Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BAND LINE-UP CHANGES THAT HAVEN\'T WORKED? Whats your thoughts?

I was thinking today of some of my fave bands and the new members they got in their line-up when somebody had left...and how IMO, it hadn't worked out. These are my ones...you got any? Agree or disagree?

1. Reb Beach in Dokken. Reb is a brilliant player but for me,
Dokken WAS George Lynch; Don Dokken had an average
voice, Mick Brown wasn't an awesome drummer and Jeff
Pilson was ok. The songs were more of a vehicle for
George. When Reb joined, they were trying to get hip with
a grunge style and it sounded crap!

2. Steve Vai in Whitesnake. Awesome player but destroyed
forever, the blues vibe that was there before. John Sykes
was the man but Coverdale's ego got out of hand.

3. Ritchie Kotzen in Mr Big. Again, a great player but of the
stuff I heard he never made the impression that Paul Gilbert
and Billy Sheehan did together.

4. Snowy White in Thin Lizzy. Too smooth by any means and
after the likes of Robertson, Gorham, Moore and Sykes
had weaved their magic, it was never gonna result in a twin
guitar line-up that gelled. Thank God Gary Moore came
back.

5. Blayze Bailey in Iron Maiden. Bruce is a BIG loss and I
dont think Maiden knew how big a loss he would turn out to
be.

There are also some that I think worked brilliant...Jan Gers as replacement for Adrian Smith in Maiden...John Corabi as replacement for Vince Neal in Crue (tho' I don't think the States ever took to it).

Then there are sacred cows that maybe worked but opinion is divided FOREVER! Ripper Owen for Rob Halford? Brian Johnson for Bon Scott? Roth and Hagar? (Oh shit! Scrub that!). Steve Morse for Ritchie Blackmore? Whoever it was who replaced Dave Lombardo in Slayer??? Any more you can think of?

·
drunken loser!
444 Posts
Re: BAND LINE-UP CHANGES THAT HAVEN\'T WORKED? Whats your thoughts?

the band that tony blair played that ol' squire on on tv, some university band i think.
infact any band with tony blair in new or old!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

Bonnet for Dio !!?? What the fuck was Ritchie thinking about !!!!
Some great tracks on Down to Earth but if Dio and Blackmore got it on this would be a real dinasaur band if they got back together , and im sure there wouldnt be many people here who wouldnt go see them.1 problem who could replace Cozy. mmmmmm!!!!

·
drunken loser!
444 Posts

when hugh cornwell left the stranglers he was replaced by some guy named paul.
i saw them live and was so disappointed.
maybe they thought it was progress however they lasted about 5 minutes before kicking the guy out or whatever happened to him.
however there music had also gone pretty crappy with hugh at the helm.
as an extra to this story i saw hugh cornwell and his band play live to and they were shit hot, all the early stranglers type stuff.
maybe hugh left because the rest of the band wanted to play shit and he didn't

i bet I'm the first person to mention the stranglers on this forum

·
Registered
7,615 Posts

Once Bon Jovi got rid of the original bassist (why did he keep drawing that bloody black line beard ?), I think that was a good thing that they did.

Ritchie Kotzen going into Mr. Big ? Great guitarist, but it was never the same. A good album, yeah, but not a great album. Mind you, I didn't think much of Hey Man, apart from Going Where The Wind Blows. However, I still have yet to get there last album that was only released in Japan.

Extreme, when they brought in the new drummer on Waiting For The Punchline. The drums sounded great on that album.

Whitesnake with Vai ? I liked the album, but then again, I can't really compare it to the other albums, cuz I don't have any of them ! D'oh !

Marillion replacing Fish with Hogarth. Was not impressed at first. Then they went and wrote Easter, Uninvited Guest, Hooks In You, Man Of A Thousand Faces, Cover My Eyes, and No One Can. Needless to say, I was converted...

And lastly, when Brian left Westlife, I was absolutely gutted !!!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts

LOL!

·
Registered
371 Posts

What about Brad Gillis filling the late great Randy Rhoads shoes? - I thought he did a great job of filling in on the Speak of the Devil tour. I think it was a loss to replace him with Jake E. Lee. And I think Zakk is where he belongs. I just don;t think Ozzy will be able to perform much longer- and that'll be everyone's loss.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts

I know he's got fans here, and I enjoyed the CD somewhat, but how about Gary Cherone? Let the Toast bashing begin.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

That was Paul Bostaph (sp?) who replaced Dave Lombardo. But Lombardo is back now.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Iron Maiden definitely had some bad decisions when it came down to switching members. Blaze NEVER even came close to Bruce!! I don't think Janick Gers taking over from Adrian Smith was a particularly great idea either...

However, one line-up change I think did work out just great, is Ripper taking over from Halford in Judas Priest!!! (Sorry to all the Halford fans out there, I guess I'm in for a serious ass-kickin' with a bold statement like this!!! ) I'm a huuuuuge fan of Rippers work, both on the Jugulator album, and the latest Iced Earth effort.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

[ QUOTE ]
evilpenguin said:
Iron Maiden definitely had some bad decisions when it came down to switching members. Blaze NEVER even came close to Bruce!! I don't think Janick Gers taking over from Adrian Smith was a particularly great idea either...

However, one line-up change I think did work out just great, is Ripper taking over from Halford in Judas Priest!!! (Sorry to all the Halford fans out there, I guess I'm in for a serious ass-kickin' with a bold statement like this!!! ) I'm a huuuuuge fan of Rippers work, both on the Jugulator album, and the latest Iced Earth effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jan Gers replacing Adrian was a stroke of luck. At that point, the members of Maiden would have been late 30's and to find a guy who had exactly the same taste in music, exactly the same age and exactly the same background (except for the North/South thing) was a find. When I heard Jan was in, I thought it was perfect as he was there, just waiting to get back on the horse after Gillan and a brief spell working with Fish.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

hehhe..
how about dave navarro replacing john frusciante in the chili peppers?

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yeah, thats a good one andrew...he came back tho! Did you know he lost all his teeth with his addiction and had to have a new set when he rejoined the band?

·
Registered
886 Posts

Well I think 'One Hot Minute' is the best RHCP album. I'm not too fussed on the other stuff but Dave Navarro is class.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts

I'll go along with that. Never really got the Chilis but Navarro seemed pretty onside and wasn't scared to whack up the gain.

re-reading this post makes me wonder if there is a transfer window involved with all these bands...

·
Registered
313 Posts

Wahwah:

Heh, I guess you're right, I never thought of that way...
Maiden could definitely have done worse than Gers!!

Still, I always did, and still do, enjoy Adrian's playing more than I do Jan's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'band line-up changes that haven't worked', it depends in the point of view. the better example is van halen, if you like david lee roth, then the sammy hagar era is a shame.

mr big's change gilbert for kotzen was not the problem, the real one was sheehan-martin. but if you want to hear some good stuff with kotzen & sheehan then get the AI SENSHI ZxR cd.

in my opinion, this changes really didn't worked:
van halen III > gary cherone on vocals
iron maiden > blaze bailey on vocals (2 albums!!)
deep purple > tommy bolin on guitars
barón rojo > since sherpa & hermes was fired... around 1989.
... but i you take a look, all this changes didn't work because the inmediate release was a mess. really bad albums.
then, i didn't care about the drummer in 'waiting for the punchline'.
or if in 'magica' dio has the same formation.
...or a new bassist in metallica for 'st. anger' (who cares?)

G

·
tommy thayer replacing ace frehley
tony martin replacing ray gillen
blaze bayley replacieng bruce dickenson
ripper owens replacing rob halford
john corabi replacing vince neil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts