Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you like to play outside? i like to as much as i can when theirs nice days. i usually play acoustic guitar down at the beach gazeebo or go to the local park. since theirs outlets at both places ill sometimes bring a stereo(i dont have a small amp) and play through that with a 1/8 inch chord.

i know another guitarist and a conga player and we played at the beach 2 weekends ago when it was warm around here. me and my guitarist friend played through his acoustic marshall amp, and the congas were loud enough.. we actually had a fair amount of people circulating and listening to the jams.

on another note we thought about getting a drummer down at the beach... but i dont think that would fly lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've only played an acoustic outside, mainly sitting on the back patio. Me and some friends always thought it would be funny to go out to his cabin at the lake and set up his drums and my guitar and just shred for a little bit. If nothing just to break the silence! :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a cool idea.. i always get a good vibe outta nature

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I live in Washington...I never go outside.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nroberts said:
its winter most of the time where i live.. i know how that is

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I used to do this quite a lot a while back when I was commuting between one place and another on the train before I learned to drive.

Nothing worse than being sat on a cold station with a 45 minute wait. So I'd kill the time by restringing my 12 string guitar and then trying to tune the bastard up.

Was good for me, for under pressure, i.e. with an audience, no matter how small, I'd manage to get the guitar reasonably in tune.

Then someone would quickly mutter, "Come on, we've heard you tune it for the last half hour, give us a tune !" So I'd just strum away and it went some way to passing the time.

I remember on one station the police came around to see if I was busking and ended up waiting for a good ten minutes just listening before passing on.

Another time I was in a carriage and I had been tuning my guitar on the platform. I got in a carriage on my own, intending to just strum away without disturbing anyone. I'd been working on some tune, so I wanted to just be able to play it over and over again to get it right without pissing anyone off in the carriage. Anyway, this couple walked in and the bloke said, "There he is !"

"Here we bloody go !", I thought, "a fight on my hands for my guitar, just what I need !" Suddenly, the idea of getting in a carriage on my own didn't seem to bright. Anyway, the guy asked if I would sing as we were in Portsmouth and were heading up to London on the stopping train, so it was gonna be a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong journey.

Well, I wasn't going to sit across from this couple and have them staring right at me so I asked if I could just sit a compartment away from them as I was a bit conscious of being watched. The couple said, "Sure, so long as we can hear you..."

So, I played away and sang a few songs. "Give To Live", "Wanted Dead Or Alive", "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Deja Vu", "To Be With You", "What's The Story (Morning Glory)", "She's Electric", "Always", etc. I jammed them all out.

The couple got off a stop before mine and as he did they both shook my hand and thanked me. He handed me a big fat joint for my troubles. Well, I got off at the next step and walked up the road to my mate's house. As I unpacked, I passed the joint to one of my friends to spark up. I got myself a beer out and got chatting to one of my friend's girlfriends. Before I knew it, my mate had smoked the whole joint, was absolutely fubarred in the corner and I was left mildly irritated as it seemed like damn good stuff !!!

:lol:

I used to always get the 12 string out at Uni and when I rented a house with other friends. It doesn't get as much use nowadays. I must get it back out again as I'm sure it strengthened my fingers and made me a better player...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll sometimes take my 5150 1/2 stack outside and jam until the neighbors call the cops...always fun...

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
nroberts said:
Hey!! I lived in Vancouver, WA for 20 years, and I distinctly remember a June day in 1987 where I got to go outside for 45 minutes. :notme: :notme: :icon_peac

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
mondola said:
Before I knew it, my mate had smoked the whole joint, was absolutely fubarred in the corner and I was left mildly irritated as it seemed like damn good stuff !!!
A friend of mine's step dad would bogart the weed whenever we let him smoke with us. Pissed us off really bad. Then one time after he had done it and was complaining about how thirsty he was we gave him this concoction I had made that's main ingredient was shroom tea. Mighty potent shit too. We knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. As he was about to take a drink I told him what it was...he of course bogarted it and drank as much as he possibly could before it was taken away...but we let him have it ;)

Took him for a ride we did...literally...in an invisible car. His wife didn't know what the fuck to do with him when she got home and just sat in the corner laughing as he showed how stupid he was. He was a lot of fun for a good 8 hours.

He never asked us for weed again :lol: I think he got his ass kicked when he came down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts