THE BEATLES - "Cavern Club Tapes" - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitars101 - Guitar Forums > Music Files > Bootlegs > Lossy Audio Bootlegs

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slipperman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arena Artist

slipperman is on a distinguished road
THE BEATLES - "Cavern Club Tapes"

THE BEATLES - "Cavern Club Tapes"
Everything recorded in The Cavern that's known to circulate

Notes: short but sweet, this is everything to my knowledge that was recorded in the Cavern Club in Liverpool that's known to circulate, I say this because there's a 18-track lunch-time session from mid-1962 with Pete Best on drums that was purchased at auction by Paul McCartney!
This release contains three distinct recordings of "Some Other Guy", all introduced differently. Supposedly only two of these versions had previously circulated among collector's.

August 22nd, 1962 - Granada T.V. recording:
01 Some Other Guy (afterwards you distinctly hear one guy shout "We want Pete")

September 5th, 1962 - Granada T.V. recording:
02 Some Other Guy (afterwards John says "we'll probably have to do it again")
03 Kansas City (with "Anthology" voice-over digitally reduced as much as possible)

October 1962 rehearsal behind closed doors:
04 I Saw Her Standing There
05 One After 909 #1
06 One After 909 #2
07 Catswalk #1 (original unreleased instrumental)
08 Catswalk #2 (original unreleased instrumental)

October 27th, 1962:
09 1st radio interview ever!

August 22nd, 1962 - Granada T.V. recording:
10 Some Other Guy (afterwards you hear a chorus of people shouting "We want Pete")

Recording details:
September 5th, 1962 - Granada T.V. recording:
Five acetate recordings were made from that reel in 1962. While four of them are unaccounted for, the fifth copy was sold at auction in 1993 for just over $24,000 to Apple Records.

October 1962 rehearsal:
On about August 15th, 1962, The Beatles asked Ringo Starr to join the band. His first performance with the band was August 18th, 1962 at The Horticultural Society Dance at Hulme Hall on Bolton Rd., Port Sunlight in Birkenhead, Cheshire.
This recording probably dates from late September - early October 1962. It can be assumed that it was recorded for reference purposes by The Beatles themselves, and Ringo has confirmed he's drumming on this recording.
How the tape came in to circulation is unclear. Likewise, while it is likely that the original tape contains or contained more, these performances are the only ones to surface.

October 27th, 1962 - 1st radio interview:
At 8.45pm on this date, before their fourth and final live appearance at the Hulme Hall in Birkenhead, The Beatles recorded a radio interview for Radio Clatterbridge. It is the group's first surviving spoken-word interview.
The station served two local hospitals, Cleaver and Clatterbridge. The Beatles were interviewed by Monty Lister, with additional questions from Malcolm Threadgill and Peter Smethurst. Lister presented two shows on the Radio Clatterbridge: Music With Monty and Sunday Spin.
The Beatles had little experience to draw from - just three weeks had passed since the release of Love Me Do - and much of the interview was spent establishing basic information about the group. John Lennon spoke of working on Please Please Me in the hope that it would become their second single, and Paul McCartney notably described Lennon as The Beatles' leader.
Mark Lewisohn's 1986 book The Beatles Live! contained a flexidisc of the interview, following which it was widely bootlegged. McCartney's comments about My Bonnie were included in the Anthology 1 album in 1995.

Unreleased 1962 Cavern Club show (never been circulated but mentioned by me above):
In mid-1962, "a fan in the audience" at the Cavern recorded a Beatles' performance, more-or-less in full. It's the only full-length recording of them live known to exist prior the Star Club tapes from late Dec. 1962.
On August 29th 1985, the tape was auctioned and sold at Sotheby's in London. Sotheby's said it was recorded in February or March of 1962, but this can't be accurate, as one of the covers they play wasn't released until May and didn't reach British charts until June. Most say the show was recorded in June or July of 1962. Definitely Pete Best on drums. Sotheby's sold it that day for 2,310. Who bought it? Paul McCartney of course!
Nobody knows anything about the sound quality. The setlist (as recorded anyway) is:
- Words of Love
- What's Your Name
- Roll Over Beethoven
- Ask Me Why[listed as 'Tell My Why' by Sotheby's, but that's almost surely an error]
- The Hippy Hippy Shake
- Til There Was You
- Hey! Baby
- If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody
- Please Mister Postman
- Sharing You
- Your Feet's Too Big
- Dizzy Miss Lizzy
- I Forgot to Remember to Forget
- Matchbox
- I Wish I Could Shimmy Like my Sister Kate [aka: Shimmy Like Kate; aka: Shimmy Shimmy]
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Young Blood
- Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)

https://www.mediafire.com/?ee6vusu5aujldz8

dsinger6 likes this.
slipperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
101 Guru

25or6to4 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for using Mediafire, it's fast, fast, fast!
25or6to4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Famous Artist

cagoule is on a distinguished road
merci beaucoup
cagoule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Local Artist

lizzyhead is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for sharing this one slipperman - much appreciated
lizzyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Starving Artist

gerebeer is on a distinguished road
thanks, the link is still working !!!
gerebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Backup Artist

BigBerthaJones is on a distinguished road
Thank you!!!
BigBerthaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Starving Artist

SparkyKW is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
SparkyKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
101 Guru

bannerpeak is on a distinguished road
cheers !!!

thank you !!!
bannerpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
101 Guru

Jonnobaas_sea is on a distinguished road
Remember Maggie May, the final track on side A of Let It Be? It's due to the lyric, "And she'll never walk down Lime Street anymore," that when I went to Liverpewell specifically in order to see the Liver buildings, I took the Virgin Train to Lime Street, not the station for the Liver buildings. By the time I realized this I was far too ratted to wrap my lips around consonants. Everybody sounds like Ringo there...
Old 04-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Famous Artist

A Fan is on a distinguished road
Thanks much, Slipperman! The info about the uncirculated 1962 cavern show is fascinating.
A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Arena Artist

xavierdlt is on a distinguished road
Thank you Slipperman!
xavierdlt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavern, the beatles