Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

alone/heart/scott parnell/Linda

Tags
ann wilson
3K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Scott Parnell 
#1 ·
i was in chat last night and Scott asked me if i could do this song i replied no.... but i had a go for him thats what this forum is about friendship and enjoying yourself.... it was very hard to do esp the corus as you know the lady that sings this song has a big fat megga vox which i dont lol... anyway i had a go... thanks Scott for asking me mate you did great job on the backing :thumb:

#2 ·
linda said:
i was in chat last night and Scott asked me if i could do this song i replied no.... but i had a go for him thats what this forum is about friendship and enjoying yourself.... it was very hard to do esp the corus as you know the lady that sings this song has a big fat megga vox which i dont lol... anyway i had a go... thanks Scott for asking me mate you did great job on the backing :thumb:
Well Linda, you may not consider yourself to have "big fat megga vox", but you got some nice pipes lady..............very nice cover, I for one really enjoyed this one.

#3 ·
I have to say I was never a fan of the original all that much. I think when it came out I might have been in high-school or jr. high... that chorus (the way she sang it) sounded way to much like my mother yelling at me. I really prefer what you did here. Your approach is a bit more soathing and it's softness makes it work very well. I like the backup vox somewhere towards the back end... sounded good together. The whole thing sounded really great.

#5 ·
wigrocks said:
... that chorus (the way she sang it) sounded way to much like my mother yelling at me.
:lol: Oh, you're killing me over here. That was funny!
wigrocks said:
... I really prefer what you did here. Your approach is a bit more soathing and it's softness makes it work very well. I like the backup vox somewhere towards the back end...
I agree there. It is more soothing and feels more appropriate for the lyrical content than how Ann Wilson did it.
linda said:
...as you know the lady that sings this song has a big fat megga vox which i dont lol...
I was waiting for you to say something different after "...has a big fat megga..." :lol: But yes, she also has a big fat megga....voice...as well.

I agree about the backer being good. Sounds pretty authentic to the original and I liked the lead tone/playing. Nice job there, Scott. :thumb:

#6 ·
kc_artist_rocker said:
:lol: Oh, you're killing me over here. That was funny!
I agree there. It is more soothing and feels more appropriate for the lyrical content than how Ann Wilson did it.
I was waiting for you to say something different after "...has a big fat megga..." :lol: But yes, she also has a big fat megga....voice...as well.

I agree about the backer being good. Sounds pretty authentic to the original and I liked the lead tone/playing. Nice job there, Scott. :thumb:
From 3 blocks away, playing ball, Mom might actually have been in key too :dunno:

I like the way you explained the appropriateness with regard to the lyrical content. Not liking the song all that much originally.. as I listen back to the words as delivered by Linda, seems like it gained a lot by the sweeter approach.

Good job again guys!! :thumb:

#8 ·
Linda, that was great. I don't think that it's out of your range; in fact I think it helps show off the rasp of your pipes! You know, you guys should think about doing some CSNY, or maybe just Crosby-Stills. And you sing the Stills part. Like maybe, I dunno, "Long Time Gone," or "Wind on the Water" or "Woodstock." or any of the others like that. Know the type I mean?

Anyway, great cover. I wish I had a voice like that!:thumb:

#9 ·
Well Linda,, I think you did a great job here ! I love how you made this your own with the vocals. I know how this can be hard to sing. Heck,, it was hard for me to get the solo down smooth. I'm glad your a part of this,, and like you said,, that's what freindships are all about . I don't care if ya can sing like the original. what you did,, I even like it better in my opinion that how ann or nancy wilson sing it. Thankyou again for wanting to colab with me on this. I always love your vocals ,, as well as many of my other friends on here that I have known for quite some time. Doin' collabs with my friends on here is what it's all about. Great job !:icon_thum

#10 ·
Really,Really nice take on this Scott & Linda..... I thought it was great. Linda, don't down on yourself girl, range shmange, I thought you did awesome. And Scott, great playing, nice and smooth. Again, fantastic!( kc, I was thinking the same thingas I was reading LOL....)

#11 ·
Pretty darn good on both fronts......one of the hardest songs to sing like the original out there.....Ann Wilson has one hell of a set of pipes....and the vocal harmonies between those 2 sisters is texbook stuff......it just does not get any better.

You should get the DVD "Alive in Seattle" and watch them do the acoustic version of this one..........simply brilliant!

#15 ·
This was great, awesome job you two!! :thumb: :thumb:

#16 ·
VHfanOU812 said:
Pretty darn good on both fronts......one of the hardest songs to sing like the original out there.....Ann Wilson has one hell of a set of pipes....and the vocal harmonies between those 2 sisters is texbook stuff......it just does not get any better.

You should get the DVD "Alive in Seattle" and watch them do the acoustic version of this one..........simply brilliant!
I have this dvd bro! I was thinking on how brilliant that they did this in that video with just the guitar and vocals alone. That's what inspired me to do this cover to be quite honest with ya. thanks for listening vh. much appreciate it.:icon_thum

#22 ·
Linda ..this is your best vocal performance to date!..you did a fantastic version of a really hard ball breaking vocal song!...chorus is excellent..well done...Mac

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

#23 ·
:icon_redf My mate Linda posts a collab song and I missed it :)

Linda it is good effort. I think you did really well at a very hard song. Respect. Scott - the backing is great mate, nice solo too :thumb:

#25 ·
Good job on this one - I liked it a lot! The only thing I would change would be to bring the vocals "out front" a bit more, but all in all a great effort! Keep up the jamz!

Rj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.