Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a great set of versions over in battle but I thought I would just post mine 'cause I spent so much damn time on the backing two weeks ago. I pretty much wanted to do a cover of this just so I could do that cool and eerie harmonics run after the solo (very difficult for me). Plus I wanted to put my old MXR flanger to use. The tone here is not great. I had a buddy who though the name of the song was "your talkn' bunk":lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
another awsome post there eddie.....er strat :D you sure have the EVH style/sound down gr8 job bro :icon_thum

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
:thumb: Hehehe phaser heaven....cool Strat...very cool.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
this is the most impressive out of the three versions I have heard today :thumb:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Sound is pretty close man but I know you won't feel fucked off if I say that I think you've come closer with some of the other VH work. The rythm is great and most of the fills are also. The harmonic run at 2:24 is perfect! The only bit I found not too close was the first part of the solo and the run up near the end. Saying that, I cheated on my version and put a part of the ending of one of the other VH1 songs at the exact same part! (about 1:37) Eddie just goes beserk at that part!

Anyway, I wasn't gonna blow smoke up your ass if I thought it wasn't perfect and hoped you'd respect me for that! As I said in an earlier post, You were suckled on Mrs Van Halens right tit and Alex had to have a bottle!
:icon_peac

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Man, that solo is a bitch. It really has those illusive wacky bends that I've been trying to work on. I have almost forgotten about the trem bar cuase in some way this sort of technique is wilder than the whammy bar stuff. Thanks Wahwah for the words! I appreciate and grow from honest observations.:thumb: I have learned allot from you over the past year and will never forget your words "tone is in the ears, not the mind". However I've been miserable ever since!:lol: On some days I think I find tone the next day its gone!!! :wutblau:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
"Man, that solo is a bitch. It really has those illusive wacky bends that I've been trying to work on.''

Yep, thats the bit. Ed seems to bend further up everytime he hits the note in that run and, because is wild bends, its hard to get a reference point! Believe me, when you've played it 200 times and you still haven't got it right, I gave up! :icon_thum

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Man...I really look forward to your posts, bro!!!:woot: You are one monster player!! Your tone and chops simply give me goosebumps!!!:jam: Awesome track!!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
470 Posts
strat78 said:
Thanks guys. Man, that solo is a bitch. It really has those illusive wacky bends that I've been trying to work on. I have almost forgotten about the trem bar cuase in some way this sort of technique is wilder than the whammy bar stuff. Thanks Wahwah for the words! I appreciate and grow from honest observations.:thumb: I have learned allot from you over the past year and will never forget your words "tone is in the ears, not the mind". However I've been miserable ever since!:lol: On some days I think I find tone the next day its gone!!! :wutblau:
Not to get down on Line6 stuff because everyone knows it's great, but when I had a Line6 AX2 212, all I every did was tweak it. Constantly tweaking looking for that miracle marshall setting. When I got sick of doing that I got the Rocca Marshall. I don't tweak anymore....I play. Sounds like an advertisement, but it is the truth.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
J-Mart said:
Not to get down on Line6 stuff because everyone knows it's great, but when I had a Line6 AX2 212, all I every did was tweak it. Constantly tweaking looking for that miracle marshall setting. When I got sick of doing that I got the Rocca Marshall. I don't tweak anymore....I play. Sounds like an advertisement, but it is the truth.
Wow, this is very true. I just took a listen to my last recording with the old Marshall and despite the poor recording it still had that unmatchable quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts