play a strat for awhile...then switch over to a flyin' V and you could barely tell the difference. Eric Johnson (of all people haha) also says that many people get so wrapped up in how to achieve a certain kind of tone and they don't realize that its all about how they approach the guitar and the little things like picks and such.

Hope that helps a little!

~Dave
I think Eric Johnson is a total smuck. He can't make his mind up about anything, and he is way too tone crazy... His tone really isn't all that great in my book, because I can get his tone with my strat and the gain on my old Fender Frontman...
I do agree with the finger tone thing, and the pick and strings thing. Check out Angus Youngs tone and then look at Stevie Ray Vaughn's... It is all in the gauges. Tortex and regular plastic ones also effect your sound... They are so different!
I know Page used the Tele for the Stairway solo... I read alot on him. I love the Tele sound, but his live sound is really what I am after... I want to know how he got the clean sound that he did then! He turns his amps up so loud that he always gets a little distortion, but he does a good job of hiding that on Stairway! I like his clean sound on the live version of "Since I've Been Lovin you" at the begining part right when the verse starts... It's orgasmic!

Tags
angus young, eric johnson, fender strat, gibson custom, gibson custom shop, gibson sg, hot rails, jimmy page, joe walsh, john paul jones, kurt cobain, les paul, paul jones, ray vaughn, seymour duncan, seymour duncans, stevie ray, stevie ray vaughn, tube amps, zakk wylde