December 4, 1994
AUD - 9 or 10/10

Lineup:
Myles Goodwyn-vocals,guitars
Brian Greenway-vocals, guitars
Jim Clench-bass
Steve Segal-guitars
Jerry Mercer-drums

When April Wine reunited in 1993 and released their CD "Attitude", it was well received, critically and commercially- it went gold. It showed that they picked up right where they left off; good songwriting, vocals and heavy guitars. They toured Canada and America and fans old and new ate it up. So much so that the year after, they decided to do another album, "Frigate", and tour again.

They stopped at the mighty Mirage Nightclub just outside of downtown Minneapolis for a power-packed show. They played 15 songs- roughly an hour and a half- and they looked and sounded as good as they ever have.

This show is special for me, because, not only did I tape it, but a friend of mine taped it as well. My friend got a fancy new Sony D7 DAT recorder which worked great, but unfortunately, he used a generic, mono microphone. So while it sounds great, there's no fidelity to it. I taped the show using my rusty-trusty Aiwa J800 cassette recorder with a stereo microphone. Well, one day my friend wanted a bunch of his old shows that he'd recorded with his D7 transferred to a CD. This show was one of them. I decided to take the recording a step further:

I wanted to sync his mono DAT recording with my stereo cassette recording and make a stellar sounding bootleg. I knew that syncing a digital and an analog recording was going to be tricky, so I did a couple of test runs. I originally made this CD back in 1997, and the mono DAT tape is long gone, so there is no redoing it. It is what it is. This was done before the days of common multi-track source tape combining (i.e. the 2007 O2 Zeppelin reunion shows) to make phenomenal sounding audience recordings, so this was done on the fly. I had a tape deck with a pitch adjuster so when the sync started to wane, I either sped up or slowed down the cassette tape just slightly so it would match the DAT. There are points where you can hear the 2 sources not quite in sync, but it quickly gets corrected.

Three things about this show: 1) We were a little late getting to there, so I missed the first song, so it's presented here it it's original mono glory, but as soon as track 2 starts, so does the sync and man is it noticeable- but in a good way! 2) The tape runs out in the middle of "That's Love" so my cassette fades out and fades back in starting on the 2nd side but the mono DAT source is intact, and 3) When I originally wrote this to CD, it was before 80 minute discs were available, and since I didn't really want to make this a 2 disc set (remember, CD-Rs in 1997 were still like $7 a pop!), I decided to omit "21st Century Schizoid Man" because it had a guitar solo, a drum solo, and it just wasn't my favorite song in the world. An 80 minute CD wouldn't have mattered much anyway considering that the song, the drum solo and guitar solo were roughly 14 minutes. I did end up saving those tracks, and they are presented here as bonus tracks to complete the show. Don't ask me where "21st" falls in the set list- it's been too long to remember and my old cassette tape is in storage somewhere. I THINK it falls between "Before the Dawn" and "Just Between You And Me"

The result is a pretty damn good sounding audience recorded bootleg. As stated above, I'd rate this a 9 at it's worst, and a 10 at it's best. I've listened to this boot many many times and it's one of my favorite, not just April Wine boots, but one of my favorite boots of all time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Lineage (source 1): Aiwa J800 with Aiwa stereo mic on a Maxell 110 minute Metal cassette - playback on Tascam porta5 cassette deck. (source 2) Sony D7 DAT> Mixed to 2 tracks using SoundEdit16 on a Mac G3 > 16 Bit, 44.1 Stereo AIFF > Kodak Gold 74 CD-R > 192 kbps Mp3 > WinZip > Megaupload > You

No Artwork... Sorry

Track List:
01 Here's Lookin' At You Kid
02 I Just Wanna Make Love To You
03 Don't Push Me Around
04 If You Believe In Me
05 Say Hello
06 Before The Dawn
07 Just Between You And Me
08 Thinkin' It Over
09 That's Love
10 Sign Of The Gypsy Queen
11 I Like To Rock
12 Roller
13 You Could Have Been A Lady
14 Oowatanite
Bonus Tracks:
21st Century Schizoid Man/Drum Solo.mp3
Guitar Solo.mp3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YCHM3BNO

Enjoy! :rock:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
You're the greatest. I always welcome fine Wine. This is one of Canadas most under rated bands. I wish they would get more shows here in the states. I am friends with Brian Greenway and if yo wuold like to have them do a show in your area, drop me a line and we will see what we can do to make it happen

Rock On

muzicman1961

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Howdy gang,

After listening to this show 3 times, I am certain I have the setlist in the correct order

Track List:
01 - Here's Lookin' At You Kid
02 - I Just Wanna Make Love To You
03 - Don't Push Me Around
04 - If You Believe In Me
05 - Say Hello
06 - Before The Dawn
07 - Just Between You And Me
08 - Guitar Solo.mp3
09 - 21st Century Schizoid Man/Drum Solo.mp3
10 - Driving With My Eyes Closed
11 - That's Love
12 - Sign Of The Gypsy Queen
13 - I Like To Rock
14 - Roller
15 - You Could Have Been A Lady
16 - Oowatanite

Rock On
muzicman1961

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the updated track list muzicman1961. I don't know why I thought that Driving With My Eyes Closed was entitled Thinkin' it Over. And you are correct about the order- I just found my original cassette of this show and that is the order that it is in. Thank you for your input! :rock:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're welcome everybody- I had no idea there were so many Wine lovers out there. I have another April Wine bootleg that I recorded in 2001 in Minnesota, when they did to Weeping Widow, Enough Is Enough, The Band Has Just Begun and a few more that they didn't do at this show. I'll be uploading that sometime this week. It doesn't sound as good as this one, but it's cool anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunatley I will not be able to add this to my collection. 192kps is not CD quality. Lame Joint Stereo, Variable Bit Rate at 320 max will give you CD quality. I also noticed you used Xing encoder one some of the tracks (one of the worst if not the worst). It's buildt for speed not accuracy and completely destroys the sound.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm sorry you feel that way. Nobody else that's commented seems to feel the way you do. They're gracious and enjoy what I have to offer. I've listened to this Mp3 version of the concert and it sounds fine to me. - By the way, I use iTunes to create all of my Mp3s, so if you think this doesn't sound good, then you probably won't like my other offerings either. As Lincoln said, You Can't Please All The People All The Time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.