Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dumped the processor and got some killer tone here. Noise Suppresor works nice. Rare 80's delay is sweet. Some nice toys and hoping for an EVH phase for xmas. 1 problem is the line out records kinda funky so a may look into getting a microphone and if anyone out there can reccommend how i should mike this amp as in how do i get a good microphone and run it through my line in on my soundblaster soundcard..thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, line-outs always sound like crap. You need some kind of cabinet simulator for that to sound good. A POD type product will do this quite nicely. There are a few other products out there as well, but I'm not familiar with them at all.

Otherwise, mic-wise, you can't go wrong with a Shure SM57. As far as placement...I like to put mine in front of the speaker :grin:

EDIT: also - your noise gate will work better at the END of your effects chain.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sixstringhotshot said:
EDIT: also - your noise gate will work better at the END of your effects chain.
thats what i thought but there was alot of noise and now its perfect....i dont know about these boss pedals but it seems order goes against some rules....the board at Guitar center that has every pedal on it starts with the "Noise suppressor"

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey Joe. their thought on the noise suppressor first was to get as clean of a signal as possible before "processing" it. if you put at the end, it may clip some of the signal and remove effects. It thinks they are noise not a signal.

I do have to agree on the SM57. thats the best instrument recording mic I know of.. We sell tons of them at the shop.

I would try it on the lower right speaker. directly in front of the cone. . or just below center and to the right of that speaker.
That usually has good results.
Keith

·
Registered
80 Posts
axeshredder said:
thats what i thought but there was alot of noise and now its perfect....i dont know about these boss pedals but it seems order goes against some rules....the board at Guitar center that has every pedal on it starts with the "Noise suppressor"

How unusual....

well, whatever works I suppose!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Killer rig you've got now :bannana_g Whats that red neck through you've got on the right side of your guitar rack?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Steve Stevens is the man. I met him this summer at a guitar workshop in LA. Nicest guy in the world, helluva guitarist too. He brought his nylon string acoustic and his HOT girlfriend.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
axeshredder said:
that a good eye you have their Mab...lol
Its a Hamer Steve Stevens model from the 80's....shes sweet
notice an original "machined not molded" floyd rose
Ive never seen one of them before. Im guessing its pretty rare? :afro:

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it is..pure mohogany neck through body....one of the first Hamers with a floyd rose...and with a strat pickup setup, lots of tones from this axe..the only guitarist ive ever seen with one besides Steve was the guitarist for Debbie Gibson...remember her

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Cool stuff Axe....like that SS Hamer...Debbie Gibson...hehe

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the line out doesnt record well so i have to invest in a microphone and do it the right way but the jsx's sound through the speakers is incredible ....now i just have to reproduce it in recording

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vintage_brat said:
Hey Joe. their thought on the noise suppressor first was to get as clean of a signal as possible before "processing" it. if you put at the end, it may clip some of the signal and remove effects. It thinks they are noise not a signal.

I do have to agree on the SM57. thats the best instrument recording mic I know of.. We sell tons of them at the shop.

I would try it on the lower right speaker. directly in front of the cone. . or just below center and to the right of that speaker.
That usually has good results.
Keith
thank VB for you experienced knowledge

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you wanna get this cookie, just gimme a plan to your house, indicate the guitar room and give the number that is located on your key

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I used to have the same situation Axe....where I had about 12 boss pedals. I also agree that the Noise gate works best as the first one.....or there is a way to use the loop in that pedal what also works well....grab the manual on line and check it out.

Another thing that might work well for you is to break them up...into 2 chains. Put the Morleys first, then the NS-2, then any distortions, OD's or phasers etc in front of the amp. Next in the effects loop between the JSX's pre and power amp....add any delays or reberb, EQ's, BBE's etc....anything that colors the post distorted sound. That way you can use the distortion of your JSX only or the boss pedals, or sometimes both. I'll bet if you try it like that...you will leave it that way.

What are you plugging that SM57 into? Straight into the soundcard? If so you will get a way better reproducton of your rig's live sound if you get a good preamp...or better yet, one with a built in DAC.....such as a Firewire 410 (about $250 used)....if you are recording with a PC. If you are recording with a digital recorder that has XLR inputs...you just need a regular mic preamp like J-mart uses which cost about $130..... the Behringer tube ultragain T1953.

Cool rig and fun to play with......I finally gave up, sold everything, and now just have a Vetta and Bad Horsie...still keep a BBE in the loop and a firewire 410 between it and the PC. It's just so much faster and easier....as well as cheaper to record in stereo....and I don't use mics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts