Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here, but I recently sold my Peavey Classic 50 and am currently seeking a higher gain combo...preferably all tube. I'd like something like a 1x12, 2x12, or 2x10...I don't really want a 1x10. In order to get the kind of gain I'm looking for, I'm almost sure I'm going to have to get something with EL34's, but I'm open minded if anyone has suggestions. I don't mind buying used at all....in fact, I would prefer it....better deals. Anyways, the price range needs to be $500-$600....if all goes well, I might be able to swing $800, but I'd prefer to keep it down a bit. Some of the current amps I've considered are as follows:

Soldano Astroverb
Koch Twintone
Laney LC30
Crate V50
Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket

I know they're not all EL34 amps....but that's all I've came up with so far.

My current axe is a Brian Moore i9 with a SD JB in the bridge, SD Alnico II Pro single in the middle, and an Alnico II Pro humbucker in the neck...both of the humbuckers are tapped via push/pull volume and tone pots. The Moore is currently listed in the Buy & Sell forum for anyone interested. I'm looking into maybe getting a Carvin DC127 or possibly a Gibson Explorer (had one, loved it, sold it due to financial situation, regret it now).

My style of music ranges from blues to power metal. Some of the current bands I'm listening to are:

In Flames
Opeth
Nickelback
3 Doors Down
Jag Panzer
Satyricon
Children of Bodom
Blind Guardian
Sonata Arctica
Mudvayne

I also enjoy classic rock, so it's important that I'm able to pull off a classic rock/blues sound as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. Merry Christmas everyone!

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Marshall JCM 800 Combo and a tube screamer if you really want tubes. Otherwise, like some may inevidebly suggest (and myself included), I actually would go with a Line 6 modeler (like the Spider II series). All the tones you could want, affordable brand new, with no retubing ever required. I have tubes and I love em, but the difference is not what it used to be. My thoughts. Good luck with the research!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I've played a few Line 6 amps...the only ones that impressed me were the Vettas. The others just seem too harsh to me. If I was gonna go with a modeler, I'd probably try one of the Vox Valvetronix amps. For the kind of output I need, I really need something with a lot of headroom. After thinking about it today, I might just suck it up and go with a half stack or a rack unit...I'm pretty sure I can get a 5150II head for around $550 used and then save a little more and get a decent cab. I know I'll have to deal with the clean channel, but I've heard a few people say they got a desireable sound from their's.

I shopped around today...didn't find anything worth buying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd def say Marshall. You might be able to get a Half-Stack for that price. if you dont wanna spend much and want something really good, i'd go with a Line 6 Spider Amp. Those kick MAJOR Ass!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on looking at a used Mesa Rect-O-Verb in the next couple of days....local shop has one. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I know that this amp is outside your price range, (About $1200) but I just got one, and DAMN is it awesome! It's the new Fender Cyber Twin SE. It does everything from Glasssy clean Jazz tones to head thrashing death metal.

It's not a purely tube amp, since it has a solid state power amp section, but the tones this thing gets are absolutely amazing - and this is coming from a guy who has been playing on a Marshall JCM 800 2210 half stack for the last 12 years!

Just my .02!

Rj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I wish you would have posted a couple days ago...I went amp shopping on the 26th and one of the shops kept pushing a Cyber Twin on me...I didn't even try it out. I guess I just dismissed it because I already have one of the little SS Fender Champ 30's. I haven't been pleased with a lot of the Fender gear I've owned in the past, but I would have surely tried it out since someone that isn't making money off of it recommended it, lol.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So which amp did you get then?

rj

·
Registered
500 Posts
Woah!!!!

:doh: Try the PV 5150 combo. I have the head and it can handle anything, with a little tweaking. :bannana_g

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was actually hoping I could find a 5150...although I was kinda worried about the clean channel. I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo 6212 (60 all-tube watts through 2 12" american vintage celestions) off of ebay a couple days ago for $302.85 shipped. I've never played the 2x12 model, but I've messed around with the 1x12 a little bit. The clean channel is awesome and the OD equally as nice. Even if I turn out not to like it, I can always make my money back since I got it so cheap. I'll let you guys know what it's like when it gets here...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cool...

yeah after hearing good things about them, I tried one of the BV150 Heads, and didn't really care for it, but I got lucky and found my 5150. I am blessed with seemingly impossible luck sometimes. Kudos on your finding what you wanted. Kinda. Sorta. I dunno.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The combos actually differ from the heads a bit. The heads had some reliability issues. Not sure if I'll be happy with this one or not...I'll just trial and error 'til I get the sound I want. If nothing else, I can always sell it off and make my money back...shouldn't be hard to get $300 for an amp that sold for $900 new. Did I mention he's throwing in an extra set of Groove Tubes? :yumyum:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts