Notes:

(11:13)

01 Jammin' At The Atlantis
02 Pay To Cum
03 Don't Bother Me
04 Black Dots
05 You're A Migraine
06 Send Me No Flowers

Betcha haven't seen this one around before... or if you have, I doubt it was in pristine shape like this copy! Despite what Caroline Records wants us to think, the June 1979 "Black Dots" session was the Brains' second formal foray into the studio, not their first. This original demo was the product of Skip Groff's initiative - I'll let him tell the story:

"LIMP records was my store label, I released 45s by The Slickee Boys, The Razz, Black Market Baby, Nightman, The Dark, and many more, including the first studio recordings by Don Fleming's Velvet Monkeys, Tommy Keene, The Shirkers, The Nurses, Bad Brains and more. I still have the original home demo reel to reel tape Bad Brains brought by my store as an audition, but they were not amateurs, all accomplished jazz, funk, go-go musicians from PG County, they saw the excitement and vigor that the punk arena carried with it, and became a quick rising force on the DC scene before making their mark in NYC. I was supposed to produce their first session at Inner Ear, whih I had already paid for. The day before, lead singer HR came into my store and stared at me behind the counter like he wanted to slit my throat; this went on for hours. Frankly, it freaked me out, and the next day, a Saturday, I begged Kim Kane from the Slickee Boys to take my place. He went in, and by the time the Bad Brains got set up and organized there was like 1/2 hour left. Kim set down DON'T BOTHER ME and I re-mixed it later and issued it on The Best Of Limp, our second DC compilation. The first was 30 seconds over DC, recently issued by Henry Rollins on CD on his label District Line, and the third sampler was Connected, in between many 45s & eps as well as albums by The Slickee Boys, Afrika Korps, Tommy Keene, and Nightman."

See additional .txt file for a brief interview snippet that goes into further detail. This recording of "Don't Bother Me" also ended up on a split single with Black Market Baby, and a compilation LP entitled "Generations". As far as I can tell, only it and "Black Dots" have made it into circulation, the latter on a low-quality CD compilation of demos I think you have listed on Phishhook. Tracklist presents the songs as they were titled at the time of recording. Enjoy...

http://kiwi6.com/file/02d2u255lj

Bad Brains
Date: 1979-06-??
Venue: (smokeydiablo) Inner Ear Studios, Arlington, VA
Sets: 32min
Media: CDR
Number: 1
Source: SBD > cassette (unknown gen) > FLAC
Notes:

(32:00)

01 Don't Need It
02 Jammin' At The Atlantis
03 Pay To Cum
04 Supertouch/Shitfit
05 The Regulator
06 You're A Migraine
07 Don't Bother Me
08 Banned In D.C.
09 Why'd You Have To Go?
10 The Man Won't Annoy Ya
11 Redbone In The City
12 Black Dots
13 How Low Can A Punk Get?
14 Just Another Damn Song
15 Attitude
16 Send You No Flowers

This is the original mix of the June 1979 "Black Dots" session that circulated among friends of the band and eventually other traders/collectors, and is the best sounding copy you're gonna find... I say that with confidence after comparing six(!) different sources, most of them incomplete. A slight loss in clarity is evident compared to the released version, but this mix is much more reminiscent of their other early recordings - punchy, raw and aggressive. No banter between tunes. Weird keyboard jingles on "Attitude". Enough talk, just listen & enjoy...

http://kiwi6.com/file/h67kmkrgsw
http://kiwi6.com/file/ymhe567mzs
http://kiwi6.com/file/76cg1emx0i

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for this -- but are you missing another file or 2 for the first set? I un-rar'd the only one you've posted and all I got was Track 1...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts