Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think would be a wiser choice for a gigging amp for metal and lead.. i also play in several worship bands, and need an amp that can bust out some nice blues tones, and decent clean tones.. is the 5150 212 120 watts? or 60 watts.. and will it do for gigs? is it good for metal? help me out in anyway possible...

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
i really dont understand it but everyone says 60 watt 5150 cranks..how can 60 watts crank....ive been checking out the xxl combo and its great but you may want to wait for the peavey JSX combo....its gonna blow em all away from what ive been hearing

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The 60W 5150 combo cranks....but cranks lots of midrange. If you play a lot of metal tuned down to D or even B in some cases....you need more power. A 60 Watt amp simply cannot push floor shaking bass....if that's what you need to annoy the neighborhood.

I personally don't like 2-12 combos becasue they are friggin heavy....I lugged one around for years...and that 5150 combo is a beast to carry. Will it play metal.....sure and you won't even need a distortion pedal. Many metal bands play 5150's.

I have heard many good things about the JSX amp....but never tried one.

I have a 300W stereo head that sounds like an earthquake when you turn it up and tune down. Overkill ????......yes.......I suppose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They are both great amps. I love the XXX because it sports the option of using EL34's. You can't get a great EVH tone without them IMHO. That is the tube the Marshall super leads have. The 5150 and XXX with 6L6's are not as warm sounding but still are killer. The XXX has a lot more tonal options. This is because it sports an active EQ. It is also a lot quieter because it has an on board noise reduction circuit. The JSX is too new and I would wait before buying one. There are a few bugs in it yet including a recall due to a missing componant in the noise reduction circuit.

Word has it their will be a JSX combo displayed at this winter's NAMM. That means you will probably see it in the stores the following summer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i dont want a van halen tone.. im looking for something for metal.. and im definatly not using a distortion pedal, or gettin distortion from anywheres but my amp.. i play in standard e , or standard d.. im thinkin i might buy the xxx.. but im gonna try out the jsx head, and if i like it enough, maybe ill save up and get that

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 5150 combo and it does crank. It is the loudest 60 watt amp you will find. I also think with its closed back cabinet design it thumps lows extremely well for an amp with only 2 12 inch speakers. It is a very midrange-focused sound, but it gets enormous distortion even at low vloumes. This thing sounds even better when you open it up some!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 5150 Combo, 5150 Head and Marshall DSL 100 head. The combo is very loud. For whatever reason, my combo has lots of bottom end and lots of top end, very good for metal, but does sound a lot like EVH.

I do not think you will have any problem the combo's ability to fill a room.

If you want a solid performer, my personal favorite is the 5150 original head. It has tones of punch, very tight sound with an EQ that actually works. It does everything pretty well. I have heard they are noisy, but mine is very quiet. I think it is very important to make sure the outlet you are plugging your amp in does not conflict with computer or fluorescent lights.

Regards!
Bob

G

·
My 5150 combo does 120 watts. Its clean channel is perfect depending ( your pickups can enhance this ). I found groove tubes increased the tone slightly, less noise.. I use a metal zone MT-2 for metal and it rawks IMO. Best way to make a decision is to play it for yourself.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SixStringSamurai said:
My 5150 combo does 120 watts. Its clean channel is perfect depending ( your pickups can enhance this ). I found groove tubes increased the tone slightly, less noise.. I use a metal zone MT-2 for metal and it rawks IMO. Best way to make a decision is to play it for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 5150 combo is 120 watts????? That is a pretty good trick for a 60 watt amp...how many 6L6 power tubes does it have?

·
Registered
500 Posts
What??!!

Dude! That's like asking if you should bang either a hot-redhead or a hot-blond!!...Some people have their preferences, and just go with whatever you want to get most. I'd get them both, but if money's an issue, than choose carefully... :scratch:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The XXX is a more versatile amp. Three channels, Active EQ, Supports different power tubes, Built in noise gate, and speaker damping switch. I would get the head and a 2X12 cab. Easier to move!!!

The 5150 is kind of a one trick pony. But it does that trick very well.

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
myself? I'd try out the vetta II combo! That baby has it all! built in digital effects,, you can dial in whatever you want in that amp,, for any situation you want,, wether it's blues,, etc,, has mucho power for gigging. just my thoughts on what i would look at

·
Registered
500 Posts
5150-sweet!!!

Kudos to you filter for seeing the light. MAKE MINE 5150!!! :rock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts