Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm very curious about other peoples answers..

When playing something at the height of your technical abilities, are you still able to play with feeling? Obviously people will have differences in their definition of ‘feeling’, so I guess we could describe it as expressing your emotions through what you’re playing.

I'm wondering if beginners and the most experienced guitarists have the ability to put feeling into anything they do.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a guitar Instructor I can pretty easily say beginners have a very hard time playing with feeling because they are way too focused on getting the notes right. You have to get to a point where all of that is completely second nature and then you can effortlessly focus on adding feeling, nuance, etc. For even a pro, if you are playing something at the height of your technical ability it is a little harder to play with feeling... although usually music that is challenging to a pro player is usually extremely fast or rhythmically challenging, in which case it doesn't always require a lot of "feeling".

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bit late to reply but as i'm only just coming back to the forum, time to put my thoughts on this.

Yes it is perfectly possible to be technically very proficient and still keep the boogie. Joe Satriani is a perfect example of this, he is technically very proficient and yet he keeps his boogie going through and through.

John Petrucci for example is also technically brilliant and has done some great music, but also sometimes gone for technicality over boogie and thats made some of his solo's truly boring.

Yes i know its my opinion and some may not agree, but lets open this up as a discussion about these and other players.

Everyone else's thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.