Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allan Holdsworth \"Fred\" by Strat78

I remember back in February 1978 I played Eruption for my guitar teacher. His only response was: "Oh, I'll bet Van Halen has been listening to this": He played this tune called "Fred" by Allen Holdsworth (given later interviews of Ed, my teacher was right).

It took me 25 years to get around to actually learning the song, but here it is. Since there are no backing tracks for this tune much less anybody actually knowing this song, I had to do everything myself. I'm kinda excited about the bass sound and the fact that my old Roland drum machine still works.

My fucked up hand started cramping up at the end of the solo, but I feel it is somewhat passable.

Even though this is a very obscure tune I hope you all enjoy it for I feel it was a very important leap in "rock guitar" playing at the time (the original was recorded in 1975!).

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Re: Allan Holdsworth \"Fred\" by Strat78

Man this was great Strat!!!!
Loved everybit of it!!
Great sound too.
Your backing was great.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts

first off . .wow . .that backing is great .. and you really captured holdsworth with the clean rhythm ..

as for the guitar playing wow is the only word for it you totally nailed it .. i love allans playing and i thought you really captured the feel of his playing .. you can see he was a huge influence on eddie ...

speechless i am !

·
Registered
292 Posts

Strat, this is a fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!

Allan Holdsworth is one of my favourite players and you totally do him justice.
Your solo in this one is phenomenal.......... you've got his legato thing and whammy bar slurs happening...........Awesome

I've never heard anyone cover Holdsworth before, great achievement

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

Wow! That's the first time I even heard a Holdsworth tune. Definitely putting this guy on my list to check out! Amazing job Strat78

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts

thanks for the education..had no idea...i knew of Alan but never really heard him but if its anything like what you did hear....hes fu**in amazing and you did i superfantastic job on this...Excellent!!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

i went to see alan a few yrs back up at newcastle the drummer out of level 42 was playing with him what a fantastic night i was hooked straight away great post loved it

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks everybody! I worked really hard on this one.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts

I'm ashamed as a fellow Brit to say I haven't given a lot of time to this guy, except to note that Alan Murphy (Go West, Level 42) was a huge fan and you could hear it in his playing. This is awesome stuff...I'd be lost as to where to start. Great job strat!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Wahwah!!!! Allan is a great player still, but I only really like his early stuff when he had more of a rock feel. I think his best work was done on an album called "One of a Kind" with Bill Bruford. Check out the solo and the end of the song "Five-G", it's eerie and beautiful.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts

This was a beautiful peice indeed Strat!...Really enjoyed this one...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

This was awesome!!!!!!!
Kickass job on it strat!!!

·
Registered
4,532 Posts

Damn bro!!!!!!! Most impressive!!! You absolutely nailed his style!!!!
Don't know this song...but I recognize that signature sound!!. Back in the late '70's our band used to cover "In The Dead Of Night" by UK. I tried to play pretty much note for note every song we played...except that one!!!
This was amazing playing here bro!!!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[ QUOTE ]
sgstd said:
Back in the late '70's our band used to cover "In The Dead Of Night" by UK. I tried to play pretty much note for note every song we played...except that one!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks sgstd! Yeah we did that song too, but I always butchered the solo! It's not till recently that I've actually really tried to understand Holdsworth's playing and I still haven't a clue.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I beg your pardon, but that should be Mr. Dick?

Thanks Mr. Crumb, I really worked hard on this , and that was best acknowledgment so far!

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts

Strat78....you have unleashed the focking fury!!!!
This was one of the most amazing posts I have ever heard...!!! Outstanding!!! Where have you been hiding man!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks 3fingers! That means allot to me! I would invite you to do the vocal, but this tune does not have any, well not yet!
I really dig the bass sound of this clip. If anyone is curious, I ran my old Fender precision bass through the PODxt using the "Jazz Clean" setting with the presence, treb, mid cut way back. I also had the Drive cut back just until a little puff could be heard. To my ears the bass has a Rickenbacker tone to it. I am going to redo the solo this week, because I had several drinks before recording it and by the end of the solo I was hanging on by my fingernails.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts

Yep...every now and then a good couple of drinks for that extra 2 %....hahahaha!!!! I would pack my stuff to jam with you on circuit!!!

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts

wow-that was incredible!! Killa. Extremely inpressive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.