Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Most of my recent recordings have been made using my computer (using the line in input
) but I've been wanting to get a regular 4 track cassette recorder; actually, one that you can record up to 4 tracks at the same time. Can someone recommend one? Preferrably if it's under the range of $150

TIA

Ben

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the only bad thing about the digital ones is that they are usually limited with the media. Some use memory cards, but you'd have to buy a bunch of them; you could get like a 10pack cassettes for like 5 bucks or less... with a memory card you're limited to it's space :(

is there a better alternative?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Why not buy a good soundcard that will accept 4 inputs?

EDIT: ah...forget what I said, I just noticed the price range.

A cheap mixer would help. What are you gonna be recording that you need 4 inputs? Drums?

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
I wouldn't even consider NOT using the PC as the means to record. Too many reasons why PC recording blows away tradition analog and even the newer digial multitrackers...just to name a few, price, capacity, expandabilty, options...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
stingx said:
I wouldn't even consider NOT using the PC as the means to record. Too many reasons why PC recording blows away tradition analog and even the newer digial multitrackers...just to name a few, price, capacity, expandabilty, options...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I agree using the PC is the best way...

But here's the thing. Occassionally I travel and meet with some friends; say we are jamming or something and want to record; of course I don't have my PC with me, so I thought about getting a portable 4 track recorder
. Then I can transfer what I recorded to the PC

Does it make more sense now?

Ben

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Bckwds Traveller said:

yeah, I agree using the PC is the best way...

But here's the thing. Occassionally I travel and meet with some friends; say we are jamming or something and want to record; of course I don't have my PC with me, so I thought about getting a portable 4 track recorder
. Then I can transfer what I recorded to the PC

Does it make more sense now?

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't make any sense to me. I take a 3 year old vaio laptop with me and the portable FW410, a mic or two, my podxt, and guitar...viola!

Seriously, unless you hate computers there is no way to justify the cost of those 4-8 track analog or digital recorders. You can go to a computer show and get a laptop for 200-300 bucks. You really don't even need so much CPU horsepower, although it comes in handy for cpu intensive VST plugins and mp3 encoding but really even a 3 year old laptop has more than enuff cpu. It's just me, man, don't take it personally. It's your money, though, so whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Wouldn't there also be quality loss when converting the analog audio to digital for the PC?
Like stingx, I take my laptop wherever I go. I use a $99 GuitarPort and that's all I need!
I bought a Fostex 4-Track 7 years ago(before I got my PC). It was used maybe 10 times, then I discovered PC recording and haven't used it since, lol. Kinda pissed me off at the time cause I paid $500 for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright.. thanks for all the advice....

I did have a 3 y/o vaio laptop (that by the way didn't have a line in input!) and had to use a USB adapter to record, but latency was too high... anyways.. thanks for the recommendations

Ben

G

·
the only thing i can think of is to get a laptop with a line-in, and put cool edit on it. take it wherever you want then.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts