Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Based on the sample, how would you rate the Cyber Twins tone?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always been a hard core tube guy, and have been playing exclusively on Marshalls ever since I have been able to afford them. There is just that special "something" about that tube based Marshall tone......

However, I have had two very good experiences with non-tube amps.

One is a Fender Power Chorus, which is a transistorized dual channel stereo amp with a built in chorus effect. The dirty channel on this amp is OK at best - good enough for jamming or practicing, but not good enough for the Studio or live performances. The clean channel on the other hand, is quite amazing if you are after a pristinely clear clean channel sound. The chorus effect in this amp is also awesome - I wish I could take the chorus effect out of it and build it into an effects system.

The other digital amp that I have been very impressed with is the new Fender Cyber Twin SE. This amp features a tube pre-amp with two 12ax7's that feed a transistorized power amp with digital effects. Fender says that it is not a modeling amp, because the Cyber Twin virtually re-creates the circuitry of the manty types of amps that it emulates.
IMHO it does a FANTASTIC job! The tones are authentic to the types of amp being simulated in most circumstances - especially the other Fender amps like the Twin Reverbs etc. The dirty channel is awesome - even after years of playing true tube amps, I am not at all disappointed with the sound of this amp. I highly recommend it!!

I have just purchased the amp and have not done a lot with it yet, but I did do a quick recording of a backing track to Smokin, by Boston. I used the built in preset called "Tokin'" amd tweaked it a bit. The guitar I used was my Fender USA Strat (1990). The backing track including yours truly on rhythm guitars is attached for your enjoyment.

Have a listen, and then vote in the poll above! :)

Lata!

Rob

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweeps said:
Sound really good!!!!!!!!!! It that a marshall preset and did you have chorus or any other effect on it? Your playing was nice and tight. The drums got alittle weird at times but you sounded great.:icon_thum
Thanks! Glad you liked it. The setting I used was called Tokin', and I got the setting off of a Cyber Twin forum somewhere... I recorded the rhythm part twice, once for each channel. (L&R). I Tweaked the treble a bit on the setting because it was too scratchy sounding as it was, and added just a pinch more mid.

When I look at the properties for that preset, here is what I see:

Tone Stack: British (ie Marshall)
Stack Location: Pre-distortion
Circuitry: HMB Tube 3 (I don't know what HMB stands for)
Reverb: Arena
Timbre: Full Body
Speaker Polarity: Standard
Compression: High
Noise Gate: 8.8
Noise Gate Threshold: High
Gain: 9
Volume: 4.9
Treble: 4
Middle: 5.7
Bass: 5.5
Presence: 5
Reverb: 3
Effect: Triangle Chorus
The chorus sweep was set very slow, the intensity medium-ish. Basicly, the chorus is almost imperceptible - but adds a nice touch.

Yeah - the drums do get a bit wacky sometimes - I don't know who programmed the backing track - I got it off the forum here I think. Over all though they did a pretty good job.

Thanks for replying!

Rob

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I played through a friends Cyber Twin and was amazed. I have a few vintage tube amps, but the Cyber Twin did open my eyes to a different opinion about modeling amps. I loved it!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3fingers said:
I played through a friends Cyber Twin and was amazed. I have a few vintage tube amps, but the Cyber Twin did open my eyes to a different opinion about modeling amps. I loved it!!
Hey 3fingers - I was looking at your list of tunes, and decided to listen to the one called "fender tone". You did a great job on that! Do you still have that backing track? I would like to mess around with that one a bit myself!

Lata dood!

rj

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the first version of the Cyber Twin and I love it. I have a 70's era super reverb and did a side by side sound comparison and could not tell the difference. The amp is great for live shows as well, you have so many tones at your fingertips!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hiyaka said:
I have the first version of the Cyber Twin and I love it. I have a 70's era super reverb and did a side by side sound comparison and could not tell the difference. The amp is great for live shows as well, you have so many tones at your fingertips!!
From what I have read, I guess one of the more important improvements that has been made on the new CT is that they made the channel switching near instantaneous. Did you notice that youR version has a large delay when switching?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not really, it switches with no noticable delay. I have been using it live for around two years now and have had no problems. I still use a tube screamer with the amp to give me a little extra boost on some of my leads. I see on the new Cyber Twin this feature has been added.

:jam:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hiyaka said:
Not really, it switches with no noticable delay. I have been using it live for around two years now and have had no problems. I still use a tube screamer with the amp to give me a little extra boost on some of my leads. I see on the new Cyber Twin this feature has been added.

Did you purchase the Cyber Foot COntroller to go with your amp? I did, and now I am trying to figure out how to organize all of the different tones. After a bit of thought I decided that I would make the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 buttons distortion tones, and the 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 buttons clean tones. How do you organize all of those sounds???

Rj

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I am still debating over buying a Cyber series amp or a Deville 2x12. I just cannot make up my mind because I get off on playing both. I already have the XT for modelling so I tell myself it's overkill to go Cyber. I dunno...I will have to take up residency at the local guitar shop a while longer :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stingx said:
I am still debating over buying a Cyber series amp or a Deville 2x12. I just cannot make up my mind because I get off on playing both. I already have the XT for modelling so I tell myself it's overkill to go Cyber. I dunno...I will have to take up residency at the local guitar shop a while longer :)
The Cyber Twin has a couple of Deville presets, and there are also some Deville presets that you can get at patchwizard.com. I would suggest that you get the patches from patchwizard.com and take them with you to the store. Program them in, and see what you think of that verses the real thing. You may decide that the CT sounds just like one. I am not sure how a Deville sounds - I have never played through one..... However, the HRD preset is one of my faves on the CT.

Later!

Rj

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
RJ, The backing is on my website. Only 2 of them there, as I don't keep many on my site. www.powerserg.com/Backing Enjoy it. :jam:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
hey Hiyaka! Good to see you again. That was your Cybertwin I was talking about in this thread!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stratquebec said:
hi!
Have you recorded Tie Your MotherDown with the SE too. If not what was your setup for this one??

Thanks!
Hello stratquebec! Yes, I recorded Tie Your Mother Down using the Cyber Twin SE. I made my own tone patch for that one. If you would like I could post the setting for that patch. Just let me know!

Rj

G

·
Wow It really sounds incredible. I use a Cyber-Deluxe and soon a vox AD30VT and if God is good for me ! a cyber-twin SE too. So YES!!! Post that patch please! Also there's a new thread on the FDP about the SE in case you don't know yet: http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=468238&lastpost=2005-02-1310:09:47. If you don't mind, I'll share that patch on the FDP too. It's as you like.

BTW, your playing is absolutly great! Are you the singer too? If yes, Wow again!!!you're really a great musician!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ctse

Hi, it sounds like you really like the CTSE. I have also tried this amp and it IS amazing. I have also played the Fender Power Chorus! This amp is really nice for a solid state amp too. The chorus is well,..lush and the clean channel is very fender! After trying the CTSE,.. I also tried an old Johnson Millennium 150 2X12 combo. I found that the Johnson sounded better than the CTSE all around. The distortion and clean tones are awesome. So,..I purchased the Johnson instead and I'm very happy with it. It is a tad heavy like the Fender Twin reverbs are,..but it's well worth the carry in the club and pluggin this baby in. I also purchased the 2X12 Johnson extension cab that matches the amp. Just a wall of sound. They do not make them any more but Digitech services them if it's ever needed. If you ever have the chance to pick one up!!,.. Do it!! You won't regret it.

Keep on jammin.......

Bulletman :scif890:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stratquebec said:
Wow It really sounds incredible. I use a Cyber-Deluxe and soon a vox AD30VT and if God is good for me ! a cyber-twin SE too. So YES!!! Post that patch please! Also there's a new thread on the FDP about the SE in case you don't know yet: http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=468238&lastpost=2005-02-1310:09:47. If you don't mind, I'll share that patch on the FDP too. It's as you like.

BTW, your playing is absolutly great! Are you the singer too? If yes, Wow again!!!you're really a great musician!
Here are the settings for that patch as requested:
Name = Queen Tone
Tone Stack Type = Tweed
Tone Stack Loc = Pre-distortion
Drive Circuiry = Tweed Tube 3
Reverb Type = Large Plate
Reverb Input = 8.0
Reverb Tone = 9.5
Reverb Time = 2.9
Reverb Diffusion = 5.9
Timbre = Full Body
Line / Spkr Phase = Standard Polarity
Compressor = Low
Noise Gate Depth = 5.5
Noise Gate Thresh = Low
Expression Pedal = Volume
Cont Controller = Gain
Reverb / FX Bypass = Reverb Input Only
Effects = None

Gald you enjoyed the playing, however I did not do the singing. (I couldnt sing my way out of a wet paper bag ghehehehe) Feel free to share the patch with other sites.

Have a great day!
Rj

G

·
RE: Cyber Twin SE

Hello ... :icon_cool

Just had to jump in here

Being a new member here you don't know me. But I just bought a Cyber Twin SE to add to my arsenal.

My feelings about the SE is it sounds great. If anyone is even remotely interested in any modeling type amp, they should try one of these. I don't see how anybody could be disappointed. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts