Description from Steve Winwood
fan site: http://www.winwoodfans.com/boot70.htm
OMS Reel Recordings, Mexico. This is billed as out takes from the Low Spark studio sessions, thought it seems to have other stuff as well. The sound quality is excellent except for the alternate mix "Rock & Roll Stew" extended version which is curiously distorted. 12 tracks pretty much suitable for die hard fans only:
1) Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, alternate take 2/9/71. Not really that different from the real version except that Chris Wood's electric sax is replaced by lethargic noodling.
2) "Rock & Roll Stew" alternate take, 5/19/71. Same words & progression as the actual take but the feel of the song is completely different. Almost a different song entirely. Interesting to see how the song evolved over 3 months time.
3) "Rainmaker" Different mix 5/19/71. Pretty much what it says.
4) "Rock & Roll Stew" different mix 8/25/71. This is (I guess) the full version from the English 45. As mentioned above, it is somewhat distorted (overmodulated) though certainly listenable. The instrumental ending not included on the album version is not particularly memorable. If this is indeed the extended 45 version, you haven't missed much.
5) "Light Up or Leave me Alone" different mix 8/25/71. Mostly, the difference is Capaldi vocalizing a bit during the instrumental sections.
6) Jam #1, take 2. Personnel not really listed but it sounds like Winwood, Gordon & Grech sounding sorta like Blind Faith. Interesting take but just a jammy thing.
7 & 8) Jam #2 & 3 w/Muscle Shoals Horns. Not sure who's playing what beyond the obvious. The rhythm section certainly seems to be the Alabamy boys and I'd bet on Winwood on guitar and maybe organ. Shoot Out meets a horn section.
9 & 10) "It's So Hard" Capaldi & Gordon. Capaldi & (Gordon) playing acoustic guitar
, fleshing out the song. For die hard fans only.
11 & 12) "Easter Weekend" Same as above.