Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went July of 2000 at the Fleet Pavillion in Boston MA. I saw Joe with Vai and Petrucci. INCREDIBLE show. Vai had a few glitches/technical difficulties in his set but otherwise just an awesome experience. I hope they get another tour going soon that comes my way again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was going to go with a friend but decided not too. They don't really interest me anyways, though I would like to see the skiny Malmsteen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EddieMan2003 said:
I was going to go with a friend but decided not too. They don't really interest me anyways, though I would like to see the skiny Malmsteen.
WOW!!! He's supposed to be skinny now?!?!?! :icon_thum

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was at the G3: Live in Denver show...Pretty dang cool...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I posted this about a year ago under a thread I called "Worst Concert Experience Ever" and I thought I'd repost since my worst concert of all time happened to be a G3 show in Dallas Texas

This would be the first version of G3 with Eric Johnson sammiched between Vai and Satch. As an aside, a very young Kenny Wayne Sheppard opened, but I digress. It was sometime in the summer - I don't remember the exact date but it was BLAZING HOT. Along with a buddy, we get there early as it's a general admission show. As we pull up to the "arena", we discover it's really a tin shack, complete with a stench that would kill a mule. So, here we are, sun blazing down on us, waiting outside until they opened the doors.

We probably only stood out there for an hour but it seemed like days. When we finally did get in, I noticed that the surrounding air inside was not appreciably cooler that the surface of the sun. While there was "air conditioning", it was quite ineffective as it was one unit, hanging from the tin roof, howling as it was blowing lukewarm air. No big deal, I've been to hot concerts before - this will be no problemo! WRONG! I didn't factor in the following:

1. Festival Seating - I was crushed against several other people as we were all having our own little "sweat contest"
2. Drip, Drip, Drip - Unfortunately, your hero(that would be me) was standing directly underneath the air conditioner unit and it was driping warm water on me the entire show.
3. A shockingly uninspired Eric Johnson - I had seen Satriani several times but I was really there to see EJ. Much to my chagrin, he put on a very workmanlike performance that was the exact opposite of the high energy Vai and Satch were throwing down.

Vai was good, but the dismal showing of EJ killed the show. Satch didn't do anything different from when I had seen him before.

I'm sure that EJ's performance was due to the poor fit of his style with Vai and Satch, but it killed the night. So, in short, I was out $40.00, had watched my skin melt, had a piss-warm shower dripping on me all night, and seen a pretty average show.:wutblau:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the G3 lineup with Eric johnson if probably my least favorite. I would have liked to have seen them with Michael Schenker and the guest/surprise appearance by Uli Jon Roth. Schenker ROCKS!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Actually, I liked the idea of the lineup with Johnson. The execution was a disaster however - Johnson's style just doesn't mesh well with Satch or Vai.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was at the '04 concert in manchester.. Robert Fripp was a disaster :wtf: but joe and steve rocked as always! :rock: definatley want to goto the next one!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went to the G3 concert in Portland, OR in October of '03. I like Satch and Vai equally, so it was awesome to see them both. Didn't care much for Yngwie though. I really want to see Satch and Vai on their own doing a full set.:bannana_g

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've only seen the one that they did with Petrucci.

I've checked out the dvd's for the Eric Johnson and Yngwie ones, and think that I saw the best of the line-ups of those 3...

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I saw Joe, Vai and PEtrucci with my wife. She even enjoyed it! :eek:

It was an amazing experience.
Satch is always equally good. I've seen him three times now. He's very reliable. On the other hand, I find him to lack charisma.

Vai more than makes up for charisma and is always an incredible treat to watch and listen. He's a real entertainer and a truly amazing musician.

John Petrucci was awesome. His sound was grandiose and his technique flawless. I wish he was a little more animated too. But he's really, really good.

At the end, we had a surprise visit from Paul Gilbert, and Steve Lukather. The cherry on top of the cake!

What a night this was... :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts