Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. That gives a thorough breakdown of alot of the techniques he uses. Also, check out Marty Friedman's Melodic Control if you can find. Im pretty sure you can find alot of both on video.google:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm sure there are some bad ones out there but you need to remember that none of them are going to make you Gilbert fast in a day. Any skill takes time to master and speed is one of those things that just takes time and a load of practive to achieve, and I'm not saying you are one of these people that thinks one little lick played 3 times makes you faster than the speed of light but I am saying that you have to dedicate yourself to it to achieve it.

Best of Luck --

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I picked up Rock Discipline and Batio's Speed Kills stuff a while back. I think they're real good. I'm mainly just curious if there's anything out there better that I might not of heard about.

I'll definitely check out Melodic Control. Mucho appreciated.

I agree that building chops especially in a melodic way takes sometimes years of practice. It does for me anyway because I practice it, don't practice it, then pick it up again. I didn't get into shredding until a few years ago, so the style's not really imprinted with me.

Up until then I was mainly a legato player. I started realizing you can't be as melodic as you can when you're picking notes. Thrashing up and down scales in legato form gets a little old. ...I want to play that fast, but with a whole lot of melody.:beerbang:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
AtomicBomb said:
T

Up until then I was mainly a legato player. I started realizing you can't be as melodic as you can when you're picking notes. Thrashing up and down scales in legato form gets a little old. ...I want to play that fast, but with a whole lot of melody.:beerbang:
Well, you can just do like this freaking insane guy:

http://www.onethataps.com

Check out his work, all tapped, yet it sounds picked?!

As for good speed exercises, hands down, the best book I have ever come across is Troy Stetina's "Speed Mechanics for the Lead Guitar", study that book religiously and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If your into tapping speed you may want to look into Dave Celentano's book "Over the Top", absolutly crazy 8 finger tapping stuff, you can check him out on youtube as well and get an idea of what I mean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2 videos ive watched and loved:

Marty Friedman - Melodic Control
MAB - Speed Kills

Both incredible. You can find the full Melodic Control vid on google video :)

MAB DVD has some tabs with it, dunno if you have them or not, if you need them I have them in PDF form.

I think some good ways to build speed are to 1. train your fingers so you learn the best ways (sometimes not easiest) to build speed, 2. make sure your PPS is as fast as you need it, if not do some excercises for that 3. Find songs with shred licks in, take a bar or two and just practise them till your up to speed. Nothing like the real thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, that dude's two tapping vids...that's NUTS!! I loved it!!
Petrucci's "Rock Discipline"...great book/vid, but not for the faint of finger:laff:
I bought something off of Ebay just because I had a coupon. It was called "Shred Academy." It's actually not bad...the newer versions come with video files to help you." It's not Batio or anything like that, but gets the beginning/intermediate shredder off on the right foot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts