Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this gem when backing up some old tapes to my HD.

AIIZ were from Manchester and part of the NWBHM scene. They signed to Polydor, released one album and a couple of singles and disappeared! You can get their entire output on one CD now! I had it all on vinyl a lot of it coloured and admit to occasionally listening to it.
5 tracks (the titles will mean little to anybody but fans).

http://rapidshare.com/files/118648434/AIIZ_BBC_In_Concert_1981.rar

This is "classic" Girlschool from the Hit and Run tour, April 1981 but not sure of the Venue, although the BBC didn't stray far from London in those days!
1. Demolition Boys
2. Tush
3. Midnight Ride
4. Breakdown
5. Take it all the Way
6. The Hunter
7. Nothing to Lose
8. Race with the Devil
9. Emergency

http://rapidshare.com/files/118674148/Girlschool_BBC_In_Concert_1981.rar.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
A II Z is thé undiscovered NWOBHM gem!

Came across this gem when backing up some old tapes to my HD.

AIIZ were from Manchester and part of the NWBHM scene. They signed to Polydor, released one album and a couple of singles and disappeared! You can get their entire output on one CD now! I had it all on vinyl a lot of it coloured and admit to occasionally listening to it.
5 tracks (the titles will mean little to anybody but fans).

http://rapidshare.com/files/118648434/AIIZ_BBC_In_Concert_1981.rar
Thanx for your email! :77:

I'm a great fan of NWOBHM and was fond of AIIZ. I remember hearing "Walking the distance" on the radio from their lp "The witch of Berkeley" back in early eighties. What a original drumming style! :rimshot:

I've put a wanted here and you must have found it. I only found one trader who had this, but he didn't react. I'm searching this for ages:

"A II Z BBC In Concert, 1980, cass, Off air
(unknown) / RIP / Walking the Distance / UXB / The Witch of Berkeley".

This session is historical; it should have been on the Majestic Rock release along with their lp and singles. This is of good quality and has 2 unreleased gems: "SOS" and "Rest in Peace (RIP)".

You've made my day.
Do you have more NWOBHM treasures?

Although, it's not British, I'm still searching for the first demo of Silver Mountain.

:clap: :yourock2:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Simon Wright

A-II-Z picked up Simon Wright & Tony Backhouse (bass) in 1981. Wright has gone on to play with AC/DC, UFO & Dio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Venue is the Paris Theater, London... an old, tiny cinema owned by the BBC and converted into a recording studio... I think it held about 100 people for these In Concert shows. Whenever you see a "shared" bill (ie: two bands) for a BBC Radio One In Concert show, it was almost always recorded at the Paris Theater.

Other In Concert shows were recorded on location at places like Hammersmith Odeon, but those shows were always featuring just the one act.
Yes, I remember many "In Concert" being recorded there during the '80's but they always made refrence to it in the intro. This one doesn't and the AIIZ fan site gives the following list of dates played with Girlschool:

Hit & Run Support Tour Dates:
April 11 Mon: Cardiff - Sophia Gardens Pavilion
April 12 Tue: Coventry - Theatre
April 14 Thu: Canterbury - Odeon
April 14 Thu: Sheffield - Top Rank???
April 15 Fri: West Runton - Pavilion
April 16 Sat: Chelmsford - Odeon
April 17 Sun: Portsmouth - Guild Hall
April 19 Tue: Woolwich - Odeon
April 21 Thu: Oxford - New Theatre
April 22 Fri: Bath - Pavilion
April 23 Sat: St Austell - The Coliseum
April 24 Sun: Torquay - Town Hall
April 25 Mon: Taunton - Odeon
April 27 Wed: Bradford - St Georges Hall
April 28 Thu: Sheffield - City Hall
April 29 Fri: Hanley - Victoria Hall
April 30 Sat: Hemel Hempstead - Pavilion
April 31 Sun: Ipswich - Gaumont

Although it probably isn't regarded as an official gig, 20-30 mins to a select audience.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm fairly sure that AIIZ played support for Sabbath on the Heaven & Hell tour I saw them in Southampton in Jan 1981 - the first time I saw RJD !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for this. Will have a listen and then throw my pennies in for where it came from. Most likely from Tommy Vance show on friday night rather than the saturday evening 1 hour in concert show, although they did do the occasional hour split between 2 bands, taped a lot of them but alas most have gone now.

Looking forward to blasting it out again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts