Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing in a cover band for 10 years now and I'm 26. The band I play in plays a lot of great classic rock cover songs as well as your typical cheesy songs that get people to dance (even though you don't want to play it). We have a great following with the late 30's and up crowd, but as time has gone by, more people of my generation who have grown up on the terrible top 40s of the 2000's, are predominantly the ones filling the bar.

My question to all of you is what modern songs/artists are you playing to keep them connected. The key to this question though is "to keep them connected." Obviously you could say "Well Joe Bonamassa is from the 2000's, so we play that." Fair point, but outside of the guitar community, he isn't really popular let alone you can't really dance to it. And keeping them dancing is what keeps bar owners happy and you getting more gigs (as a cover band)!

I've been thinking: The Black Keys, John Mayer, Jack White/White Stripes, Maroon 5, and Cee Lo Green's "Forget you." Anyone play their stuff? How's it go over? Have suggestions for any other songs or bands? Think 90's to today.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.