Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach guitar clinic !!!

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rocker35 
#1 ·
Just got back from the Doug Aldrich & Reb Beach guitar clinic in Manchester and all I can say is WOW!!!!

Two of my top 3 favourite guitarists in an intimate showcase in front of about 250/300 people before Whitesnake's UK tour kicks off later tonight. It was arranged by Sounds Great Music in conjunction with Suhr guitars and Custom Audio Amplifiers.

I was originally gonna go with the other guitarist in my band but he backed out at the last minute. So with Mrs Rockers blessing, I set off this afternoon for the 180 mile drive to Manchester. The traffic was terrible with it being a Holiday weekend and I thought I would never get there but arrived just as Reb Beach fired up.

What a player and a great, funny guy to boot. He played some of his solo fusion stuff which was amazing as well as snippets and solo's from his Winger and Dokken days. He also kept us in stitches for an hour with some great stories from his past. He also does some great voices (hardly suprising since his brother is a famous voice over guy). Some of his one liners were classic - "My first gig was session player for Fiona produced by Beau Hill. After that, I played on everything that Beau did 'because I sounded like and 80's guitar player'......which I still do!!!!":24:

Next, Doug Aldrich stepped up to the plate and announced that he was completely jet lagged as unlike the rest of the band, he had flown from Japan to LA, where he was mixing some of the new Whitesnake stuff and flew into the UK that morning. However, if he was jetlagged, it didn't show, because he ripped it up as only he can and did some of his solo stuff as well as bits of solo's and a great slide solo. Doug's quite a quiet person who "doesn't do mics like Reb" so just played some more.

cont.......

See less See more
#3 ·
cont.....

After about 40 minutes, Reb joined in and the two of them jammed away for another 20 minutes, doing some blues and great duelling - absoulutely superb!!!!:devilchil

Sounds Great presented them both with speacially commissioned personalised Mollon and Cry Baby pedals and then they both sat by the stage signing stuff and a general meet and greet. I was priviliged to get the chance to spend about 10 minutes with them both, just chatting about gear, Whitesnake, and a bunch of other stuff. Cool, cool guys and something I'll never forget.

Here's yours truly with them both

I also recorded a couple of short video clips for your enjoyment. (Sorry about the quality, but it's off my stills camera!!!)

:thumb:

Attachments

#4 ·
eamon7 said:
wow what a great place to be. i love both of those guys and to see them in that setting must have been incredible. let me ask you what did aldrich use for an amp and other gear to get that fabulous tone of his?

Eamon, you gotta believe me when I say it was out of this world and both of them are great, cool guys, taking plenty of time to chat to everyone.
Doug was using two of his Les Pauls (goldtop and flamed burst) and vintage white tele for the slide stuff. He actually played through an Engl SE head and two Engl cabs loaded with Vintage 30's. I didn't see all his pedals, but he was using a Digitech 'Jimi Hendrix' wah/octave pedal. His tone was amazing!!!!
As I said before, a night never to forget!!!

#5 ·
WOW!!!! Extraordinary experience eh??!!!! They are definitly two of the greatest going, for sure!!!! And to get to hang out a bit, and they were NORMAL and COOL!!! Awesome for you bro!!! I just got the DVD....thats probably as close as i'll ever get to 'em!!! LOL!!! Great post!!!!:thumb:

#7 ·
Wow... Looks like you had an awesome time. I have the Whitesnake DVD too - awesome gig, but have you noticed that perhaps Coverdale has been overdubbed a little?

Anyway, I managed to catch Doug last year when he was playing with Dio at the Bristol Academy and he just blew me away. I first heard Doug on the Dio DVD 'Evil or Divine' and thought what a wonderful player he was with a killer tone. The Dio tour had started off with Craig Goldie on guitar but he didnt do some of the gigs which according to a few forums was due to him appearing to be drunk on stage during a few of the gigs.

Imagine my surprise when Doug comes out with Dio unannounced... to say I was over the moon is an understatement.

I'm hoping to catch him with Whitesnake on this tour if tickets are left?

#9 ·
Brilliant stuff Paul...thanks for posting...ya know Doug is top of the tree for me dont ya! I also think Reb is a great player so I'd have loved to have been there. My mate Jay Parmar tried to get me to go along to a George Lynch one in Birmingham but sadly I was working. I always think of Doug being a hybrid of Lynch and SRV and I love it when he plays strats (which he never does with Whitesnake).

Great post...thanks mate. Doug WILL inherit the guitar crown when the rest of the world see FINALLY what an amazingly soulful and rockin' player he is. :thumb:

#10 ·
wahwah said:
Brilliant stuff Paul...thanks for posting...ya know Doug is top of the tree for me dont ya! I also think Reb is a great player so I'd have loved to have been there. My mate Jay Parmar tried to get me to go along to a George Lynch one in Birmingham but sadly I was working. I always think of Doug being a hybrid of Lynch and SRV and I love it when he plays strats (which he never does with Whitesnake).

Great post...thanks mate. Doug WILL inherit the guitar crown when the rest of the world see FINALLY what an amazingly soulful and rockin' player he is. :thumb:

Got to agree there mate, Doug is number 1 in my book too!!! He is a great guy as well - totally laid back and very friendly. We probably could have sat all night and chatted had he not been as jetlagged!!! Reb is a great guy too - very chatty and a real comedian!! Doug referred to Reb as the guy that plays all the notes and Reb refers to Doug as the soulful guy that has the power. TBH, they are a perfect compliment. They both wished me well and hoped to see me at the Whitesnake gig at Newcastle. A perfect night!!!!:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.