Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retired this neck last year. I had it made by Warmoth around 1980. It has a flat radius and a CBS headstock. After many years of abuse It became unplayable because the frets were nearly worn flat. So, I ripped all the old frets off (horribly scarring the neck as you can see) but, just as I was about to re-fret the thing I noticed the neck had warped terribly so, like I said, I sadly gave it up for dead. That was, like last year, so two weeks ago I nostalgically pick it up only to notice that MIRACULOUSLY the neck had completely straightened itself out. Is this a sign? Should I not merry my Fiance' and spend the rest of my life fingering beads on some wind swept mountain top in Tibet, or should I re-fret the bastard.

I'm wondering if I go through all this and slap it back on a guitar, adjust the truss rod, and tune up the strings, that it will quickly assume its previous warped state? Any thoughts or similar experiences?:devilchil:devilchil

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there...yes...it's a miracle...so...send me the neck...or your fiancee
(i prefer the neck though)...i'll give either one a good home... :wtf:

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
haha strange but true huh dude ... maybe it is a sign man . but i suppose the way to answer the question is ... do you need the neck ? or not ? ... lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well if it had warped it could show a weakness in the wood. If you have a spare strat you should try and install it and see what happens. Just if you do be prepared in case it does warp again.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
No weakness in the wood...wood works it is not a dead thing :D
Throw on some frest man and build one more of those cool sounding guitars of yours.
Too bad Warmoth don't make them like that anymore....
Never mind the scars...hehe my Wolfgangneck is probally even more ugly...that will be corrected at the next refret though....hehe then it will be smoothed out.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Strat, you have to build a new guitar with this neck mate. We need to hear more holdsworth!!! Or maybe a bit of Alan Murphy? heres hoping :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, this neck is now as straight as Ted Nugent. Maybe my house sits on a sacred Indian burial ground? Perhaps the Indians were know for their particularly straight arrows? I'm going to fret it this week! Yes Goport, this was an awesome neck for Holdsworth stuff.:woot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts