Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I will never understand about Roth era only fans,( I like both Sammy more). Is without Sammy they would have had no Eddie after 1984. Even if you don't like Vanhagar at least appreciate Sam for giving Ed someone to write music threw. I'm not trying to start enything , just looking for a answer. :notme:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I'm a big fan of both era's for different reasons...but Ed was really on top of his playing in 1984.....he would have continued with or without Hagar.

But I hear you.....I love Sammy and hope to hear more with him.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After 1984 Eddie really lost his fire as far as I'm concerned. The worse thing for any guitar hero is when they want to write the next beatles song. Sammy to me is another Billy Squire who is just your every day standard rock singer. Sure Sammy has better pipes than Dave but Sammy just wasn't as cool as Dave was.
But now VH should just call it quits IMO.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The second album was the beginning of the end for me. I remember the sinking feeling when I first heard "Somebody Get me a Doctor." Ed is launching into that rhythmic + volume swell insanity before the solo and then Dave goes: "Wooo Wooo" like he's the conductor on a kiddie train totally throwing water on fire! Soo gay. However, "Outa Love Again" is Van Halen at their best. Van Halen and Hagar entered new territory and created some polished pop, which is no easy task. Even though the wicked guitar work was not there, you have to admit that they created some classics with Hagar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.