Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:rant: Yeah, i need to know if there's any more to a guitar string besides the nickel outside and the steel core (such as some greases and other types of lubricants). can anyone help?:( also, anyone know of any good methods to prevent string breakage with lubricants $10.00+ or with use of a locking trem.?
right now i put some pencil shavings (the lead part) into the slots at the nut, and i try to keep the saddles clean. help?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Wash your hands with warm water and soap then dry before ever picking up your guitar. Even when I used to gig I would go in the bathroom about 5 minutes before game time and wash my hands.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
Even when I used to gig I would go in the bathroom about 5 minutes before game time and wash my hands.
i thought that was because of a different reason :lol:

i must say though i've been having problems with this .. i break strings weekly .. and i thought it was my guitar not setup properly (Which i suspect maybe true) but the people at the guitar shop after looking at my guitar said it was setup fine and said my hands are corroding the strings and to get used to it lol

i guess i'll have to start washing my hands before playing

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey Stig . I had the same problems for years. I just adapted to it. I replace strings on my "everyday" players about twice a week. I buy strings in bulk to offset the cost. In a normal month I will go through 12 sets of strings.
Try a string with a higher nickel than steel content. Nickel doesnt corrode as easily.
EB's are really high steel. as are boomers. Try d'addarios or even Labella's if you can find them.

VGB

·
jazzy rock boy
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, and sweeps, breaks wherever i pick. i notice my style is too agressive, correcting that (loose fingers):bannana_g

1 - 8 of 8 Posts