Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Paìsano Supremo
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to upgrade & hopefully move into a tube amp that won't break me. Is there anything of quality in the $200-$300 range?

I've also been looking at the line6 spiders......

If I can't have tubes, I'll get a modeler that sounds like it!!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Im no amp guru but, The Peavey Classic 30 might be a good choice. I think it is a little more expensive than $300 though. I tried one at GC and thought it was great for the price.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Try looking around the pawnshops and mom+pop music stores for old, used tube amps. They are usually killer sounding and dirt-cheap. Try the flea-markets too...

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you can go loud old Traynors will knock you teeth out. A Silvertone 1483 or 1484 is also one hell of a vintage rock head. All sit around that price range. All are tonally equal to much of the boutique stuff made today. The new amps copy these old circuits ( which are great sounding) and sell em for big dollars. Vastly superior to much of the stock factory stuff currently out there.

On the modern front the discontinued Duoverb line from Line 6 is very cool and quite affordable. I would pick that over a Spider.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My personal experience of the spider 2...

Yeah, at first it sounds like a dream, you'd think that it is extremely great and no other amp would be better fitting..... But after a while, the amp just begins to sound way too "digital". Apparantly my dad doesn't mind so I gave it away to him and I ordered a Carvin Legacy half stack, thus destroying my savings :chucks: lol but anyhow if you want really good amp modelling save up for a Vetta, I hear those are unequaled in amp modelling, but since its tubes you want in the first place, save up for one :icon_thum

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
An all tube head in the 2-300 range is not going to be easy to find. The Carvin Legacy is about the cheapest new one you can get.

I now have a Vetta (as was mentioned above) and have since sold all my tube amps and effects......it's meeting my current needs just fine. In fact I may never buy another tube amp.

·
Registered
500 Posts
VHfan: selling your tube amps!?!

What kind of idiot would sell their tube amps??? :icon_nono

·
Paìsano Supremo
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome advice, everybody. Thank you!

I'm not really looking for a head, but more of a compact/practice type a la the Vox Valvetronix. Also looked at the AVT's, but I think I'm going to try something other than Marshall.

Good call on the pawn shops, nick. I've been thinking about scouting those out.

PEACE!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rythameen said:
I've got a Peavey Classic 20, and love it. Also you might want to take a look at the Roland Cube 30 or even the new Cube 60.
I have the Cube, It works wonders. Sounds par on Marshall, even though it is Solidstate.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
metalnick said:
What kind of idiot would sell their tube amps??? :icon_nono
Well let's see....there's me for one, and many many many other Vetta owners. Tube amps are great (and for the most part sound better than solid state amps).....but Vetta's are better for my current needs....go try one and see for yourself. I have personally owned and played loads of tube amps.....so I believe I am qualified to speak on the subject.

If I thought there was a tube amp that I would like better than my Vetta...I would buy it....money (or lack there of) is not the issue in this case.

·
Registered
500 Posts
sorry. :icon_redf I thought that you meant you were being a dum*ss. I have not tried the Vetta, but I really like my 5150 and hate tuning down to D or lower. I'll only go down to Eb, and that's it. The 5150 works extremely well for the kind of stuff I do (Hard-Rock-Wylde-Metallica-stuff).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hec said:
Awesome advice, everybody. Thank you!

I'm not really looking for a head, but more of a compact/practice type a la the Vox Valvetronix. Also looked at the AVT's, but I think I'm going to try something other than Marshall.

Good call on the pawn shops, nick. I've been thinking about scouting those out.

PEACE!!
What about the valvetronix then?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have only played the VOX stuff in stores....it's not for me personally becasue it has more of a ZZ Top type vintage blues tone (which you may like) and I tend to want more gain and modern sounding stuff.

I had an AVT at one time and I liked it, but always used a distortion pedal of some type to get the tone I wanted...I sold it and got something else. I tend to change out my stuff all the time...just to try new things.

I can't offer any advice on any combos as I moved away from them long ago...however I will say I have spent (and still spend) time stopping by Pawn shops and to this day I have never found anything that I would remotely say even comes close to a good deal in any one of them.

E-bay, on-line stores, or clearance sales at GC are going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
metalnick said:
sorry. :icon_redf I thought that you meant you were being a dum*ss. I have not tried the Vetta, but I really like my 5150 and hate tuning down to D or lower. I'll only go down to Eb, and that's it. The 5150 works extremely well for the kind of stuff I do (Hard-Rock-Wylde-Metallica-stuff).
Don't get me wrong Metal....I'm a huge fan of a 5150 amp. I had mine modded to allow the bias cranked up to over 50ma...and put all new JJ's hand selected from eurotubes in it. Then I had about every effects pedal known to man hooked up to it (some if front and others in the loop).......it sounded awesome at any volume level....I even had a power brake on it at one time to get the power tubes to saturate. Sometimes I would even pull out 2 power tubes and run it at half power.....which would give a great tone, but much less low end......so after awhile I would just put it back to full power.

I hear a lot of discussion around here about power this and power that.....Hell my 300Watt Vetta has a switch right on the front so I can run it in half power......but I leave it on "Full power" becasue it just does not sound as punchy and won't shake the windows as well. My neighbors deserve only the best.:icon_thum

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
grant said:
I have the Cube, It works wonders. Sounds par on Marshall, even though it is Solidstate.
I thought the cubes were tube ? .. if not wow .. i've played a few of these for jazz/blues stuff and they sound just awesome nice and warm and nice ...

also i can highly reccomend the peavey classic 30 whoever reccomended that before .. just another great amp for clean/slightly dirty blues kinda sound ..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Stiglar said:
I thought the cubes were tube ? .. if not wow .. i've played a few of these for jazz/blues stuff and they sound just awesome nice and warm and nice ...

also i can highly reccomend the peavey classic 30 whoever reccomended that before .. just another great amp for clean/slightly dirty blues kinda sound ..
Yeah I also thought the Cube 30 was tube. I just looked at my newest Musicians friend and it said nothing about tube power on it:scratch:. I cant get enough of that Classic 30 though...I might end up buying one of them someday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts