Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone watch this reality series? I'm hooked on it. Last night the show featured Judas Priest alot and Rob Halford judged some originals that the kids performed after getting only 24 hours to write and arrange them. I would have crapped my pants.

They showed a brief shot of The Priest playing live and Ozzy with Sabbath. Seeing all those young kids bangin' their heads to Priest made me proud!!!!:bannana_g

I was bangin' my head to Priest and Sabbath before they were born!!:rock:I couldn't care less about the teenage death metal bands at ozzfest. Priest blows that crap away......30 years and still going strong. Since 1974.:icon_thum

·
Banned
156 Posts
Yea i've stumbled on that show. Although, i prefer those deathmetal bands at ozzfest over the shitty "nu metal ones" that aren't even remotely metal.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I know what you mean about the cookie monster vocals. As for the no-solos those are the lower end of Dm bands, there are a select number of them with killer solos. I used to be real into deathmetal, but i grew out it. Not really my thing anymore at all, but I can still respect certain bands that seem to be more melodic and DO have solos (and killer drummers like Gene Hoglan \m/DEATH!!!!). To me though, it still beats those weak whiny "nu metal" bands that wouldn't know how to play their instruments or talk about metal if their lives depended on it. I would actually rather hear cookie monster vocals with blast beats and overly distorted speed riffs then some guy in a linkin park t shirt whining about how his parents got divorced with the most simp-ed out boring 2 powerchord riff and quarter note drum beat going on.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
cookie monster vocals made my day. i was looking for a way to describe them. i have a son who plays drums in one of those cover bands and i just can't get into that style of music. no solos and no singing? not for me. take me back to the 70's when musicians had talent and could be called musicians. i think most guitar players today haven't spent any time mastering the guitar before hitting the road and cant do anything more than strum a few power chords

·
Banned
156 Posts
"i think most guitar players today haven't spent any time mastering the guitar before hitting the road and cant do anything more than strum a few power chords" I agree. But - But - But - ........... I feel the same way about hair bands. They couldnt play anymore then a few powerchords and an A minor pent scale. And the cheesy vocals piss me off. So where's the metal? Somewhere inbetween the two worlds.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lydian said:
"i think most guitar players today haven't spent any time mastering the guitar before hitting the road and cant do anything more than strum a few power chords" I agree. But - But - But - ........... I feel the same way about hair bands. They couldnt play anymore then a few powerchords and an A minor pent scale. And the cheesy vocals piss me off. So where's the metal? Somewhere inbetween the two worlds.
That hairband statement only applies to a small percentage of 80's bands. There are cheesy bands in every decade of music style. Most 80's metal bands were extremely talented with guitarists who could play their asses off. Too bad alot of folks especially young people only see the hair and clothes and judge them solely on appearance. 80's Metal is the best and only True Metal there is. There would be NO modern metal if it weren't for 70's hard rock bands like Judas Priest, Sabbath, and 80's bands like the Scorpions, or Iron Maiden. It was just a different time and place thats all.

·
Banned
156 Posts
'There would be NO modern metal if it weren't for 70's hard rock bands like Judas Priest, Sabbath, and 80's bands like the Scorpions, or Iron Maiden. It was just a different time and place thats all." You're right. And those 70s hard rock bands wouldn't exist without the 60's rock bands, who wouldn't exist without the 50's rock bands, who wouldn't exist without jazz and blues. :) So why not go further back.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
All I can say is....I loved the 80's.....and I wish guitar oriented rock would come back....this is the only place I can hear great guitar playing these days.

Sure as hell not on the radio.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ozzfest hasnt been good for a few years. Many artists have gone on record as saying its a shitty tour. Last year was absolute grabage save Priest and Sabbath. I wish Tool and Pantera would go back on it, but Pantera cant anymore :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts