Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

The Ulnarian vs metaljonus (15 votes to win)

• The Ulnarian

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • metaljonus

Votes: 13 54.2%

Metaljonus vs. The Ulnarian

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  The Ulnarian 
#1 ·
This is a little piece I call "Fall From Grace". It's all about this benevolent king who's tired of having absolute power. In the beggining the king is reflecting upon his life and decides to end it by jupming out of the tower window. A lowly peasant finds his body and laments. Soon the whole township join in. After the tears, the town reflects upon the king's life.

Har Har, me and Metaljonus, just like old times...

#2 ·
Nowhere-Metaljonus

K This is my 1st time doing this thanks for popping my cherry ul lol. This song is a song I did months ago( I guess you can call it old?) To me it is one of those songs that went "nowhere" but "somewhere" also. hehe good luck ul! Just like ol times. How I miss those days :smirk:

#3 ·
both great tunes you guys !

i wish yours was a tad longer uln ! but great melody and the drums sound really good here !

jonus , the beginning of yours was very awesome .. and the middle section with the clean rhythm guitars and the swelled harmony notes .. very vai ! i loved it !

cool battle :thumb:

#4 ·
Stig-Actually, in terms of length, this song is an epic for me (most of songs are barely 1 minute). However, yeah, you're right, I did want to make it longer but I recorded this initially for a site called Guitar War. Unfortunately, there's a 1.5meg limit over there and if my song was any longer I'd go down a notch or two in encoding quality, ultimately I kinda just ended. Probably should've attached some more stuff for this site though.

#9 ·
both great posts.. reminds me of the gb days.. ulnie i have to ask you.. did you change your tone? i love this heavy tone you have.. your stuff always kicked ass but seems like now your playin with a heavier tone and more melody to your post and i for one am lovin it...jon lots of great licks in there as always amazing bro

#10 ·
Gwiz-Heya, thx for listening. If you mean "Have I changed my tone between now and our last battle" the answer is nope. I used just about the same settings (on my crappy Digitech RP100). However, for this song, I tweaked the hell out of my EQ in parts, layered the crap out of that heavy rhythm and added a nice flanger effect in parts.

The rhythm tone is an idea I took from KCRocker. Basically, you lay down one part of the chord voicing on one track and a different part on another track. For instance, my heavy rhythm here looks somethign like this..

(ONE TRACK, I FORGET WHERE ITS PANNED)
----------
-7-7-7-------b
-5-5-5-------g
-4-4-4-------d
----------a

(SECOND TRACK; PLAYED SIMULATENOUS WITH THE FIRST)

----------D
4-4-4--------A
2-2-2--------e

Later on in the song is a cool idea I took from a guy name ROBOT, basically, you kill all of the EQ in the song except that you boost high end. Then you flange it (lol I even flanged the drums) and you're left with sweet, overprocessed sound.

Hope that helps.

#11 ·
thx ulnie that helped and gave me somethin new to try.. but as for your tone i was referring to your tone now opposed back to gb

#15 ·
Holy crap YOU GUYS! Man I havnt seen you guys in a long time. Maybe yuo remeber me from the original guitar battle (metal jonus, we will STILL DO THAT BATTLE MWAHAHAHHA). Is there a list of the originals that made it here? I wonder who else made it back.....

btw I just voted, such a great battle. 2 Great artists. :bannana_g

#16 ·
Wow that was a toughie. But I am going to choose metal jonus. His solos were amazingly melodic. And I loved his tones. You gotta help me, haha could you tell me what gear you were using on the recording?

Ill vote on this thing as soon as I figure out how to :doh:

#17 ·
Ginner said:
Holy crap YOU GUYS! Man I havnt seen you guys in a long time. Maybe yuo remeber me from the original guitar battle (metal jonus, we will STILL DO THAT BATTLE MWAHAHAHHA). Is there a list of the originals that made it here? I wonder who else made it back.....

btw I just voted, such a great battle. 2 Great artists. :bannana_g
hey ginner! good to see ya man! this is axe from old gb! good to see ya around this site. hope we hear stuff from ya soon!:icon_thum

#18 ·
Well, I checked both of these out,, and i have to say that both of these rock! This battle for me was a tough one to choose. I went with Jonus cause it was a little heavier. Not to take away anything from Ulnarian's ,, cause i loved that one too! These both wewre awesome posts.... sure beats hearing 750 kb huh guys.... lol wtg you too! kick ass originals indeed,, and g/l to the winner. either ways,, your both winners in my book.:icon_thum :rock: :rock:

#20 ·
Ulnarian-loved the sound of the guitar; especailly the beginning tones. Very epic piece telling a story with tons of feel as usual.

Metaljonus...there were so many great tones on your track. Loved the tone at about 1.10;very Brian May to my ears and really creamy...awesome. The solo at the end as well has some real Zakk/Dimebag wild vibrato wrings about 2.01. Excellent song that, same as Ulnarian's, took me on a journey.

Tough one to vote on as both tracks have so much going for them.

#24 ·
I didnt read anybody`s views and listened to each submission 3 times before making my mind up so as i could give a completely unbiased or prejudiced opinion

I loved Ulnarian`s submission and found Metaljonus submission very very contrived and ultimately tedious.

where ulnarian realised that a song is about melody and structure, i think jonus completely forgot that fundemental principle. where ulnarian left space and gaps and allowed the music to breathe, i feel that jonus would do well at guitarwar where beedily beedily piddly widdly guitar reigns supreme. production was cool on both tracks, but the clincher is that one track held my interest and i was glad the other ended when it did. Ulnarian had the emotive aspect whereas i felt jonus did not show any whatsoever , Id seriously love to hear submissions by ulnarian , i think he is great player. thanks for the entries guys.

jimmy

#25 · (Edited)
biggus dikkus said:
I didnt read anybody`s views and listened to each submission 3 times before making my mind up so as i could give a completely unbiased or prejudiced opinion

I loved Ulnarian`s submission and found Metaljonus submission very very contrived and ultimately tedious.

where ulnarian realised that a song is about melody and structure, i think jonus completely forgot that fundemental principle. where ulnarian left space and gaps and allowed the music to breathe, i feel that jonus would do well at guitarwar where beedily beedily piddly widdly guitar reigns supreme. production was cool on both tracks, but the clincher is that one track held my interest and i was glad the other ended when it did. Ulnarian had the emotive aspect whereas i felt jonus did not show any whatsoever , Id seriously love to hear submissions by ulnarian , i think he is great player. thanks for the entries guys.

jimmy
Meh...no point of me posting any music hear......and yes I am a member of guitarwar.....I am trying to not start crap so i'll just shut up now.... Also what is the fundemental principle? Making music is just making music man I don't follow no stupid fucking principle let alone care...What you said I find insulting in a way....and this is a metal battle not a battle of melody and emotion.....

#26 ·
metaljonus said:
Meh...no point of me posting any music hear......and yes I am a member of guitarwar.....I am trying to not start crap so i'll just shut up now.... Also what is the fundemental principle? Making music is just making music man I don't follow no stupid fucking principle let alone care...What you said I find insulting in a way....and this is a metal battle not a battle of melody and emotion.....
MJ im sorry you feel that way bro, I honestly belived that ulnarians clips was very musical indeed, im not judging it by flash gtr and notes per second, i jugde it by how musical i found them to be, i didnt know you were at GW but i could hear it in your playing.

I dont want to fall out with you man, its just a bit of music and my opinion aint definite , heck you are neck and neck in the poll dude. folks at GW may approach a submission from a different angle as to what i do, flash playing and million mile per hour playing doesnt interest me at all , if i can hear what a player is trying to tell me conveyed by the guitar, then I am all ears. My inspiration is Gary Moore for whom that intensity , tone choice and melody is everything. Dont wanna fall out Jonus...........peace ok bro :jam:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.