Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Doods. I am spending a bit of time working on my entry for the other April contest (which I need to finish up this weekend), so I am going to enter a previously recorded solo of mine from the first band I played in. This is from one of our original songs (we played primarily original music), recorded in the early 1990s. This was probably the 3rd or 4th original solo I had to ever write. There are a few elementary sounding parts (due to my relative youth as a guitar player at the time), but I would probably play it pretty much the same way were I to play it live today…maybe further develop a few week areas. This song was called “Lady Liberty.” Although the singer wrote the majority of the song, I came up with the chord progression and strumming style for the guitar parts during the lead section, as a derivative of his original song part. I let the sample run til the end of the song after the solo, as the lead is near the end of the song and there are only about 15 more seconds left until the end. Hope ya enjoy it a little. :icon_peac

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
whoa, don't know if im even competition for something like this. excellent solo. i can see lots of potentially different styles and approaches to this contest butting their heads

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Very impressive KC - this is quite a diffenent side of your playing I have never heard before. top stuff!!

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys for checking it out (Naifuzan, Mister Timely, Verga, Scalemaster, Goport, Mr. Pod). Goport, you have probably known me as long as anyone on this board, so your comment is appreciated. :thumbup:
Mr Pod said:
Kick ass solo, I'd like to hear the whole song!
Here you go!...Thanks :thumbup: This was the first time any of us had been in a studio. I always felt confident about this song, but our lack of budget/studio time and experience at the time have left a few sloppy parts you may notice. I hope you enjoy it regardless. :)

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
very Rushy , and melodic ! sounds very very smooth with lots of textures to it , hell this is very good !

·
Registered
338 Posts
KC_ArtRocker said:
Thanks a lot guys for checking it out (Naifuzan, Mister Timely, Verga, Scalemaster, Goport, Mr. Pod). Goport, you have probably known me as long as anyone on this board, so your comment is appreciated. :thumbup:
Here you go!...Thanks :thumbup: This was the first time any of us had been in a studio. I always felt confident about this song, but our lack of budget/studio time and experience at the time have left a few sloppy parts you may notice. I hope you enjoy it regardless. :)
That was a really good song, thanks for posting it! :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I actually got to see Jeff play this one live on stage!!! Always liked this song largely due to Jeff's lead work. The J-master has many gems in his arsenal of work....this is a nice one to pull out.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Muchos Gracias mis amigos! Art, I'll never grow tired of any comments reflecting my strong RUSH influence. :Sylvia:

Mr. Pod again, glad you liked our song, mate. :)

Thanks Dutch.

Riff Addict said:
That solo was great man, it seemed to fit the song well and thats what matters most about a solo
RiffAddict, that is very meaningful to me, that comment. I am no shredder and very well never will be one. I am not a very fast lead player. I can play fast in short spurts but not consistently. knowing this about myself, I focus consciously on making the best of the skills I've got by thinking about how a lead interacts with chord progressions and trying to support and accentuate the melodies already in the chord progressions. So your comment is appreciated that you made that connection. :Sylvia:

A Koo Stick: Thanks Matty. You are far too kind, amigo....but I'll take it. :) You need to post some new stuff, man! There are a lot of new people on this site since some of your previous posts that stirred up a good amount of interest. :Sylvia:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts