Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys~

Everyones opinion on the best Vai disc? I only own "Flexable" and am in the process of looking for more.

Thanks

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
theres going to be a lot of shouts for Passion and Warfare. Personally I prefer Flex-able but Passion is an astonishing work.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Passion and Warfare is a mindblowingly astounding piece of work the likes of which the guitar world will never see again. Check out "The Riddle" track from that album, next to some "local" fellows named Ender and Allyrulez, I've never heard guitar composition on that level before.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Passion and Warfare.

For the Love of God, is my favorite all time instrumental.
it ooozes feel aswell as awesome technique, the emotion I can feel when listening
to that is just awesome.

The Live version on the G3 CD is just incredible.

stay cool
:irock: Bully

·
Registered
335 Posts
People are gonna flame me for this, but I thought Steve's work on the Whitesnake album was awesome! Now, from a solo standpoint, I think he gets a much better tone live, and hearing some of his tunes stripped down sound better to me (which would make any of his live performances on disc "the best"), but for studio offerings, Passion and Warfare is the best. Actually, just about any of his stuff that doesn't have him singing or using too much Coral sitar.....

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
yeah. gotta be Passion & Warfare. you can't really go wrong with any Vai album. But for the pinacle of his creativity. Its got to be Passion & Warfare.

To me... Passion & Warfare is ALL the good things of the whole "shred" movement. and NONE of the bad things. The way Vai "composes" is just breathtaking. Alot of shredders from that era just took a boring backing and jammed over it. But Vai orchestrates (in all his albums and songs) and composes. He really uses the guitar as an instrument in the song. Not as the entire focu of the song itself.

Fire Garden is a wonderful record too. but you simply have to own Passion & Warfare. its a must buy for any guitar maniac. Even if they dont like Vai. its just pure genius guitar instrumental beauty. Its an orgy of techique, feel, emotion, musical intelligence and composition. with a mighty helping of humour thrown in for good measure.

think ive said all i need to. if you dont buy Passion & Warfare it is indeed your loss. lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
dude buy every vai solo album if you dont have the cash at the moment to buy all at once buy
passion and warfare at first
note do not lisn to passion and warfare as induvisual tracks lisn to like u would watch a movie cause that album is very powerfull and should be heard together

alien love secrets
get the video and also the audio cd every track is amazing but i didnt like ya yo gakk much

real illusions reflections
the track building a church and lotus feet are probably some of the greatest since audience is lisning and for the love of god

firegarden
the song crying machine is absolutly brilliant so is dyin day and hand on heart

sex and religion
brilliant album one of the high lights is a song called touching tongues

the ultra zone
awesome tracks with jibbom and the blood and tears

alive in an ultra world
awesome live album giant balls of gold rules

·
Registered
109 Posts
Passion & warfare is a classic, so that's a must. My favorite is "Alien Love Secrets" - most rock album Vai ever made. I like Ultra Zone and Firegarden as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yep I'd say Passion and Warfare is a hands down winner. One of my fav. gtr albums. He does things with the gtr on that album I couldn't even have dreamt. In fact love secrets was supposedly based on a dream Vai had where he was in the middle of some kind of huge orchestra and every note he played they would harmonise and build on - and no matter what he played it sounded amazing. I'd say he came close to capturing that with that album. Other than that Sex and Religion and Alien Love Secrets would be my other fav's. I really dig Devin Townsends singing on S & R.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't buy Passion & Warfare unless you have hours upon hours of free time to pratice guitar. It's THAT inspirational.

This will be you after listening..

:jawdrop: :shocked: :77:

Guaranteed

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd say my favourate would be either passion and warfare or alien love secrets.

'Juice' blows me away.

Just to say I've played the eat 'em and smile guitar (double neck), it was on show at hard rock cafe...
:hsdance:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
fonosatch said:
I've played the eat 'em and smile guitar (double neck), it was on show at hard rock cafe...
:hsdance:
I saw it...in Orlando...along with one of Ed's frankies!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I wish I had something original to say....but I think Passion and Alien Love secrets are the 2 best.

I have never actually heard Flexable....I guess I should jump over to E-bay and get one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts