Votes: 82 59.9%
  • Digital Effects

Votes: 55 40.1%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm... Ive noticed that a lot of people on this forum love to use Digital Effects over Tube Amps.

I was just wondering what do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tube amp is my preference, perhaps I'm just old fashioned. Not that I'm judging anyone, but I find it interesting how many will use digital effects to try and get that "natural warmth of a tube amp". Kind of ironic isn't it? However, I totally understand the benefits of not having to mic a cab and worry about all the other influences on sound, so it's really a preference anyways.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well, I play through a digital FX modeler, but that's not to say what I prefer. If I had the means (e.g. single and living on my own), I'd want a tube amp rig and a pedal board and a THD hotplate to record it all through. But the digital modeler has USB recording built in and is convenient and sounds acceptable AND it does not disturb my Wife and two sons or the neighbours, plus I'd rather not live on my own.... :icon_thum

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use a MFX pedal and I can get some real nice sounds with it. That is what I choose to use because amps can be limited and I play different types of music so the distortions I can get out of my GNX3 is unlimited. But if I were in a band and I knew exactly what sound I was going for, I would probably go with a really nice amp. But right now im happy with what I have so im going to have to vote for digital fx :thumb:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tubes. Nothing Better, IMHO.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I'd be lying if i said getting a digital effects unit (pod) didn't cahnge my world , great tone , easy to get , great recording sound versatility ,

But man there really is nothing like a good tube amp . My fender hot rod deluxe cranked up is just amazing .

so yes i prefer tubes ! but for a quick practise or recording jam ... pod will do just fine thanks !

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
Well... if i had the choice i'd go for a Tube amp everytime. Nice vintage tube amp with a good solid overdrive pedal. a noise surpressor and a delay/reverb pedal... and that would be it. Along with a strat of course.

However... considering the price those things are these days i can't afford em. So digitecl effects processor units do me for the time being .

But like i say. if given a choice i think myself and most people would go for tubes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started out on tube amps... Marshall combo and Marshall halfstack.

I lugged them around for years to band practice... gigs... everywhere. Used power soaks, wrapped the cabinets with foam... they sounded best when they were cranked on the edge of exploding. ;) But difficult to carry and to practice at night with.

I migrated to solid state stuff... and spent YEARS sifting through every preamp, portable head, and modeller I could get my mits on.

Wasted wasted years.........:irk:

I've since gotten rid of my Tom Scholtz gear, POD, J Station, Duoverb, Gallien Kruger, Sans Amp and piles of other solid state gear I had.

Mesa Tube amp. Direct in. No distortion pedals. (I use a Visual sound H20 in the loop for delay)

I will never go back. :icon_thum

Tubes are the life blood of electric guitars. :jam:

·
Registered
28 Posts
not sure,..i like the ease of having loads of sounds in a portable box but that true valve sound is sweet and hard to reproduce well. i think line 6 do a pretty good job at it though.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I have both and to be honest, for recording here, the POD XT is easy, quiet, and tonefull without much fuss.

I do still record with tube (valve) amps occassionally. What i do not get on the non-tube, is the "feel." Totally different imo. I think playing a tube amp is also a technique. My opinion.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I've had a lot of tube, hybrid and SS stuff. I love the sound of a 5150II with a load of effects cranked to the max....it has a real punch! They both have pros and cons. All tube gear can be touchy....one day it sounds awesome, the next a bit stale. But when it's all said an done, the best amp for me at this point is a Line 6 Vetta.....which Wah Wah made me buy! I cannot imagine selling it and doing back....but you never know what the future holds.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
VHFan said:
I've had a lot of tube, hybrid and SS stuff. I love the sound of a 5150II with a load of effects cranked to the max....it has a real punch! They both have pros and cons. All tube gear can be touchy....one day it sounds awesome, the next a bit stale. But when it's all said an done, the best amp for me at this point is a Line 6 Vetta.....which Wah Wah made me buy! I cannot imagine selling it and doing back....but you never know what the future holds.
I still have the gun I held to your head! :notme:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Love my digital stuff!! I play a Digitech GNX3. All of us at the Digitech forum got lucky. There is a member there who has been a sound engineer for 27 years and took it upon himself a while back to analyze and replicate THE REAL amps, engl, bogner, diezel, mesa, fender you name it. He put these into software form and patented them into the MFX series. These sound as close to if not just like the real thing. I tried his peavey 5150 patch against my 5150 head and was amazed!!! Same bottom end and sound. Then I tried not to think of the difference in price of the head compared to the price of the $60 software. All of his amps have replaced all of my factory user presets on the GNX3, as they were pretty bad. I had a pod xt also, but sold it after buying this software. Have to say that if I were playing out live, I would have to use tubes though. Love the 5150 and Engl Savage 120!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Forgot to mention, anyone with a GNX3 or 4, the software I talked about has over 200 amp models and 200 artist patches done after the sound of almost every guitarist you can think of. There is also a Deluxe package that has about 3 times this many. Waaay too many for me, but someone else may want that. If interested, check out the digitech site under guitar workstation. With the GNX3 and 4 having built in 8 track recorders, bass patches, drum machine and looper, this software gives you many more sound options.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I record with a J-Station... bought a PODxt Live... but I was unimpressed and traded it for a guitar... :D I still do all my recording with the J-Station... I love that danged thing...

...I think I probably prefer tube amps live though

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi:

I play through a Boss GT8 Modeller/MFX direct to PA.

I guess I'm a digitalist right now. Here's my reasoning:

- I'm a new player and want a versatile set of tones (not ready to commit to one Amp tone yet).
- I don't have the $ to spend on a quality amp.
- I only play at home - the digi/PA rig allows me to play at at lower volumes without sacrificing tone.
- digital modeller --> to very small keyboard amp/PA sounds much better than most small solid state guitar amps. (i.e. 15-20 Watt).
- My gt8 has the equivilent of 30/40 separate effects pedals in it. (I can't imagine ever owning / dealing with that many pedals separately).
- Digital effects technology is advancing quickly. They may never achieve a tube amp sound but their getting closer and closer.
- Digital effects boxes have special interfaces for connecting to PCs etc.
- A digital effects / FRFR rig is very portable.

Someday I hope to own a good tube amp - but for now digital modeller/MFX/FRFR rigs are practical and allow me a wide range of tones / effects at a reasonable price. If I'm every playing in front of an audience - a nice stack will be the only way to go.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts