Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When micing an amp, what effect on sound does the placement of the mic in relation to the speaker have? For example...placing the mic towards the outside of the speaker as opposed to right in the middle. Help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
You're going to get your brightest most aggressive sound by micing "on axis" close to the speaker but not dead center, try it at about where the dust cone meets the speaker, as you move the mic towards the edge of the speaker, you are going "off axis". This is going to give you a thicker darker sound. How close you are to the speaker will also affect how much bass you get (proximity effect).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What Rhythameen says is correct. You might want to try an experiment in order to find out what placement works best for you / your equipment.

1) Start with your mic pointed at a 90 degree angle to the face of your amp and place it at the edge of the cone. Record a sample and then move the mic over a bit (towards the center of the cone) and repeat untill your mic is in the center of the cone.

2) Repeate the above procedure, but this time angle the mic so that it is at the same angle as the wall of the cone, and then gradually move towards the center as you record samples.

Now listen to all of the different samples you have recorded and see which one(s) you like.

Rj

·
Registered
104 Posts
These guys said it. It really depends on what type of sound you prefer. Dead centre will give you a very bright sound, and the more off the centre you go, the more bass you get (same thing with distance from the grill). Also, it's good to keep your amp elevated, like stacked up on some books. This allows the sound to travel farther, and not hit the floor. If you are using an ambedience mic, then it's important to keep your amp elevated. For me it gives me more of a "live" sound. Anyway I find it easier to mic a speaker cabinet rather than a combo amp. Just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts