Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already got a Pod XT and can get decent tones with it but I have only studio reference monitors to amplify my noise. Now how should I spend 1200 dollars on new gear. What I'm looking to do is to be able to play in a garage/basement band. I'll need to be pretty loud but not like full out stage volume. The room is about 14ft. x 20ft. and will contain acoustic drums, my new gear along with the gear of a bass player. The choices that I have considered were: 1). Pod XT with outboard power amp and PA speakers. 2). 2x12 combo dedicated guitar amp. 3). Head and cab (4x12) setup. Which option would you guys choose, what brand of equipment and what particular model. I play mostly progressive rock ala Dream Theater. Thanks for all your suggestions. Rich

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I have had my eye (ear) set on the Duoverb Series from Line 6. I would at least hear it. Good luck with it. Not a bad position to be in at all. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree with Wah Wah...if you like the PODXT you can't go wrong with a Vetta. It's basically 2 POD XT's in a 350W head. It works great a low volumes also....very full sound. I absolutely love mine. I also played the Vetta combo the other day and it sounded awesome as well.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
why not keep it clean and simple A nice poweramp and 4x12 cab would be great. It wont color the pod's tone and has more than enough to keep up with the drums and bass player. That would save alot of money for maybe a new guitar.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rich Watkins said:
I've already got a Pod XT and can get decent tones with it but [...]
1). Pod XT with outboard power amp and PA speakers.
2). 2x12 combo dedicated guitar amp.
3). Head and cab (4x12) setup.
Which option would you guys choose, what brand of equipment and what particular model. I play mostly progressive rock ala Dream Theater. Thanks for all your suggestions. Rich
If you're playing that style of rock, you really shouldn't look at anything but a full tube rig. Personally, I prefer Marshalls, although there are some others that sound pretty good ( but are generally more expensive).

For $1200, you should be able to find either a decent TSL combo or a used head/4x12 pairing. I would suggest a Plexi re-issue if you can find it, paired with a 1960 cabinet. 50W is probably a good fit, given that you'll probably be more focused on the overdriven tones.

Once you play through a real (i.e., all-tube) Marshall half-stack and feel the dynamics of the rig, you'll never go back to the POD.

MM

...but, this one goes to eleven....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about this set up....

Rocktron Vooduvalve preamp/effects processor coupled with a Mesa Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp and a Marshall 4x12 cab. Would a cheaper Marshall cab (MG412A) be a bad thing or should I consider an AVT or 1960 cab.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Rich Watkins said:
Rocktron Vooduvalve preamp/effects processor coupled with a Mesa Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp and a Marshall 4x12 cab. Would a cheaper Marshall cab (MG412A) be a bad thing or should I consider an AVT or 1960 cab.
I have an AVT 50 watt half stack that I gig with. Usually I don't have to go over 4 1/2 in a club setting :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts