Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv been playing for about 5 years, i dont think i suck dont get me wrong, i can pick fairly good i would think, alternate picking, sweeping, playing really fast or slow to different beats and timing i guess.

i never took a day of lessons or have even played in the same room with someone else that plays, commonly called jamming by others. mainly just learned from alot of tabs online.

im somewhat confident with my playing, but i always hear other people play guitar and it just bums me out, the way they can bend a note or multiple notes and carry it into one position and hold it and can sustain the note n make it last alot longer.
maybe its my guitar with rust on the pickups and worn out frets, considering it was a second hand guitar before i even bought it, but maybe its my equipment which is giving me a hard time bending my strings.

then again maybe not everything i can learn as easily on my own.
as for bending a note, from what i can garther, and it fairly basic.

i can bend the string up a wee bit ways or down a wee bit ways, and if done right will sound exactly as the next fret up or down on that same string, so just bending up or down a half step, and the same with a full step, this i can seem to do and am getting better at, but i have a hard time hitting that same pitch or tone when bending a string over n over. i mean i can add a few more notes here n there and shred or sweep it like a arpeggio style fairly easily.
but that no longer leaves me with a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day.

im not really trying to change my style of playing but i just want to be able to bend more notes and keep them bent and then do a lil vibrato on the string once its bent lol, that i have problems with.

when bending a string and doing vibrato would it be easy to focus on shaking my hole forearm, or just perhaps my hand, not sure what others think of that, i know it all comes down to whatever feels right for you.

not really any main point to this thread just had to share and vent personally, and hoping it will make me feel better and maybe play a little differently or more free minded and relaxed lol.

hearing all those sounds like van halen shredding up n down with so many hammer ons and pull offs thats fairly easy for me to learn, and play and adapt to my own style.

it also seems i always bend the same strings, and for the most part cant connect the bent note properly.
for example 14th fret on the g and 12th on the b. always hit those 2 notes n bend the 14th up really high too high and then continue on to for example do a quick sweep like on the 17th fret on the A, 16 on the D , 14 on the g, and so forth maybe the problem is i dont even know the name of half the chords n notes i play , even more problematic that iv spent so long learning the notes in chords n such a way that now i have to go back n relearn it all but filling that gap in my head by learning the actually note names.

i dunno im just talking
if anyones got any good sequences for bending strings that might help me out im thinking of a few now as i type this that im gonna try in a minute lol.

k well over n out,

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
well i really just skimmed through your long post but i get your problem and sorry its not an easy solution. String bending first of all has to be in tune...if you cant tune a guitar by ear then stretching in tune will be difficult. When stretching really high, you use your nail to push other strings out from the neck while stretching the string under them. A touch of vibrato at the top of the stretch if you hold it is important otherwise come down fast from it. That all i can say to help....hope it does

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heres some good advice I took up to late in my playing but its true. Bend from the wrist not with your fingers, same goes with vibrato. Helps studying your favourite players as theres so many different details.

Also get your metronome(you DO have a metronome right?) and do vibratos to a comfortable tempo in 8th triplets and 16ths. Boring but it works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing you can try doing when practicing bending is to hit the note that your going to bend to before you bend it so that you know your target pitch your going for. If you don't know what i mean try this (Make sure your guitar is in tune!): Say your doing a whole step bend from the fifth fret on the high E string. Pluck the note on the 7th fret of that high E string to first hear the sound of the note and then go to the 5th fret on the same string and bend it until you reach that note. Try practicing that with 1/2 steps, 1 1/2, and 2 (or even more if you'd like). I hope this helped you in some way or another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
play fo example on the g string the 4. fret, than bend the 2. fret that it sounds like the 4. make this up to the 12. fret and faster, its good to warm up and practising =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts