Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YouTube Link: "Dreams" - From the Allman Brothers Band "Vol. 1 DVD - Duane & Berry" video 9-23-70 Fillmore East - New York City, NY.

This footage has a notorious problem with Gregg Allman's (and maybe other band members') vocals level being very low---almost non-existent. I have never found a definitive explanation of why this occurred. It has been speculated that it was a mike, or soundboard, or something in a transfer step, or ?

But given that it is this way: If you start with the extracted audio file (say, .wav or .mp3 - don't believe it exists as .flac) could parametric equalization (P EQ) software (such as PEQ Pro or Audition/Soundbooth) be used effectively and acceptably to boost the vocals level? Or is this particular audio file hopelessly, inherently flawed and does not contain the energy frequencies/amplitudes necessary to work with? [i.e., "you can't make gold from shit"] I played around with it a little myself but quickly learned after some study that P EQ is not for amateur beginners.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts