Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I have been checking out some of the other collaboration web sites out there, and have noticed that things are done a bit differently than we do here. I just thought that I would pass this info on and then it would be available to any one here that is interested in using this method.

First of all, when you post a new collab, it should be organized so that everyone can tell at a glance what is going on and where the project stands. Here's a sample post that seems to work well: (Yeah - its one of mine....)

GERRY RAFFERTY - BAKER STREET - FOR COMPILATION CD

_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-

ARTISTS NEEDED:

BASS -----> Position Open
Contenders: YOUR NAME HERE

DRUMS (Real or electronic) ----> Postion Open
Contenders:
Gorverk - Groverk's Take
NickT - NickT's Take

Synthesizers ----> Postion Open
Contenders: YOUR NAME HERE

Here's the mp3:
Baker Street Cover

_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-

Another thing that is being done is that people are using a different method of file compression other than mp3. What I was told to use by another collaborator was the APE format which allows you to compress your wav files and then send them to your collaboration buddies. Here's the details on that:

"APE is the standard for file compression around here. Tight and lossless. go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r11.exe for the converter and http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBpowerAMP-codec-MonkeysAudio.exe for the codec."

Once you have the (free) software installed you can compress your wav files and send them off. Works pretty well really.

Its also nice to have access to an FTP site for sending / recieving files. Collaboration central (artistcollaboration.com) lets you have a free ftp account with limited storage space for file swapping purposes. (Or if you have your own web site, you can use that..... Thats what I do.) Heck - you could even set up an FTP server on your own computer as well, but thats another story.....

So there its - I am sure there could be more details added to this post, but that sums up the basics.

Rj

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I think the only main difference between the two ways of doing it is the file format. That might be something to look into because lossless is always better if it can get small enough.

Keeping things well labeled seems to be common here, I try to do it anyway. They are using several different instruments, and we might be able to but this is a "guitar" website so guitarists are just the norm.

We get an upload/download account as well. It isn't ftp but it serves the same purpose and is more integrated with the website.

Anyway, nice to see how others do it but it doesn't seem to be that much different than what we do...not on the surface anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts