Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am thinking of getting the B.C. Rich Kerry King Wartribe1 as i am a huge slayer and heavy metal fan, now i was wondering what quality B .C. Rich guitars actually are, as i have heard many good things about the mockingbirds etc.
Is this a good choice or should i get a new vox valvetronics AD50VT amp, as i only have an ashton pack, which was to get me started!

thanks

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
Hi,
I am thinking of getting the B.C. Rich Kerry King Wartribe1 as i am a huge slayer and heavy metal fan, now i was wondering what quality B .C. Rich guitars actually are, as i have heard many good things about the mockingbirds etc.
Is this a good choice or should i get a new vox valvetronics AD50VT amp, as i only have an ashton pack, which was to get me started!

thanks
I would say play the guitar before you buy it and see if it feels right in your hands. I know that sounds rather dumb, but it's so true. I think BC Rich makes some decent axes bro. Whenever I'm hunting for a new axe - I go for the looks of what I want first, then play them. If they don't feel right in my hands I move on to another axe.

I ran into a couple thousand dollars so I am looking to buy a new axe - maybe today. While I'm not looking to get a BC Rich, at this point I'd like to get either a Flying V or an Explorer.

Thats why buying an axe from a mail order place seems rather stupid to me. Because how can you play it first before you buy it? Thats an important part for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GuitarPlayingPJ said:
I would say play the guitar before you buy it and see if it feels right in your hands. I know that sounds rather dumb, but it's so true. I think BC Rich makes some decent axes bro. Whenever I'm hunting for a new axe - I go for the looks of what I want first, then play them. If they don't feel right in my hands I move on to another axe.

I ran into a couple thousand dollars so I am looking to buy a new axe - maybe today. While I'm not looking to get a BC Rich, at this point I'd like to get either a Flying V or an Explorer.

Thats why buying an axe from a mail order place seems rather stupid to me. Because how can you play it first before you buy it? Thats an important part for me.
Thats true, but the thing is were i live in Australia not one of the shops have them so i dont really know what to do about testing it out though!, but if you see one around could you have a little test just give me a quick rundown of overall feel and performance to your liking, tomorrow i am supposed to get a call from the music store so maybe then
but any other opinions, advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
Thats true, but the thing is were i live in Australia not one of the shops have them so i dont really know what to do about testing it out though!, but if you see one around could you have a little test just give me a quick rundown of overall feel and performance to your liking, tomorrow i am supposed to get a call from the music store so maybe then
but any other opinions, advice is greatly appreciated

thanks
Ahhh I see. So maybe you may have to just order the axe and hope it plays well! Heheh, thats cool if you live way out in the sticks - then maybe thats what you have to do. I guess I never considered people who live out in the bush - theres no Guitar Center down the street is there.

In that case either place the order via mail order and have it shipped to you. If it plays crappy, send it back. Or plan a trip to the city and try out the axes for yourself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GuitarPlayingPJ said:
Ahhh I see. So maybe you may have to just order the axe and hope it plays well! Heheh, thats cool if you live way out in the sticks - then maybe thats what you have to do. I guess I never considered people who live out in the bush - theres no Guitar Center down the street is there.

In that case either place the order via mail order and have it shipped to you. If it plays crappy, send it back. Or plan a trip to the city and try out the axes for yourself.
lol, i always knew that everybody thought aussies live in the bush :p
nah i live in Perth, not the bush, its just that everything is kept over to the eastern states, as we get everything like 1-2 years after them, somthing is wrong there :p

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
lol, i always knew that everybody thought aussies live in the bush :p
nah i live in Perth, not the bush, its just that everything is kept over to the eastern states, as we get everything like 1-2 years after them, somthing is wrong there :p
Oh I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply you lived in the bush there Freakzilla!

I'm spoiled - theres like 2 Guitar Centers near me - and a slew of Mom and Pop guitar stores.

Whats the nearest Guitar Store to you Freakzilla?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i am only 14, so i go for lessons at a place about 15 minutes away from me,
that have nothing as it is new, but the teacher there is heaps sick.
But the first decent shop with atleast 20 guitars would be about 30-40 mins away and then even further, but they normally stick the the fenders which to me is quite boring!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
well i am only 14, so i go for lessons at a place about 15 minutes away from me,
that have nothing as it is new, but the teacher there is heaps sick.
But the first decent shop with atleast 20 guitars would be about 30-40 mins away and then even further, but they normally stick the the fenders which to me is quite boring!
Ya know then maybe the mail order option is what you should do. Places like Musicians Friend or even Guitar Center will Air Mail you anything you want. I have never done that so maybe someone will chime in who has.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe, but most things cost tonnes for me, as i was told it would cost me $80 for shipping and insurance, so tomorrow during the day i am gonna ring around see if someone will order it in for me :p

what guitars do u have GuitarPlayingPJ?

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
maybe, but most things cost tonnes for me, as i was told it would cost me $80 for shipping and insurance, so tomorrow during the day i am gonna ring around see if someone will order it in for me :p

what guitars do u have GuitarPlayingPJ?
Well I used to have about 10 guitars - but I sold most of them before I went into the Army in 1996. I'm still kicking myself in the ass about that.

This is what I have now - a Squire Strat, a Samick SC-310 Classical and a 1984 Fender F-210 Steel String Acoustic. This is a pic from my condo - who needs a dinning room anyway? :laugh:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the first 2 is what i have the ashton stuff, and the bottom 2 is what i am after, that is the bc rich guitar i am after with the effects on them

and what would you get instead of a vox?

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Freakzilla said:
the first 2 is what i have the ashton stuff, and the bottom 2 is what i am after, that is the bc rich guitar i am after with the effects on them

and what would you get instead of a vox?
Theres plenty - a Marshal Combo, or a Mesa Boogie type amp. Or even a nice Fender Tweed or an old Fender 1965 copy..

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
mab8485 said:
Hey freakzilla.

If you're gonna do the whole mailing thing, i strongly suggest doing it from www.venuemusic.com.au or www.musicianswarehouse.com.au rather than ordering from an american site. :thumb:

I'd just be very paranoid about ordering something from overseas in case it breaks.
Thats a good point. Get it from your country of origin.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The bass player in my band has a 5 String Warlock Bass in the NJ series (I think it's NJ) and I was amazed by it. It sounds really good. I kinda expected the sound to slack since it is heavily "looks" oriented. On the other hand, I have played quite a few of the Bronze series and other lower end warlock guitars and they SUCKED HARDCORE! B.C. Rich makes some really good higher end models but my advice is to stay far far away from any of their lower end models. The NJ's and Platinum have decent tone and they are rock solid (they know people rock them hard, so they make the high end ones really well) The bronze guitars are made of really shitty materials and fall apart after a couple years of moderate use. That, and they sound like shit. haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts