Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to tahnk you publically for your linux recording apps suggestions.

Ardour (multi track recording) is a kick ass program and its open source!

I finally got around to installing hydrogen (software drum machine) and this program is sweet... who needs to pay for software when its a download away :D

although.. I regret that I had to ditch slackware for a while... I could not get midi working on slack, Installed Mandrake 10.1 and bam midi works (i think alsa needed to be recompliled with midi support now that I think about it)

Anyways.. If any of you guys have a second machine (or a mac) you all should really check out linux and these programs.. top notch stuff :D

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
trey85stang said:
Just wanted to tahnk you publically for your linux recording apps suggestions.

Ardour (multi track recording) is a kick ass program and its open source!

I finally got around to installing hydrogen (software drum machine) and this program is sweet... who needs to pay for software when its a download away :D

although.. I regret that I had to ditch slackware for a while... I could not get midi working on slack, Installed Mandrake 10.1 and bam midi works (i think alsa needed to be recompliled with midi support now that I think about it)

Anyways.. If any of you guys have a second machine (or a mac) you all should really check out linux and these programs.. top notch stuff :D
No prob. Glad to help. Ardour keeps getting better every release. You can also look into things like lillypond and such to make sheet music and tab. Also, go to the amateur home recording forum and I posted an article that has links in it to important and useful programs. For instance programs to route midi through a soundfont program into jack. Everything is going jack...it's cool. If you haven't found it, look for a program called QJackCtl...it has made my life much easier since I discovered its existance.

If you liked Slackware you might also try Gentoo. It takes a bit more to get going in both time and knowledge, but I like it a lot. I also came from Slackware (Slack 2.7 was my first Linux if I recall correctly). If you can read and understand the FM then Gentoo isn't any problem...just time consuming. Mandrake is a good one though...nice and easy all around; Mandrake is the one I recommend to people that have never used Unix; it is very easy to install and automatically recognizes almost everything. Armed with a copy of Mandrake and a book like "Linux for Dummies" (something FOR Mandrake probably better) and just about anyone can get going and productive with Linux.

There are also the audio distributions, and I forget their names, and I also ran into an audio pack for slackware and I forget the name of it...all the .tgz packages to make a daw though.

Anyway, glad you enjoy it. I'm happy as a clam with the linux daw shit. I wholeheartedly disagree with those that say it isn't ready for serious work. If I had the material, the studio, the hardware, and the expertice I know I could take a production project from start to finish with nothing but Linux, and it would be proffesional quality. I am working on getting those things.

Reactions: ericgtr

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
trey85stang said:
(i think alsa needed to be recompliled with midi support now that I think about it)
Oh, btw, I doubt that. There are very few cards that actually do midi anymore. It used to be that all soundcards had midi devices on them and would convert it into dsp and send to that thing. I think there is actually only one now, at least only one with a Linux driver if there are others, and that is a SB card of some sort (mine doesn't). Current soundcards route midi to an external synth only, with of course a few noted exceptions.

Now you use programs like tmidity++ that do what the original midi section of soundcards used to do. TMidity++ uses the SB soundfont format (I think) and acts like a midi device (or can be configured to) that just converts into wav and sends to the dsp. If you do a 'ps ax' you will probably see some sort of midi deamon running and it could very well be tmidity. You probably also have a set of soundfonts installed, there is an OS set that I have on my system and this is probably what came with Mandrake.

The cool thing about Mandrake over say Gentoo is you don't need to know any of that...it just sets it all up. I had to discover these things and tell Gentoo to put them in.

There are other options that give you a nice gui interface to control channels and soundfonts and pass the output to jack and then of course routed anywhere. I haven't played with any yet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nroberts said:
Oh, btw, I doubt that. There are very few cards that actually do midi anymore. It used to be that all soundcards had midi devices on them and would convert it into dsp and send to that thing. I think there is actually only one now, at least only one with a Linux driver if there are others, and that is a SB card of some sort (mine doesn't). Current soundcards route midi to an external synth only, with of course a few noted exceptions.

Good info! I was unaware that most soundcards did not support midi. I could not for the life of me get midi files or midi anything to play w/ slackware even with timidity. I checked every website known to man, added virtual midi devices etc.. just wouldnt work.

As for gentoo, Im not much for compiling software if a package is available. I only compile if I have to to get x feature or if there is not a package already built. I attempted an install on gentoo 2 years ago or so... This was on a P3 I did a stage 3 (full source install) and after day 2 of compiliing.. I killed the install and went back to slackware. I am sure I will give it a try when they have their GUI installer built. I remember printing out the install instructions and it was like 120 pages of fine print :eek:

BTW, my first distro was Redhat 7.2 :cool: I still have the box somewhere.. I actually bought it!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
trey85stang said:
Good info! I was unaware that most soundcards did not support midi. I could not for the life of me get midi files or midi anything to play w/ slackware even with timidity. I checked every website known to man, added virtual midi devices etc.. just wouldnt work.

As for gentoo, Im not much for compiling software if a package is available. I only compile if I have to to get x feature or if there is not a package already built. I attempted an install on gentoo 2 years ago or so... This was on a P3 I did a stage 3 (full source install) and after day 2 of compiliing.. I killed the install and went back to slackware. I am sure I will give it a try when they have their GUI installer built. I remember printing out the install instructions and it was like 120 pages of fine print :eek:

BTW, my first distro was Redhat 7.2 :cool: I still have the box somewhere.. I actually bought it!

I don't think Gentoo will ever be an 'easy' install; it was easy for me, but I have extensive experience. The cool thing about Gentoo is yeah, it takes 2-3 days to install but first, you can pretty much walk away and let it do it, and second once it is finished installing new packages is mostly a breeze. I like that I can customize my packages to do what I want, and only what I want...like with servers this is important because some things you just don't want available because they are security risks. Portage is like the best of compiling your own and packages.

Also, you can install the GRP now. It is basically a set of packages to get you up and running so you don't have to compile a bunch of stuff. Stuff like X, Gnome, Mozilla, the things that take forever that are usually installed on a desktop are there already built.

I didn't print the instructions, I read them as I installed with lynx. They are definately long.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
nroberts said:
There are also the audio distributions, and I forget their names, and I also ran into an audio pack for slackware and I forget the name of it...all the .tgz packages to make a daw though.
Just ran into these again....here they are for anyone wondering:

http://www.agnula.org/
http://www.audioslack.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts