Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered something cool the other day: If you turn up the Post gain to 10 on the Rhythm Channel while playing through the Lead channel, you get a "hotter" sound. I finally found the ":super-heavy-Wylde-Rhoads-Metal sound I wanted, & all without an OD pedal driving the front end, which I still use to add some sustain, but the 5150 still sounds awesome without it. Please Note that this works best through the High-Gain input... :jam: :bowdown:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AND Make SURE you don't hit that channel selector button or this amp could kill you!!! Who really needs more than one channel anyways? If I turn down my guitar it cleans right up and I don't really care if the clean sounds good or not as I'll usually switch to a SC for the clean stuff...

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Man i'm too scared to do that for the sole reason that out of habit i would click the channel select button and BANG won't be able to hear anything for the rest of my life :lol:

i may give it a shot if i have the guts !

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUDE! You should really try it. It'll be like two different amps!!! You'll know what i mean. Don't be a spaz, just go for it!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any one else tried this??

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You might be onto something...I never actually tried this when I had a 5150 head....but it's long gone on E-bay.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too Bad. It is awesome. Oh well...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi:

I tried it but I am not sure I notice a difference with my set-up. I have an early 5150 EVH head (which sounds great by the way) Do I need to crank up the post gain on the lead channel up a bit to notice the extra gain that I am getting by cranking up the Post volume on the rhythm side? I have heard of your idea before on Harmony Central so what you say is true. I am not sure if it works with every head.

Thanks for the cool tip!
Bob

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
vicferrari said:
Hi:

I tried it but I am not sure I notice a difference with my set-up. I have an early 5150 EVH head (which sounds great by the way) Do I need to crank up the post gain on the lead channel up a bit to notice the extra gain that I am getting by cranking up the Post volume on the rhythm side? I have heard of your idea before on Harmony Central so what you say is true. I am not sure if it works with every head.

Thanks for the cool tip!
Bob
What about your 5150 Combo Vic? Any difference there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried it with my combo and cant hear any difference at all. Even turned up the post gain rhythm volume while playing. No difference at all with my amp.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe it only works with mine... But just so you know the tubes in my head are still stock except for the GT 12AX7R2 that I put in V1 to "metalize" the sound. So maybe that is why this works with mine, but I play with the followin settings: B=8, M=9, T=7, R+Pr=10 and Pre+Post on Rhythm on 10, Pre on Lead(active) on 10, and Post on 1.2, with a ZWOD in front as a booster, L=Max, T=3oclock, Gain=minimum, and I plug in through the high gain input and THAT might be what is allowing the Variac-type shit... I don't know, but it sounds f*cking awesome. :rock:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nope.

:icon_peac I tried it and did not hear a difference, my 5150 has the stock tubes and is also a early model, besides, dont really need it hotter, but its always fun to try new ideas!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, mine is the block logo, one of the first ones that came out, and I figured that since I discored such an awesome amp secret, that I should share the knowledge. i always hear about people selling off their 5150's because they couldn't get a good sound or whatever...Don't sell your 5150!!!! :twisted: GIVE IT TO ME!!!! I COMMAND YOU IN THE NAME OF THE DARK LORD!!!! MWAH-HA-HAHA....... :twisted:

G

·
BBE sonic maximizer

cranking the post gain work pretty good...but you could get that sound all day long with a BBE SOnic maximizer and then some. I just started using a MAXCOM with a SM on board to lose some of the 5150 gain overflow noise and it brings out the real f-in beast.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah. I wann get a maximizer, but first I need to retube, get tha bias mod, a 4x12 cab, and a new ax. Then I'll start investing into a maximizer.....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I had a BBE SM in the loop of mine.....a must have IMO. You can get them all day on E-bay for about $80.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah it does. That is the amp that VHfan has. He says its good. I haven't tried it but right now my 5150 mk. I is the SHIT!!! It just craps on every other amp I've tried, although was kinda muddy at first. I just swapped the power tubes around until I got rid of that and it is the ULTIMATE tone monster now. :icon_eek: :bannana_g

1 - 20 of 20 Posts